Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 03:55 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times

Advertisements

If Obama tapped Trump, odds are he tapped the Romney Campaign back in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 03:58 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
For sure, Obama and the Dems would LOVE a full investigation. A libel suit would force discovery and force Trump to reveal personal/business/tax/Russian details he wants to keep hidden. This is the Dems opening as the GOP sheep refuse to look into anything.
This^^^^

Old 03-04-2017, 04:04 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman
That's not the way it works , Obama would have to prove he lied.
So in the Melania lawsuit then, she has to prove that she was not a hooker?

Old 03-04-2017, 04:10 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
This is something has been puzzling me for ages - all the baseless lies against Democrats. I don't know the technical guidelines for slander/libel, but I've often wondered why there aren't more lawsuits.
No lawsuits because it isn't lies and both sides are also guilty.

Quote:
For sure, Obama and the Dems would LOVE a full investigation. A libel suit would force discovery and force Trump to reveal personal/business/tax/Russian details he wants to keep hidden. This is the Dems opening as the GOP sheep refuse to look into anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I am willing to bet it is completely false.

It is illegal for a POTUS to order a wire tap, that is the purview of the Judicial branch not the POTUS.

here you can see "the Hill" a right leaning journal declare it is just not something a POTUS can do.

Top Obama adviser to Trump: 'No president can order a wiretap' | TheHill

Furthermore as I am sure you are now aware, the POTUS has access to all wire tap info in the USA, well apart from one ordered by a court into or directly related to the POTUS himself...

so what we have is a non starter, a POTUS who is simply lashing out in anger a POTUS who is disgusted to find his new job as leader of the free world is not nearly as powerful as he thought. A POTUS who lacks the humility to see what damage he is doing to our nation as he weakens the various structures intended to protect us.

Trump is panicking. This latest attempt to distract will fail, his own party is fleeing these crazy tweets and don't want to talk about it.
And, Obama would never do anything illegal!

Trump isn't panicking. Where do come up with stuff like that? His own party isn't fleeing.

I do agree on this "A POTUS who lacks the humility to see what damage hs is doing to our nation as he weakens various structures intended to protect us." since that so describes the presidency of Barack Obama.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:48 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
What do you think
I think you need to read New York Times v Sullivan (1964).

Libel is defined as a false statement of fact, which causes damage to reputation.

Because the President is a public figure, the legally required state of mind - as established by New York Times v Sullivan (1964) is actual malice, instead of damage to reputation.

https://www.oyez.org/cases/1963/39

"The Court held that the First Amendment protects the publication of all statements, even false ones, about the conduct of public officials except when statements are made with actual malice (with knowledge that they are false or in reckless disregard of their truth or falsity). Under this new standard, Sullivan's case collapsed."

Old 03-04-2017, 05:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
So in the Melania lawsuit then, she has to prove that she was not a hooker?
Correct, she would do that by presenting character witnesses, history etc.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:11 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
Obama wants to stay as far as possible from this....he doesn't want to be on record on anything.....because if this is true, heads are going to fall but it will start from the bottom up because his inner circle will protect him.

look at the I.R.S. scandal, somebody ordered the tax audits on Obama's political enemies and nobody has gone to jail or been charge with......either Obama ordered or he knew what was going on and kept quiet.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:11 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I agree with that. I think Obama would welcome a full investigation. I believe he is considering his legal options, as he is a very methodological guy. Litigation is a Trump thing that Trump uses over every petty slight. But this is such a huge and disgusting accusation, it would have to be considered.

In addition, I'm sure Obama is aware of what information and documents could be requested in discovery, and if he thinks it is damaging enough and would expose Trump to the country, he might do it.

Trump has already put this out there in front of the entire world. He did it due to a temper tantrum out of anger and because none of his minders are around to control him. Jared is not working today, and Trump left his senior staff in a huff in DC. Trump is a child and has no self-control when angry.

If Obama knows there is no there there, he could let Trump hang out and twist in the wind after making a fool of himself and that would be just as effective.

Trump flashes anger over Sessions recusal, Russia stories in tense Oval Office meeting - ABC News
Trump needs a blindly loyal AG to protect him from all this business (or business deals) with Russia. A recused Sessions is pretty worthless to Trump.

This Russiagate is going to overshadow his presidency.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:14 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Trump needs a blindly loyal AG to protect him from all this business ....
When they are secretly meeting on a Tarmac during an active FBI investigation come see me.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:16 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Trump needs a blindly loyal AG to protect him from all this business (or business deals) with Russia. A recused Sessions is pretty worthless to Trump.

This Russiagate is going to overshadow his presidency.
Hmm. Nope. Trump does not have any business deals with Russia.

On the otherhand, Obamagate is very very real. Eric Holder and Loretta Lynch can't save him now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies