Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 09:03 AM

132 posts, read 122,527 times

Advertisements

Slave weren't immigrants. Immigrants migrate on their own free will. Of course whites are happy with Carson's comment because it diminishes the role their people played in the subjugation of other people.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:04 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
They ended up stuck here because by the time they were freed most had been born here and had not place to actually return to, that was not their choice, they did not come here, their parents and grand parents were dragged here in chains, often tortured and killed as their owners chose to. They only became citizens, in part, after they were set free, but no they were not immigrants by any definition of the word. Why is it you cannot tell the difference, immigrating and being dragged someplace in chains is not the same thing. Maybe Ben should just stop talking or stick to something he knows about like the Pyramids
Need a tissue or something so you an get over something that happened 400 years ago?

Old 03-07-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Not possible. Or maybe only for a very few fortunate enough to have lived a life long enough to meet your new definition.

The slave trade stopped in 1807. Only those who managed to survive the slave ships - very few of which would have been young children - and then had masters kind enough to have lived long enough to make 1865 would have been an IMMIGRANT.

The rest? The great, great majority. Born Americans.
Thanks for the worthless history lesson. So what job skills have they learned this week?

Old 03-07-2017, 09:07 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,550,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Thanks for the worthless history lesson. So what job skills have they learned this week?
Why are you being so hostile? Sounds like you're getting overly defensive. Know what that translateds to? Guilt.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by desertdetroiter

"Slaves didn't migrate here. Slaves were brought here. That ain't the same thing.

The Irish were lured here with the promise of rich farmland and safe places to raise their families and practice their Catholic religion but instead were given muskets and uniforms and sent right to the Civil War battlefields to die in a war they had no idea was going on.

But they don't seem to cry about anything really. Maybe that's why people RESPECT them.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:09 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,022 times
It's a shame that the shock affect of seeing something for the first time wears off after time and has a smaller affect on succeeding generations. When "Roots" was first broadcast, it opened a lot of eyes and minds to how horrible slavery was. Today it is considered by some as leftist Hollywood propaganda.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:11 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Do you think that the people crammed into the hold of a slave ship were thinking, as they were chained and whipped, that one day their descents "might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land"? The land run by the people that owned them? That beat them?
I don't know what they were thinking as they were crammed in the hold of the slave ship. I cannot begin to imagine.

But, I can imagine that once they arrived in the Americas, and began having children, they dreamed of a better life for their children.

I really don't understand the outrage.

Dr. Carson was in fact correct to refer to African slaves brought to America on slave ships as immigrants.

Do any of you criticizing Dr. Carson truly believe that Dr. Carson does not understand that those who came to America in chains lived very differently from those who came freely?

I dare say that none of you can honestly believe that Dr. Carson does not understand that difference.

Thus, I dare too to say that you are simply looking for a pretense on which to criticize a man who holds political beliefs that differ from your own.

That says more about you than it does about Dr. Carson.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:13 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,066,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter

"Slaves didn't migrate here. Slaves were brought here. That ain't the same thing.

The Irish were lured here with the promise of rich farmland and safe places to raise their families and practice their Catholic religion but instead were given muskets and uniforms and sent right to the Civil War battlefields to die in a war they had no idea was going on.

But they don't seem to cry about anything really. Maybe that's why people RESPECT them.
Were they captured, chained, thrown into the hold of a ship against their will and sold into slavery? Can you really, honestly NOT SEE THE DIFFERENCE?

I would tell you to knock it off because you're embarrassing yourself, but you don't seem to have the capacity to understand that.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
It's a shame that the shock affect of seeing something for the first time wears off after time and has a smaller affect on succeeding generations. When "Roots" was first broadcast, it opened a lot of eyes and minds to how horrible slavery was. Today it is considered by some as leftist Hollywood propaganda.
The "good" from this knowledge only lasts as long as there is money and time to spend obsessing over it.

When times get hard all that is going to matter is what can you do for me today?

Old 03-07-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Were they captured, chained, thrown into the hold of a ship against their will and sold into slavery? Can you really, honestly NOT SEE THE DIFFERENCE?

I would tell you to knock it off because you're embarrassing yourself, but you don't seem to have the capacity to understand that.
Not really. At least they got to live. The Irish were sent into battles with 90% killed.

What do you want me or anyone else to do about this? How many people's time do you have to waste over this ridiculous, completely meaningless subject?

My people were from Germany, arrived here in the late 1800's. Had nothing to do with slavery. Were a little more than slaves themselves to the rich landowners in Germany who handed their land down from one generation to the next, didn't work it themselves. Just rented it out. And when they weren't busy handing half of their earnings over to the rich landlords they were dodging getting murdered for being the wrong religion.

So maybe America meant something different to them when they got here than people who just think they are a victim every day of their life. Sickening is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.