Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 03:01 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,640,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Maybe because we want to keep the lights on???
We could keep the lights on with natural gas and the newest generation of nuclear power plants. And nuclear power is statistically safer than coal or solar.

Nuclear Danger Still Dwarfed by Coal
Deaths from Nuclear Energy Compared with Other Causes - The Energy Collective

But the republicans want coal power because the coal corporations give the republicans campaign money. And then the republicans bash alternative energy sources (when alternative energy sources create more jobs than all other power sources combined.)

https://www.opensecrets.org/industri...us.php?ind=E01
US solar power employs more people than oil, coal and gas combined, report shows | The Independent

Last edited by chad3; 03-01-2017 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 03:02 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,457,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm happy someone was able to answer why the last US nuclear plant was built in the 1970s. The Hard Greens essentially killed nuclear, they're now working on coal. In my little neck of the woods they're going after natural gas.

It's only a matter of time before they start hitting solar and wind.
Nope. Absolutely incorrect. Newest nuclear plant went on line in 2016

WATTS BAR II
  • Owner - TVA
  • Location - Spring City, Tenn.
  • Went critical May 23, 2016
  • Connected to power grid Jun 3, 2016
  • Fully operational Oct 19, 2016
  • Nominal power - 1218 Me
There are also 4 more nukes under construction in the USA.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:02 PM

1,896 posts, read 806,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
How silly. Your links are nonsense.

Solar power isn't a viable alternative. It's a pin prick solution that wouldn't even exist without massive taxpayer assistance.
Says the person who thinks 50% of electricity comes from coal..... talk about nonsense.

Solar and wind are outpacing all other generation globally. When fossil fuels stop taking subsides, let me know. K thanks.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:05 PM

18,755 posts, read 18,026,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I would be curious as to the # of nuclear plants it takes to account for 20% of the energy share vs the # of coal plants it takes to produce its 33% share.

I would assume, with no foreknowledge, that a single nuclear plant has a substantially higher energy output than a single coal plant since it is harnessing a substantially more energetic physical reaction but I could be wrong.
The problem with nuclear is that it is not fool proof; look at Japan's mess. Heck they are burning up the best robots money can buy trying just to get into the high radiation areas of the old facility. They did not foresee the tsunami and we could very easily underestimate natural and man made events.

With nuclear generating plants humans can not simply walk away; the radiation last for thousands of years. In the first Gulf War we targeted Iraq's oil wells. Nuclear plants are part of our infrastructure and could do considerable damage to our Country if they fail - that paints one big bull's-eye on the side of these reactors. Tsunami's could hit some of our costal reactors as well as earthquakes could hit others. Man is not God and cannot see the future.

I still remember Three Mile Island. The night before it happened I took my wife to the "The China Syndrome". I fought with her on the way home - she stated that we were too smart to have anything like that happen here. I argued that I thought it was very possible. The very next day Three Mile Island was all over the news. Even now I try to remind her that she was wrong at least one time - of course I usually don't win the argument!

1,896 posts, read 806,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Perhaps we won't have to import coal from Columbia and other countires then? https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=67&t=2

Are you talking about fracking? I learned about that when Kasich was speaking about creating jobs, the chemical spills, the breathing problems and the water being poisoned, oh, you were talking about coal? Maybe we should be talking about fracking! Bernie Sanders did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUatEl_J8mw

Why is fracking better than coal mining? It presents even more dangers from what I have read and see Bernie's video clip above.

https://www.desmogblog.com/cornell-f...n-coal-climate

Could fracking be worse for the climate than coal? | PolitiFact Rhode Island

Yes, clean energy would be great, but that requires an investment that companies don't want to make. They rolling in money with the fracking and padding the pockets of politicians to keep it going.

They have been talking clean energy since I was a girl, and that was a LONG time ago. When I was 17 years old in 1971, I remember going to look at electric cars in a showroom in Indiana. Yeah, what happened to that.
There are consequences to everything. Coal is dirty to mine and to burn. Natural gas is dirty to mine but is clean burning. Natural gas releases minimal CO2 and doesn't release SOX, NOX, and particulate matter (like coal and oil) which directly causes smog.

45,071 posts, read 60,120,172 times
Quote:
Nope. Absolutely incorrect. Newest nuclear plant went on line in 2016

WATTS BAR II
  • Owner - TVA
  • Location - Spring City Tenn.
  • Went critical May 23, 2016
  • Connected to power grid Jun 3, 2016
  • Fully operational Oct 19, 2016
OK, I missed that one. It hadn't been activated yet on the document I had. The last one before that started construction in 1973.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:08 PM

18,453 posts, read 9,088,404 times
Quote:
Try reading it again. 37% is from Duke's generation. 50% is the entire country.
The wording is a little vague. It says "37% of our electricity." In context the "our" appears to refer to the United States and not Duke Energy. Maybe I misread it.

EIA data from 2015: https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=427&t=3

Old 03-01-2017, 03:08 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,457,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Says the person who thinks 50% of electricity comes from coal..... talk about nonsense.
I gave link to site that says it. All you offer in insult.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:12 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,640,398 times
Quote:

Solar power isn't a viable alternative. It's a pin prick solution that wouldn't even exist without massive taxpayer assistance.
Its a pin prick that creates more jobs than all other energy sources combined.

US solar power employs more people than oil, coal and gas combined, report shows | The Independent

Old 03-01-2017, 03:13 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,878,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post

I don't think coal can compete.
Some things to realize, traditionally coal plants have made up the bulk of base power and that's probably not going to change much. These plants run almost constantly and the cost of the fuel is very large part of the cost of the electricity. Gas plants traditionally filled the role of intermediary and peaking plants. They were not run at or near full capacity constantly but much more cheaper to start up and shut down. The higher cost of the fuel was not as relevant. They are also cheaper to build and currently more efficient.

They are working on bringing the same high efficient tech to coal plants and if successful gas will be in the same boat it was 8 years ago for base power.... The other side of that coin is they are less costly to fill the roll of backing up intermittent supplies of solar and wind.

At the end of the day neither gas or coal is going anywhere, they both have a role to fill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies