Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 12:46 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I thought this was apt, because he does indeed seem like the kind of shallow, glitzy guy a poor person might envision. But I couldn't remember who said it. I just tracked it down. It was Fran Lebowitz.

“He’s a poor person’s idea of a rich person. They see him. They think, ‘If I were rich, I’d have a fabulous tie like that. Why are my ties not made of 400 acres of polyester?’ All that stuff he shows you in his house—the gold faucets—if you won the lottery, that’s what you’d buy.”

Of course, she turned out to be wrong about there not being enough morons.

Let Fran Lebowitz Soothe All Your Election-Related Worries | Vanity Fair
So many questions so little time.

Why does anyone think that an article from Vanity Fair is worthy of serious discussion on the state of politics in our nation?

Why do smarmy liberals like the author of this hit piece think that they can continue to insult and overgeneralize, and still be taken seriously?

Why do so many smarmy, women, liberal, haters look so damn fugly?

Yes. Go ahead and rip me a new one for being so............hell I don't even care enough to come up with the right word. It's all so exhaustingly, IQ lowering, mind numbingly stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 12:59 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
True. He's completely classless. He wants to show off how rich he is, so he sticks his name on things and covers his surroundings in tacky gold.

It's all about the show.

There's a reason he's been trying to break into the upper crust for decades but they want nothing to do with him.
I just can't believe people are this clueless ^^. You do realize that Actors and Actresses sell their name to companies to put on products, all to convince you to buy. Beyoncé has perfumes, Heat, Pulse and Rise. The list goes on. When your famous your name becomes marketable and worth money. So you're saying you wouldn't do it?

Old 03-04-2017, 01:36 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I just can't believe people are this clueless ^^. You do realize that Actors and Actresses sell their name to companies to put on products, all to convince you to buy. Beyoncé has perfumes, Heat, Pulse and Rise. The list goes on. When your famous your name becomes marketable and worth money. So you're saying you wouldn't do it?
Most people understand the concept of branding. They also understand the marketing power of a "name". This is just another thread started for the sole purpose of bashing Trump. And if they can bash those who voted for Trump as well, they're getting a two-fer. Any other claims are just respondents deliberately being banal and/or obtuse.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Most people understand the concept of branding. They also understand the marketing power of a "name". This is just another thread started for the sole purpose of bashing Trump. And if they can bash those who voted for Trump as well, they're getting a two-fer. Any other claims are just respondents deliberately being banal and/or obtuse.
Yes, many do but I'm not sure JasonF others like him do and that's the target of liberal media. They trash trump in the most rediculous ways knowing full well extremist will the parrot what they say. People who don't know any better. And I"m calling him out on the idiocy.

It was once called operation mocking bird.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:32 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Not all white trash lives in trailer parks. Some live at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:34 PM

Operation Mockingbird: a covert operations program beginning in the early 1950s, to manipulate news media for propaganda purposes, and funded student and cultural organizations and magazines as front organisations.

Allowing agents to infiltrate media organizations for any reason threatens to utterly undermine public trust, kill the very concept of journalistic integrity, and throttle the flow of information from sources and whistleblowers concerned with the legitimacy of journalists they contact.

Mockingbird was a response to the creation of a Communist front organization, the International Organization of Journalists, which "received money from Moscow and controlled reporters on every major newspaper in Europe, disseminating stories that promoted the Communist cause.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:35 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Democrats idea of a rich person is someone who makes 200k a year ba ha ha ha. No clue between high income vs true wealth. They think you can live the glitzy life of a limo liberal making that kind of money.

OP, People who show their wealth like Trump and Hollywood Limousine Liberals are called glitzy rich. People who don't strive for proving their worthiness prefer stealth wealth. Yea, nicer things but I don't need a 3 houses like Maddonna, a 10 bedroom houses in CA, London or her $40 million NY appt.

Yea, those limo liberals feel our struggle and they're doing everything they can to stop Trump from helping the American people. Their ok with helping illegal immigrants, they need the maid and the Gardner and the drive. <sarcasm>
Most Democrats I know make over 200k a year.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:38 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Amazingly, these threads are getting dumber the further we get from Election Day.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:41 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,339 times
Trump is the stereotypical classless "new money" kind of rich, everything having to be the biggest and plated in gold, a constant boasting of his wealth. "Old money" finds such grotesqueries to be embarrassing, and indicative of a lack of principled restraint.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Trump is the stereotypical classless "new money" kind of rich, everything having to be the biggest and plated in gold, a constant boasting of his wealth. "Old money" finds such grotesqueries to be embarrassing, and indicative of a lack of principled restraint.
True. Just like celebrities are new money and are gauche. They want to show it off, they want you to idolize them. The difference is celebrities made their money by acting, Trump made his money by investing (provides a service to people and provides many jobs that don't end once a movie is made), name branding (marketing his name) and yes some TV. Big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies