Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 03:23 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,132,803 times

Advertisements

Relax, it's not done yet. As much as you people want the repeal to fail, it's not going to happen.
Start saving up for your insurance coverage.

Last edited by finalmove; 03-08-2017 at 04:48 PM..

Old 03-08-2017, 03:26 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,928,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Again, thats a "maybe" and an "almost" which I'm fine with because I do believe that its worth exploring, I just question the actual reality of the situation. Does it also take into account the transition to a new system and any ramp down of the existing system? Does it take into account a ramp up in volume and stress to the system of all the newly covered people actually using the system?
Yes.

Yes.

There isn't any ramp down of the existing system. The new system doesn't involve multiple coding systems with multiple payers. It's one coding system, one payer.

And the new system is already primed to assume the increase in volume. When Obamacare was put in place, contractors were hired to handle the overflow volume that would result from millions of new people accessing healthcare.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:31 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,683,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Relax, it's not done yet. As much as you people want the repeal to fail, it's not going to happen.
Start saving up for your insurance coverage?
No. Get on the other Republican Health Care Plan - DON'T GET SICK!

Old 03-08-2017, 03:34 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,995,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes.

Yes.

There isn't any ramp down of the existing system. The new system doesn't involve multiple coding systems with multiple payers. It's one coding system, one payer.

And the new system is already primed to assume the increase in volume. When Obamacare was put in place, contractors were hired to handle the overflow volume that would result from millions of new people accessing healthcare.
You don't just stop old systems and processes cold turkey without any costs. There are people that will be out of the loop, there are claims and processes that are mid stream that need special handling for months if not years after.

Volume not for administration, but actual care. Unless you mean "contractors" that are doctors and nurses?

Old 03-08-2017, 03:39 PM

18,852 posts, read 8,510,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
In the conclusion.

A simplified financing system in the U.S. could result in cost savings exceeding $350 billion annually, nearly 15% of health care spending.

Billing and insurance-related administrative costs in United States? health care: synthesis of micro-costing evidence | BMC Health Services Research | Full Text

At least look at the research article!
A simplified single payer system would certainly save money with accounting and billing, but I doubt the 15%. Maybe a few percent.

There still needs to be billing departments, just less complicated. With single payer a private bill becomes a bit easier as a single payer one. But not zero. Plus with single payer there will be more medical encounters thus more bills to work on.

For instance with our small medical group I pay a few percent of my revenues on billing overhead.

Our hospital collects on the order of $800M+/yr. It is hard for me to imagine that they spend $120M on billing.

So might they/we save 15% on our billing costs. That to me is a possibility. But not 15% of overall costs.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:42 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,950,171 times
Quote:
End of conversation as far as I'm concerned.
How do patients have that power though. Say I got checked into the hospital and told to take two asprin from the cup. How would I know it helps with the exact malady I have gotten checked in for. For instance when I had gallbladder surgery two years ago, I was given stool softener despite the fact I couldn't eat or drink anything at all. If I asked, I'm sure I would have gotten some BS excuse just to pad the billing.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
A simplified single payer system would certainly save money with accounting and billing, but I doubt the 15%. Maybe a few percent.

There still needs to be billing departments, just less complicated. With single payer a private bill becomes a bit easier as a single payer one. But not zero. Plus with single payer there will be more medical encounters thus more bills to work on.

For instance with our small medical group I pay a few percent of my revenues on billing overhead.

Our hospital collects on the order of $800M+/yr. It is hard for me to imagine that they spend $120M on billing.

So might they/we save 15% on our billing costs. That to me is a possibility. But not 15% of overall costs.
I would say "seemingly" less complicated to people familiar with claims and medical billing, but for the vast majority of the population there will be questions, even just because its a new system. There will be lots of phone calls and questions from new participants.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
How do patients have that power though. Say I got checked into the hospital and told to take two asprin from the cup. How would I know it helps with the exact malady I have gotten checked in for. For instance when I had gallbladder surgery two years ago, I was given stool softener despite the fact I couldn't eat or drink anything at all. If I asked, I'm sure I would have gotten some BS excuse just to pad the billing.
Well its like any other thing, over time and experience you get more educated. Unfortunately you don't have that luxury with emergencies, but there is no magic bullet to solve all the problems. Maybe independent consultants become required at hospitals to play the role of an arbiter or patient advocate who is knowledgeable of such things.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,299,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I lost my mom to cancer not long ago. (No need for sympathy, I know many would and it's appreciated already). We were told last May she had 4-6 weeks. In January she just quits breathing and her heart stops while getting her hair done. (She had quit treatment last year) paramedics are called and they revive her.

We are at the hospital and she is hungry. She has spoken to the doctors and is ready to go home.

A speech therapist comes in. Now the hospital is fully aware of her condition and diagnosis.....She passes away three weeks later. My sister asks them what they are there for. "We have to check her speech".

My sister went off. She tells them that my mom has been speaking plain and clear since she arrived, was not in any need of speech therapy and for them to get out of her room as all they were looking to do was to be able to submit a bill.

I don't know if they submitted a bill.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,950,171 times
Quote:
Well its like any other thing, over time and experience you get more educated. Unfortunately you don't have that luxury with emergencies, but there is no magic bullet to solve all the problems. Maybe independent consultants become required at hospitals to play the role of an arbiter or patient advocate who is knowledgeable of such things.
So how do patients have that alleged power, especially in the case of emergencies? You are basically at the will and whim of the healthcare provider. The healthcare giants wont sign off on the arbiter/advocate and you know that. Well maybe for the extra time spent with the fights causing longer stays...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies