Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 02:39 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I can answer this for you, and you already have a clear comparison: Original Medicare (single payer) and Medicare Advantage (private insurance, subsidized by gov't). If it's so obvious that insurance companies add no value, how do Medicare Advantage plans stay in business - and stay extremely profitable?

1. Member gets extra benefits in MA plans due to corporate negotiating power - free gym memberships, eyeglasses, transportation benefits, telemedicine, etc. are some examples an MA plan offers that OG does not.
2. Instead of dealing with CMS (aka DMV for healthcare), they deal with a business, with better hours and customer service resources.
3. Cost is the same or negligibly more than OM. How? MA plans find efficiencies through using provider networks, better technology (try getting your plan docs by email instead of by mail from CMS), and access to capital to fund more investments (stock market).

There's a place for both, and people currently benefit from that choice.
Medicare advantage only exists because the Gov't pays a premium to insurance companies to provide the same services offered by traditional medicare. It's not like the Government has any choice in that, Bush stuck us with the program but it does not save the taxpayer any money and it's usually an awful option for a sick enrollee

https://www.publicintegrity.org/2014...more-it-should

Medicare Advantage Plan Leaves Some Without Provider Choice | Money

Medicare Advantage | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Old 03-09-2017, 02:40 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
So... Trumpdon'tcare?
Pretty much

Old 03-09-2017, 02:43 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't follow you at all, please explain that to me? Why would any state assume the liability of paying the feds share of medicare bills
They of course would not. But you will see proposals to make HC insurance state based, not even considering the cost of their seniors.

I am not talking about full blown and researched legislation, I'm talking about individuals or groups espousing such nonsense.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:44 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I guess i am wondering why Trump has stood up for this bill, when it is clearly is going to hurt a lot of people.

And it really looks like it will hurt lower income poeple a lot. I am thinking if i voted for Trump and he put this in front of me i would be damned angry.
Why has Trump stood up for this bill? Two reasons:

1. It's the Republicans' bill, and

2. It doesn't have Obama's name associated with it.

Those two facts are sufficient for his support.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:44 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
The Republicans are just getting warmed up. The members of the "Freedom Caucus" do not want people who make less than 250K/yr to have HEALTHCARE. Period.
Is that why the Freedom Caucus backs Rand Pauls plan instead and why Ryan backed groups targeted the Freedom Caucus?

Quote:
They actually have the nerve to say that a tax credit is an entitlement as if the money was theirs. The nerve of those pricks.
They didn't say that, Ryan and the progressive right did.

Quote:
People should be able to DEDUCT the entire cost of their health insurance from their taxes. Period.
Gee Where did I hear this before? Why the only conservative who ran in 2008 and 2012 "Additionally, Ron Paul wants to change the tax code to allow individual Americans to fully deduct all health care costs from their taxes." His Sons plan is the plan the Freedom Caucus backs, just to remind you again.

Quote:
It's OK for rich people to NOT pay taxes, but the working/middle class has to pay for the under class, and the upper class.
Less taxes for everyone.

Quote:
They're pieces of work.
What did you expect? Progresssivism is a known failure.

Quote:
All those people in their 50's and 60's are going to have to pay more for their insurance IF their employers continue to provide insurance because the Republicans took that away too. If for whatever reason they lose their insurance, forget about it. They voted for Trump too.
People are already paying more under Obamacare. Did you protest when that happened?

If anyone is surprised by the attempts from those on the progressive right to increase government, then they haven't been paying attention.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:46 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Why do I have the feeling that after they ruin any chance of improving what was Obamacare and Medicaid, that the Republicans will move on to fix (fu) Medicare. Those town hall meetings may end in hangings by 2020! Look for the axes and pitchforks brought to them by the angry townfolks!

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I am a Trump supporter and definitely NOT backing this bill so take heart .. there are some of us out here - probably more than you know.
When Trump said his plan would cover all Americans and would not leave anyone out, I actually allowed myself to hope that he was talking about some form of universal healthcare. If he proposed that, I would give him props. And I believe many other leftwingers would as well.

Alas, it was just another Trump lie. He had no plan, and never intended to develop one. He always intended to leave it to Paul Ryan. And for that lie, you and other supporters should be pissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I understand when it's an emergency but I am amazed at those who do not research when they have time. Especially in the age of information.
Insurance used to be for emergency purposes but now it's about checkups.
Huh? I have had health insurance for the past 50 years. It has always covered office visits, routine care, and illnesses that do not require emergent care.

I have absolutely no idea where you came up with your assertion that it insurance previously only covered "emergency purposes"

Old 03-09-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
They of course would not. But you will see proposals to make HC insurance state based, not even considering the cost of their seniors. I am not talking about full blown and researched legislation, I'm talking about individuals or groups espousing such nonsense.
I don't follow this at all, when has anyone discussed state run health insurance and overlooked the fact that there would be federal reimbursements for both medicare and medicaid?

Old 03-09-2017, 02:50 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I am a Trump supporter and definitely NOT backing this bill so take heart .. there are some of us out here - probably more than you know.
"Take heart"? What does that even mean? Like the fact that some of you people are finally starting to comprehend the enormity of the damage you've done is going to somehow keep those GOP scum from passing the bill? Take heart? What are you even saying?

Millions of people - millions - are going to be harmed by this catastrophe, and tens of thousands will die. That's just a fact. Don't tell us to "take heart" as though you suddenly give a damn about that. Anyone with a brain in their head knew that this was exactly what was going to happen, and you voted for him anyway. This is entirely on you. Entirely on you and the other.... mmm..... people who voted for that revolting puddle of skunk vomit.

So spare us the whining platitudes and excuses now. If you feel badly about this, then you damned well should. And some of us are going to do everything we can to make sure you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies