Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 09:55 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

This idea that a 40 billion dollar wall is going to end illegal immigration is just nuts.

Stop the demand.

Penalize those who hire folks that aren't eVerified. Tie up their assets until a thorough investigation can be done. Go after those with forged documents.

Eliminate the automatic citizenship from being born here. Asian 'anchor babies': Wealthy Chinese come to Southern California to give birth - LA Times

If all those who are so excited about a wall would contact their representatives and insist they do the above immediately, we would see a huge drop in the folks here as well as those coming. It wouldn't take long for the word to get out.

See how big a problem we have a year after enacting the above. See if it's worth spending $40 billion plus maintenance on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 09:58 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Except for one problem, NIMBY. And San Diego is a major port. I don't think ships want to deal with a wall. And who is to say said illegals won't swim around that wall?
The San Diego sector is the model of what it should look like. We also station boats around the clock offshore. A guy that fishes with me works one of them.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:59 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
Dude climbs border fence to show just how ineffective it is, and the solutions provided are:

10,000 volts
Razor wire
Shooting range
Privatization
Charge a toll
etc.

It's like a Curious George episode.
Don't forget Texans with Pellet guns. Pick them off as they hit the wall.

I know a lot of Red Necks that would enjoy.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:00 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Exactly.

Used to lunch with a rather wealthy woman who said she preferred to hire undocumented folks. They were hard workers, never asked for a day off, and didn't give her any guff.
No such thing as undocumented folks they are illegal aliens. Of course the rich like them because that increases their wealth. Americans are hard workers also but they do expect a day off and should be able to complain if they are being treated unfairly. This woman was an advocate of slave labor and was breaking the law all to make herself wealthier. Seems like you're ok with that?

Old 03-03-2017, 10:02 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Except for one problem, NIMBY. And San Diego is a major port. I don't think ships want to deal with a wall. And who is to say said illegals won't swim around that wall?
If you were an illegal, would you want to swim that far?

Old 03-03-2017, 10:05 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No such thing as undocumented folks they are illegal aliens. Of course the rich like them because that increases their wealth. Americans are hard workers also but they do expect a day off and should be able to complain if they are being treated unfairly. This woman was an advocate of slave labor and was breaking the law all to make herself wealthier. Seems like you're ok with that?
That's what it comes down to, and hopefully Trump will start going after losers like this lady.
Maybe anyone caught hiring an illegal should be forced to work on the wall -- either that, or do some jail time.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:05 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
If you were an illegal, would you want to swim that far?
I'm not an illegal, but I would imagine if an illegal was desperate enough, that could happen.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:07 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This idea that a 40 billion dollar wall is going to end illegal immigration is just nuts.

Stop the demand.

Penalize those who hire folks that aren't eVerified. Tie up their assets until a thorough investigation can be done. Go after those with forged documents.

Eliminate the automatic citizenship from being born here. Asian 'anchor babies': Wealthy Chinese come to Southern California to give birth - LA Times

If all those who are so excited about a wall would contact their representatives and insist they do the above immediately, we would see a huge drop in the folks here as well as those coming. It wouldn't take long for the word to get out.

See how big a problem we have a year after enacting the above. See if it's worth spending $40 billion plus maintenance on.

$40 billion? Last I heard tops it would be $25 billion a one time cost. Maintenance wouldn't be that expensive either. Illegals cost us $113 billion a year.

How many times does it have to be repeated that they aren't all coming here for jobs? Do you think that the drug cartels, criminals and terrorists are looking for jobs? However, as I said e-verify should be a part of the solution but not the total one. They can survive here with an anchor baby or two also.

No one expects the wall to be 100% effective but where it has already been built it has been highly effective. I seriously doubt that most of you anti-wall people are opposed to it because of the costs or the lack of its effectiveness. It's completely another agenda. I just wish you'd all be more honest about it.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:09 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
I don't know anyone who can climb that wall.

Besides, comments like the one below are hard to explain by wall cynics:
Quote:
Moises Vazquez, 36, who grew up in Pasadena, California, was deported while facing drug and domestic violence charges this year. He now works as a security guard in Tijuana for 12 hours a day, seven days a week. As a night-shift supervisor, he is paid the equivalent of $1.50 an hour. As a construction worker in California, Vazquez could earn more than $15 an hour.

"I haven't put my mind in TJ," said Vazquez, using a nickname for Tijuana. "For me, I'm American. I was born in Mexico, but I was raised over there. I'm never going to adjust to this. I'm going back; with God's help, I'm going back." Vazquez left behind a wife and two kids in Pasadena.
In Tijuana, Mexicans Deported by U.S. Struggle to Find ?Home?

If it was all that easy, doncha think Moises would just walk back?

Old 03-03-2017, 10:10 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
I'm not an illegal, but I would imagine if an illegal was desperate enough, that could happen.
Once in a while but they've pretty much shut water entry down. Some guy on a jet ski was one last year but it's really rare. That radar on Pt Loma PLUS the one on the base makes it pretty easy to see any vessel. Swimming in 54 to 56 degree water for any length of time would be a very bad idea even with a wet suite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies