Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 12:18 PM

1,070 posts, read 615,372 times

Advertisements

My FIL is always going on about how bad the government is, how wasteful, and how we don't need ANY government (except for national defense). I'm more moderate and to keep the peace I don't ever say anything back to him. It's just not worth it.

So he goes up to the mountains to live for three months and comes back after one month complaining about the people up there as the house that my in-laws were living in was not on a road maintained by the government. Thus, it has potholes all over the place. An option was brought to the community that they can all "pitch in" together to pave the road from a private company but would cost them $500 each. They all said NO WAY. Now my in-laws have moved back to their non-mountain home because the road was tearing up the car. LOL.

Here's the takeaway: Non one wants the government until they are needed-- then we find out that if we leave something to private citizens it won't get done anyway. HA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 12:21 PM

9,732 posts, read 9,685,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
My FIL is always going on about how bad the government is, how wasteful, and how we don't need ANY government (except for national defense). I'm more moderate and to keep the peace I don't ever say anything back to him. It's just not worth it.

So he goes up to the mountains to live for three months and comes back after one month complaining about the people up there as the house that my in-laws were living in was not on a road maintained by the government. Thus, it has potholes all over the place. An option was brought to the community that they can all "pitch in" together to pave the road from a private company but would cost them $500 each. They all said NO WAY. Now my in-laws have moved back to their non-mountain home because the road was tearing up the car. LOL.

Here's the takeaway: Non one wants the government until they are needed-- then we find out that if we leave something to private citizens it won't get done anyway. HA

The better solution is to purchase a vehicle that won't get "tore up" on an unpaved road. It's called a truck.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:23 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,463,984 times
Quote:

I don't see the funny part. Your FIL is right, by the way.

If the community doesn't want to fix the road, it doesn't want to fix the road. What does a government have to do with anything?

Old 03-01-2017, 12:23 PM

36,858 posts, read 17,227,886 times
Interesting timing of this thread.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:33 PM

1,070 posts, read 615,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

If the community doesn't want to fix the road, it doesn't want to fix the road. What does a government have to do with anything?
Because if it was a government road it would have been paved. Call, complain to the county and eventually it would get done as part of a routine tax.

No one sees the irony here regarding my FIL wanting the road paved and it not occurring because the residents won't anti up to do it? Sheesh lighten up people...

Old 03-01-2017, 12:35 PM

68,279 posts, read 54,035,967 times
Quote:

Ever read the Constitution?

Old 03-01-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Because if it was a government road it would have been paved. Call, complain to the county and eventually it would get done as part of a routine tax.

No one sees the irony here regarding my FIL wanting the road paved and it not occurring because the residents won't anti up to do it? Sheesh lighten up people...
I don't see the irony.

If the government is responsible for a road, it should fix it.

If the road is private, the residents are responsible for fixing it or not fixing it.

Where's the irony?

Old 03-01-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Ever read the Constitution?
Where does the Constitution say that the government needs to fix private roads?

Old 03-01-2017, 12:54 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,449,697 times
Quote:

All this proves is that he is an idiot since the move most likely cost him more than $500.

BTW, does your FIL want zero government?

Old 03-01-2017, 12:56 PM

9,732 posts, read 9,685,763 times
Quote:
Where does the Constitution say that the government needs to fix private roads?
.... or ANY roads that are not created for postal use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies