Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 09:05 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,021,009 times

Advertisements

Mob violence in lawless Paris as video shows 'woman tourist' viciously attacked | Daily Mail Online

...doesn't seem to be much point now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 09:37 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,567,369 times
Muslims are turning France into a hell-hole (aka Muslim country).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHzUnOya7Mw

Old 08-01-2016, 09:40 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,787,818 times
I'm declaring a requirement for this thread: only people that have visited Paris can comment.

And by the way, your assumption is completely ridiculous. Paris is one of the most vibrant and beautiful cities in Western Europe. It seems people now days are slaves to sensationalist media who thrives off of fear.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I'm declaring a requirement for this thread: only people that have visited Paris can comment.

And by the way, your assumption is completely ridiculous. Paris is one of the most vibrant and beautiful cities in Western Europe. It seems people now days are slaves to sensationalist media who thrives off of fear.
It sounds like a lot fewer people are visiting. I wonder why?

Attacks Take Toll on French Tourism | Inter Press Service

Old 08-01-2016, 09:50 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
I was in Paris 20 odd years ago when France won the World Cup when they hosted it. That was awesome, and I'm not even that much of a kickball fan.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
You haven't even been there, why are you making this thread. Of course it's inaccurate.
How so.

Does the airport count?

Seems like a tourism to Europe in general is way down:

Experts: Tourists avoiding Europe after terror attacks - USA Today
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...3.../82268504/
USA Today
Mar 29, 2016 - Hopper's data shows that searches by travelers considering Europe are down 13% so far this year, compared to the same period last year.
U.S. Warns American Tourists in Europe of Possible Terrorist Attacks ...
fortune.com/2016/06/01/europe-terrorist-attacks/
Jun 1, 2016 - Disney Infinity Closing Down For Good in March 2017 July 30, 2016 ... The U.S. Is Warning American Tourists in Europe About Possible ...
European tourism plunges after Brussels and Paris terror attacks ...
https://www.rt.com/business/337612-b...lasts-tourism/
RT
Mar 29, 2016 - Holiday bookings are down throughout Western Europe after two terrorist attacks in four months alter the perception of safety on the continent.
Australian travellers turn away from Europe tourism as terror fears persist
http://www.news.com.au/.../europe/........News.com.au
May 10, 2016 - Australian travellers turn away from Europe tourism as terror fears persist ... Turkey: Visitor numbers down 35.8 per cent in first quarter of 2016, ...
European tourism hit hard by terrorist attacks - MarketWatch
MarketWatch: Stock Market News - Financial News › Industries › Leisure/ArtsMarketWatch
Mar 28, 2016 - European tourism hit hard by terrorist attacks ... the hotel sector's health--was down 13% over the first two months of 2016 compared with a year ...
European tourism hurt by terrorism, air crashes - MarketWatch
MarketWatch: Stock Market News - Financial News › General › International newsMarketWatch
May 24, 2016 - European tourism hurt by terrorism, air crashes ... that recent terror attacks could drive down ticket prices more generally across Europe.
Brussels terror attacks hit Europe-wide travel - CNBC.com
Brussels terror attacks hit Europe-wide travel
CNBC
Apr 1, 2016 - Brussels terror attacks hit Europe-wide travel ... where international arrivals are seen down 24 percent, multiple major cities in Europe will ... "Frankly, Europe, being a number one destination for tourism, will always be on the ...
Europe's Travel, Tourism Sectors Sent Reeling by Brussels Attacks ...
http://www.wsj.com/.../europes-trave...ling-by-...The Wall Street Journal
Mar 22, 2016 - Europe's Travel, Tourism Sectors Sent Reeling by Brussels Attacks ... Officials early in the day shut down air and rail links in and out of the city, ...
As refugees stream into Europe, tourists face their own set of ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/...eu...s.../31dde884-...
The Washington Post
Oct 8, 2015 - As refugees stream into Europe, tourists face their own set of questions .... Knauf said the inspections are random and could slow down travel.
Terrorism Scares Away the Tourists Europe Was Counting On - The ...
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/.../e...rism.htm...The New York Times
4 days ago - Terrorism Scares Away the Tourists Europe Was Counting On ... 0.3 percent from April to June, down from 0.6 percent in the previous quarter.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:52 PM

21,151 posts, read 19,736,448 times
This happens in the U.S. frequently on college campuses after sporting events. Booze + drugs + mobs = trouble.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:

I'll do you one better...I've LIVED there. I also visited regularly in the early 1990s and the difference 15 years made was startling.

I wasn't in fear of my life when I lived there, but it definitely felt less safe than it did in the early 90s. Lots more third world immigrants, lots more petty crime. I rarely saw people openly assaulting each other in broad daylight, but it did happen from time to time. (Ditto every other European country.)

Old 08-02-2016, 08:18 AM

401 posts, read 650,148 times
Paris is safer than any US city. I could understand the Swiss or I don't know people from Japan saying Paris is unsafe but Americans ? America is third world when it comes to crime and overall safety, America's homicide rate is 3 times France's.

When it comes to tourism, it's understandable that some people don't want to visit a country that was just attacked by terrorists, people on vacation don't want to have to think about those things and want to have fun and relax. However tourists are still everywhere in France even after the Nice attacks, the number of tourists may be lower than last year but France is still going to top the list of the most visited countries on Earth, whether French bashing anglo media likes it or not

Last edited by ryever; 08-02-2016 at 08:39 AM..

Old 08-02-2016, 08:26 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
Paris is safer than any US city. I could understand the Swiss or I don't know people from Japan saying Paris is unsafe but Americans ? America is third world when it comes to crime and overall safety, America's homicide rate is 3 times France's.
What skews our numbers so bad? Urban areas.

If you talk on CD about how dangerous urban cities like Chicago or DC are, you'll be quickly told that it's only certain areas.

The US is no more dangerous than France if you stay out of specific areas of these cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies