Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 10:26 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You keep on falling back on Obamacare. I do not now nor have I ever supported it.
I'll give you another example of government taking away freedom... people on welfare. These people can't make too much money or they lose the government handout so they can't better themselves. It keeps people dependent on government. If government was truly interested in people coming off welfare they would tier the subsidies so people can be weaned off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 10:38 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I'll give you another example of government taking away freedom... people on welfare. These people can't make too much money or they lose the government handout so they can't better themselves. It keeps people dependent on government. If government was truly interested in people coming off welfare they would tier the subsidies so people can be weaned off.
I absolutely agree and I've commented on this in the past. I would encourage bettering yourself without losing all benefits also.

Ours is a defeatist system.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:49 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,033,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

How can it not bother Republicans that Steven Bannon is a self-described Leninist who hopes to "destroy the state"?

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down."

Steve Bannon, Trump

Thread fail. OP didn't understand the quote from Bannon.

Please lock, close and remove this thread in the interest of Internet hygiene.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I absolutely agree and I've commented on this in the past. I would encourage bettering yourself without losing all benefits also.

When it's all or none, eventually people throw in the towel. It encourages dependency.

Last edited by petch751; 03-04-2017 at 11:55 AM..

Old 03-04-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Liberal teachings are also defeatist. When people are not encouraged to work for their self interest, instead they look for someone to provide. The young tend to be liberals. That's why it hard to launch them into adulthood. When parents provided for their needs, why would they want to grow up.

When you try to shield kids from feeling sad for losing (participation trophy), shield them from offenses (safe spaces) they are not going to be prepared to handle life. You can't shield them forever.

They are not a good examples of how to handle not getting their way and failure. Example.. Trump won, the left went melt down, the "grown ups" reacted by screaming, verbally attacking others, destroying property and committing violence. Yes the children are watching and you are teaching them.

They are being taught that if you don't agree with someone, verbally attack them by calling them names.

There are many more examples

I don't know about you but I would hope my daughter would have more pride than to walk around wearing this.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:13 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,973,733 times
Well, I have now just spent 4 hours listening to Bannon outline who he is and why, what his philosophy is, and listening to various people (from the left, right and center) describing him and saying what they think about him, and reading about Bannon - and there is no way in hell's half acres that I can believe the quote from Bannon that the OP used as the basis for this whole thread is even remotely true. Bannon would NEVER have said that and if you believe that he could/would/or did, you misunderstand him completely.

On the other hand, the quote comes from ONE man who doesn't like Bannon apparently and says Bannon said it to him (not publicly) and when he tried to nail Bannon down (according to him) several days later (presumably so he could get that same quote recorded to use it against Bannon) Bannon said he didn't even remember him but in any event he was not willing to be lured into that kind of a statement as it does not represent his views at all. I am going with Bannon on this one because of his personal reputation, background, etc. vs someone who appears to be on a choreographed self-serving seek and destroy mission.

Exactly how OP can YOU verify that what you quoted was actually said by Bannon and is in full context (note: unless someone else took a series of words and strung them together to get this particular string to support their own aims and biases, I am more than 99% sure Bannon did not say these words at all and certainly not in this order and/or as a single sentence)? Do you have a youtube or transcript of a speech or a book reference or something directly from Bannon that can be verified that I can look at? I am baffled otherwise and have to go with .. Bannon did not say this .. did not mean this and that guy should be sued for saying he did - and the OP might be well advised to not use that quote again unless it can be verified.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:42 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Let's ask the people of extremely liberal Seattle what they think about Bannon with this new claim.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:06 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
[quote=le roi;47393107]I find Bannon really fascinating, personally.

He's incredibly well-read, and at the same time you cannot believe 90% of the things he says. He communicates poorly and his comments are almost totally meaningless when taken out of context. (Like this thread, and like most of the articles I've read about him.)

He's survived (so far) a character assassination by the mainstream media, and frankly has little support from the traditional right-wing media. He has been the target of a LOT of speculative accusations that haven't been proven.

Brietbart is total garbage, but his own views don't seem to line up very well with what Brietbart's overarching message was, despite being a founder/editor/whatever.

Basically, so many people hate him but I don't think anyone knows much about him. I think he's misunderstood, but I don't think that necessarily precludes him from being a dangerous lunatic.[/QUOTE

Bannon is an interesting person. If you read his bio, there's very little one can assume about his nature aside from tabloid speculation. Some of which is contradictory to the "right vs left" laws we've established for all politicians to abide by.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bannon

Navy officer and special assistant to the Chief of Naval Operations.
Investment banker and partial owner of Seinfeld.
Director of the Biosphere 2 project in Arizona, switching from space exploration to global warming and pollution.
Produced 18 films....
Who really knows this guy?

Old 03-04-2017, 03:08 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Liberal teachings are also defeatist. When people are not encouraged to work for their self interest, instead they look for someone to provide. The young tend to be liberals. That's why it hard to launch them into adulthood. When parents provided for their needs, why would they want to grow up.

When you try to shield kids from feeling sad for losing (participation trophy), shield them from offenses (safe spaces) they are not going to be prepared to handle life. You can't shield them forever.

They are not a good examples of how to handle not getting their way and failure. Example.. Trump won, the left went melt down, the "grown ups" reacted by screaming, verbally attacking others, destroying property and committing violence. Yes the children are watching and you are teaching them.

They are being taught that if you don't agree with someone, verbally attack them by calling them names.

There are many more examples

I don't know about you but I would hope my daughter would have more pride than to walk around wearing this.
I'm offended that thing isn't trimmed.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:31 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
How can it not bother Republicans that Steven Bannon is a self-described Leninist who hopes to "destroy the state"?

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down."

Steve Bannon, Trump
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Republicans are evil people. Of course not.
By the time I was 9 years old, I had figured out the difference between republicans and democrats. It helped that my parents and all of their friends were hardcore republicans and I could see the ugliness and stupidity of their values. I didn't even have to know any democrats, to realize how wrong and inhumane those around me were. They were materialistic and bigoted against anyone different than them.

That year, a straw ballot was held in my classroom on election day. I and my desk partner were the only two who voted for the Democrat for president and all 38 others were for the Republican. It was shocking to me, to have to realize that i was surrounded by all of those whose parents had poisoned their minds. But the Democrat won, to the disgust of the other 38 and the two of us didn't win any points with them, for picking his opponent. But my partner and I surely got a good lesson in the value of thinking for oneself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies