Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 12:16 AM

31,866 posts, read 14,847,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
That is true. There is a lot that goes into the make up of a persons views. If a child is raised in a conservative house where the parents are responsible and the children are given and expected to have more responsibility as the get older, they will tend to have more conservative views.

If a child is raised in a liberal household, parents believe in a world of should's and the parents have no issue with irresponsibility because someone will always help them, they'll probably carry that same attitude with them as they age.
That's not how I was raised at all. My family was poor but they managed to send us to catholic schools. And we had to walk miles to get there. My parents instilled a value in us to help those who needed help because that is what Jesus would do. That's what I was taught by my parents and the church. So those of you who claim to be christian only do denounce those who need help are just christians in sheep clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 12:19 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,589,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
LIBERAL, “Classic” versus “New”
Yes classic vs new is very different.

Classic Liberal (18th century) supported ideas such as free and fair elections, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, free trade, and a right to life, liberty, and private property ownership.

New Liberal (21st century) supported ideas such as social justice, expropriation of property for the benefit of the needy, compelled labor for the benefit of another, and government management of the economy.

New liberalism ideas are contrary to classical liberalism, and are an assault upon absolute ownership of private property, natural and personal liberty and the freedom to exercise same.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
That's not how I was raised at all. My family was poor but they managed to send us to catholic schools. And we had to walk miles to get there. My parents instilled a value in us to help those who needed help because that is what Jesus would do. That's what I was taught by my parents and the church. So those of you who claim to be christian only do denounce those who need help are just christians in sheep clothing.
I too was raised catholic but no longer am. I've seen too much hypocrisy among the church goers. Raise hell Friday night and go to confession asking for forgiveness on Sunday, since and repeat each week.

Just because you go to church means nothing. It has to be in your heart. The bible teaches that we must help each other but it must giving must come from the heart, in now way does the bible teach dependency and thievery.

2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

Old 03-04-2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
God helps those who help themselves and that does not mean help themselves to other people's money or things.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:26 AM

1,438 posts, read 773,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Young people always start out liberal. But once you work for a living, own property, a car, pay taxes, have kids... once you grow up..... you become republican. Low information voters remain democrats.
Actually the states with the best educational systems are solid blue.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
I Timothy 5:8, “But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.”

It is about the worst indictment a man could receive to be called “worse than an infidel.” This is not the governments job, but a man’s job to take care of his own. Even deadbeat dads should be hunted down and forced to care for their own as long as they live. Jesse Ventura, Governor of Minnesota said, “It’s not the governments job to make up for your mistakes.”

Old 03-04-2017, 12:28 AM

31,866 posts, read 14,847,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I too was raised catholic but no longer am. I've seen too much hypocrisy among the church goers. Raise hell Friday night and go to confession asking for forgiveness on Sunday, since and repeat each week.

Just because you go to church means nothing. It has to be in your heart. The bible teaches that we must help each other but it must giving must come from the heart, in now way does the bible teach dependency and thievery.
Oh I don't go to church anymore...nothing but pervert priests...done with the hypocrisy. If someone needs help you can't turn them away. And if they start to rely on that how do you let them go if they have nothing else to go to.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:30 AM

18,861 posts, read 14,038,590 times
Voluntary charity is a blessing.
BUT
Compulsory charity is a curse.

Compelling one to work for the benefit of another is slavery, plain and simple.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Oh I don't go to church anymore...nothing but pervert priests...done with the hypocrisy. If someone needs help you can't turn them away. And if they start to rely on that how do you let them go if they have nothing else to go to.
Our family has done just that. Long story short, my alcoholic cuz, my grandparent willed him their house because he is poor, he trashed it and it's now condemned. my mother took him in because he was poor with the rule, no drinking, what did he do, he drank and became mean with a 70+ year old widower who was supporting him. My brother kicked him out and he's living under a bridge somewhere. He was given many opportunities and he blew them all because he thought someone would always bail him out.

It's ok to help but when they won't help themselves you got to wash your hands of them.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Voluntary charity is a blessing.
BUT
Compulsory charity is a curse.

Compelling one to work for the benefit of another is slavery, plain and simple.
Some of the poor need a helping hand untill they get on their own feet. This should only be in times of great distress and for as short of duration as possible. Other poor need a kick in the pants. Those who are worthy because they will do what it takes to get on their feet should be helped. Those not worthy because they are lazy and feel entitled to other people's money should not be helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies