Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 07:27 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,150,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You do realize that the Heritage Foundation conjured it up as a way to keep our system based on private insurers, don't you? Obama should have gone for the brass ring - tax funded universal care. Trump should too, but he won't and we will continue to deal with this mess. The republican plans that have been leaked are pretty bad and will put coverage out of the reach of many Americans from the ones on Medicaid now to the millions who will lose their employer coverage when it is no longer a requirement of the law. Seniors will balk at seeing the donut hole come back, too. Maybe the outcry will push us to doing the right thing finally.
Ponderosa - Good post and as you know repubs and trumpies, never like to be reminded that the ACA was based on repub private market principles and the Healthcare program Romney put in place in Massachusetts, thanks for that reminder!

Also, BO wanted to do a public option and even though he had the House and a filibuster proof Senate there were 1-2 democratic senators that still wouldn't go along and obviously zero repub help, so he got the best deal he could, at the time.

Obviously medicare for all was and is the way to go, but the repub knuckledraggers for reasons that are beyond me, will never let it happen. So Donny will soon own a healthcare mess that he won't be able to tweet or lie away. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 07:33 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Now that the Donald has figured out that Health Care Legislation and the planned dismantling of Obamacare is really complicated (who knew) I can barely wait for what he and his repub knuckledraggers are going to come up with to "Repeal and Replace" a program that affects about 1/6 of the US economy.

I think that after seven years of huffing and puffing and passing phony bills to repeal Obamacare, that they knew would never pass and BO would veto, they are now the dog who has caught the car, but that's about it.

Essentially they have nothing but a bunch of half baked ideas that include a combination of tax credits, high risk pools, health savings accounts and wait for it - block grants to the States - a repub fav - to somehow all magically come together, to provide much better healthcare than the ACA, cover more people and my favorite - cost us less!

Can't wait for the rollout of this steaming pile of mish mash which is about to Make America Sick Again, if enacted, but like John Boehner I doubt it will be.
Did you not take American Government in high school? You know, the old 3 branches of government and such. I realize that Obama acted like our government was a monarchy, but it isn't. Trump is returning the government to the people, you know, a government for the people and by the people.

ObamaCareNot was predicted to fail, to be too costly, etc. and it came through on ALL of the predictions. It wasn't working for the majority of insurance companies or the people that needed an affordable insurance plan with reasonable deductibles.

Trump has only been in office for about 6 weeks, and it took Obama 8 years to nearly destroy our economy. At the end of 8 years, Trump will definitely leave us in a better place than Obama did.

ObamaCareNot was meant to try to break our country. Obama was intent on destroying us. Thank God, he failed just like his ObamaCareNot!

The GOP has been trying to rid us of ObamaCareNot for some time. The majority of people are not pleased with ObamaCareNot. This is not just Trump, it is the American people. And, Hillary lost and all the whining in the world isn't going to change it!

Old 03-04-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Did you not take American Government in high school? You know, the old 3 branches of government and such. I realize that Obama acted like our government was a monarchy, but it isn't. Trump is returning the government to the people, you know, a government for the people and by the people.

ObamaCareNot was predicted to fail, to be too costly, etc. and it came through on ALL of the predictions. It wasn't working for the majority of insurance companies or the people that needed an affordable insurance plan with reasonable deductibles.

Trump has only been in office for about 6 weeks, and it took Obama 8 years to nearly destroy our economy. At the end of 8 years, Trump will definitely leave us in a better place than Obama did.

ObamaCareNot was meant to try to break our country. Obama was intent on destroying us. Thank God, he failed just like his ObamaCareNot!

The GOP has been trying to rid us of ObamaCareNot for some time. The majority of people are not pleased with ObamaCareNot. This is not just Trump, it is the American people. And, Hillary lost and all the whining in the world isn't going to change it!
Great - "Trump No Care" coming your way - Good luck with that and people will die as a result!

Old 03-04-2017, 08:01 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Good. I'm sick of picking up the tab for worthless leeches.
You would benefit from a single payer Medicare-for-all system unless you earn several hundred thousand dollars a year. Thats why every single developed country has it.

Picking up the tab for worthless leeches? As long as you want to make buying insurance voluntary, everyone will pay for those who dont have insurance.

Just admit that the real reason you want to prop up big pharma and the insurance companies is because the puppets that you vote for get their campaign funding from these corporations. Without that funding, the puppets you vote for will lose their elections.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:03 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Healthcare has been a nightmare for quite some time and made worse by Obama.
You think it was bad under the ACA? Over 50% of Americans working in the private sector in the early 2000s had no insurance. The American healthcare delivery system has been a nightmare for over 100 years. The ACA is a mandate to purchase insurance, primarily for-profit insurance. Many feel the pain because an employer is not subsidizing much or none at all depending on income. Also, mandated in the ACA law is that insurance companies spend 80 cents out of every dollar on health care. What was it before the ACA? In order for those insurance companies to make up the difference, they've jacked up the premiums and deductibles.

While the United States is controlled by special interest, all first world countries have learned from us----- of what not to do. And they learned this decades ago. And above all they spend less and garner better results overall.

Politics in our delivery of health care makes me sick. My advice to President Trump is he better get it right because if not it will be his Waterloo. HSA accounts, Tort reform and tossing block grants at States aint going to cut it, and never will.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:29 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Now that the Donald has figured out that Health Care Legislation and the planned dismantling of Obamacare is really complicated (who knew) I can barely wait for what he and his repub knuckledraggers are going to come up with to "Repeal and Replace" a program that affects about 1/6 of the US economy.

I think that after seven years of huffing and puffing and passing phony bills to repeal Obamacare, that they knew would never pass and BO would veto, they are now the dog who has caught the car, but that's about it.

Essentially they have nothing but a bunch of half baked ideas that include a combination of tax credits, high risk pools, health savings accounts and wait for it - block grants to the States - a repub fav - to somehow all magically come together, to provide much better healthcare than the ACA, cover more people and my favorite - cost us less!

Can't wait for the rollout of this steaming pile of mish mash which is about to Make America Sick Again, if enacted, but like John Boehner I doubt it will be.

Obamacare is going to FAIL anyway. This is all on the Democrats. It is not the responsibility of President Trump to save it or force insurance companies to stay in the exchanges.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Obamacare is going to FAIL anyway. This is all on the Democrats. It is not the responsibility of President Trump to save it or force insurance companies to stay in the exchanges.
Wrong - but if it were to fail it would be on the "Tweeter in Chief" and the repubs that allow people to lose insurance coverage and die. Neither Donny or the repubs have the cajones to let that scenario play out. Their between a rock and a hard place and have no clue what to do now. Again, dog has caught car - now what?

Old 03-04-2017, 09:32 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
I love watching the Repugs trying to handle health care. SIX YEARS they voted over FIFTY times to REPEAL the ACA. Now, when it's their turn to step up to the plate, they've got that deer-in-the-headlights look on their faces.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:51 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Then he should push for real competition between the insurance companies. As it stands now or what I've heard is a handful of for-profit insurance companies competing across state lines. Not as clear cut as it sounds. Insurance is regulated by the states, counties in states are gerrymandered by the insurance companies. I am convinced insurance companies are not going to allow a high risk person in Florida to purchase insurance from a low risk area of Northern Virginia.

Want real competition? Remove the law that requires non-profit insurance companies to collude with for-profits in order to fix prices in order for for-profits to stay competitive. Enforce anti-trust legislation on insurance companies.......This issue is never talked about and it never shall until the house of cards fall.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:00 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Good. I'm sick of picking up the tab for worthless leeches.
If you get your health insurance through your employer it is being subsidized by the government. That makes YOU the worthless leech we're all picking up the tab for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies