Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 10:24 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times

Advertisements

What states are you the most free to do what you want?

1. New Hampshire
2. Oklahoma
3. Indiana
4. South Dakota
5. Alaska

However this is a overall ranking when you just highlight say: no limits on alcohol, guns, property rights, low taxes and low regulations and licenses you get a different answer.

1. Colorado
2. Indiana
3. Missouri
4. Wyoming
5. Nevada

You can build your own "freedom" list of what's important to you to find out what states best fit you.

https://www.freedominthe50states.org/

Another ref: What States are the Freest? This Map Shows Americans Where to Go If They Crave Liberty

Naturally freedom states tend to be very conservative states. Don't bother with California or New York, they pretty much fall last in every category...except tolerance. That's a joke they are not tolerant states. I just kid we like to have fun around here. Oh Don't forget Illinois they pretty much land in 3rd place every time for least free states unless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 10:29 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Thank you for psting. Very interesting. It confirms my current thought of moving to Arizona.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:33 AM

6,258 posts, read 5,066,250 times
It appears that I'm in the right place.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:35 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Meh. Personal freedom matters most to me. 3 of those top 5 are largely run by authoritarians who have no respect for individual rights aside from gun ownership.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:37 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
Colorado, South Dakota, Wyoming certainly deserve a place on the list.

I have never understood why people want government intrusion into there lives so much. The government should provide the basics and a small safety net.

The public services in South Dakota and Wyoming are much better then the states that are not free. It is just they are efficient because they have a freedom loving population that insists on nothing but the best at the best price.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
What states are you the most free to do what you want?

1. New Hampshire
2. Oklahoma
3. Indiana
4. South Dakota
5. Alaska

However this is a overall ranking when you just highlight say: no limits on alcohol, guns, property rights, low taxes and low regulations and licenses you get a different answer.

1. Colorado
2. Indiana
3. Missouri
4. Wyoming
5. Nevada

You can build your own "freedom" list of what's important to you to find out what states best fit you.

https://www.freedominthe50states.org/

Another ref: What States are the Freest? This Map Shows Americans Where to Go If They Crave Liberty

Naturally freedom states tend to be very conservative states. Don't bother with California or New York, they pretty much fall last in every category...except tolerance. That's a joke they are not tolerant states. I just kid we like to have fun around here. Oh Don't forget Illinois they pretty much land in 3rd place every time for least free states unless.
I don't know where you get the idea that Colorado has no limits on alcohol or guns, low taxes, and low regulations. Colorado's alcohol laws are actually fairly restrictive. Sunday sales were just allowed a few years ago. Only one store in a grocery chain in the entire state may sell liquor beyond 3.2 beer and cooking wine. DUI laws are enforced. I don't even know what you mean about licenses.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I don't even know what you mean about licenses.
For instance some states require a hair dresser licenses or if you want to become a pest controller you need a pest license in Wisconsin, other states you do not. If you want to operate a landscaping business some states require you pay an annual licensing fee others do not. If you want to operate a boat taxi service you'll need a license in some states. That is what I was referring to when it comes to licensing

Some states you need a permit license for every little thing like selling lemonade in your front lawn or if you are having more than 20 people to your house you'll need a large group event license.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:13 AM

You can breakdown municipalities like this as well. Township living tends to be the "free-est" and each level you go up in size you give up some freedoms. In my city you are responsible for your trash pick-up and most have wells for water. You can shoot a gun in one half of the town where in other towns of similar makeup you cannot.

I prefer the let live and let me live philosophy. Burning permit...is just a tax. Dog license fee is just a tax. I prefer communities with less restrictions.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:21 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,386,286 times
I agree with this list. It's really accurate and shows how much more free conservative states are.

And notice how most of the bottom 10-15 states are run by...you guessed it, lefties.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:40 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,781,314 times
Sure, enjoy living in you're libertarian paradise racked with debt and poverty. Are you really "free" when you get sick and you have hundreds of thousands in unpaid debt?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...l-debt/518316/

Are you really "free" when your children are forced to learn creationism in public schools?

Oklahoma Legislator Introduces Yet Another Bill to Permit Teaching of Creationism in Public Schools

Are you really "free" when women have no access to contraceptives?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...isconsin-texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies