Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 01:11 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm not sure how you get worse than a mentally unstable spoiled brat that views himself as god that can exert power with absolute impunity and has his hands on a nuclear weapon. This is an extremely dangerous person and situation with or without US intervention. You can completely ignore this and still see nuclear war.
And death is inevitable, but that doesn't mean we should tempt it to come early by not wearing seatbelts and skydiving without a backup parachute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 01:16 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
So much for an intelligent discussion on the topic.
Actually, I thought you meant Trump, too.

And Mattis? If Trump will listen.

McMasters told him bad idea to say Radical Islamic Terrorists in the speech, but did Trump listen? Nope, because he knows more than his generals.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:23 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,827 times
Quote:
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but on the other hand this is an extremely dangerous situation no matter what option is taken. For example there has been much speculation about an internal coup and that by itself could trigger a nuclear event. I don;t see diplomatic options going anywhere, you are not dealing with someone that is rational. The option of military intervention is even more dangerous than internal coup, even taking one of these missiles out in flight could have dire consequences.

That's why I would suggest dropping a bomb on his head is the best option but that has it's own issues because it requires very good intelligence which may be largely unavailable.

In any event the lessons here need to be realized, once you have a nuclear state run by irrational and unreasonable leaders the stakes are enormous.
Besides my little quip earlier, I don't think the leaders of NK are all that irrational from a Machavelian perspective. They want to do what it takes to stay in power. I don't think they would ever actually use a nuclear weapon, but they will parade around as if they will as their ultimate bargaining chip.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:24 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how you get worse than a mentally unstable spoiled brat that views himself as god that can exert power with absolute impunity and has his hands on a nuclear weapon. This is an extremely dangerous person and situation with or without US intervention. You can completely ignore this and still see nuclear war.
If Trump and Kim Jong-um were to meet and jawbone for a few hours, Trump would dump his Russian buddy in a heartbeat.

They seem like they were hatched from the same egg.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:27 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,277,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Why should this be China's concern?

What if China's involvement comes with a price-tag, like free reign in the South China Sea?
To put it somewhat simply: because China and North Korea are allies, even though relations have been deteriorating. If North Korea steps too far over the line, China will be held partially responsible. If we get to a point where we feel we're forced to take military action against North Korea, their treaty with each other requires China to aid them. Despite all the talk being bandied about, I seriously doubt China wants to engage us in war.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:36 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,023,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
To put it somewhat simply: because China and North Korea are allies, even though relations have been deteriorating. If North Korea steps too far over the line, China will be held partially responsible. If we get to a point where we feel we're forced to take military action against North Korea, their treaty with each other requires China to aid them. Despite all the talk being bandied about, I seriously doubt China wants to engage us in war.
Thy should leave this to China to handle it. We already fighting so many wars. Adding one more is unnecessary.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:52 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Trump administration looking to keep North Korea from developing a nuclear delivery system that can reach the USA.

White House considering direct military action to counter North Korea - Business Insider
I doubt they are considering any action at all, but instead are simply desperate to change the conversation away from Sessions, Russia, Flynn, Putin and spy master Kislyak ....

Old 03-02-2017, 02:43 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And if they're worse? And attack SK in retribution for our meddling?
SK has a very formidable army they do not want to tangle with, equipped with the latest technology from the U.S. They would be crazy to launch a nuke, the close proximity would put them in danger of fallout.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The Tweeter-in-Chief will likely not even consider a diplomatic solution first. Strongarm tactics are all he knows, and no one in government will stop him.
Why, because you say so? You and no one else knows how he will react and I doubt he will act stupidly with a knee jerk reaction.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
That's how intelligent, rational leaders would approach this. We'll just up the ante and get in a pissing match with a maniac.
The last thing China needs is any trouble near its border. You can bet your azz they are involved already, it is a matter of to what degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies