Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 08:46 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Let's say someone is paying but becomes ill and can't work, can't make the premiums even on the catastrophic policy. Medicaid won't be there after 2020. Have you ever been poor in America?
I have been lowish-income right after college and before my and my spouse's careers took off, but nothing we couldn't manage. One simply CHOOSES to not live beyond their means. I haven't been poor in America because I have been responsible enough to make sure that does not happen to me. Similarly, my parents made sure we wouldn't be poor before they even considered starting a family.

There's a responsibility factor that many on the left seem to be missing. The fact that some CHOOSE to be irresponsible does not behoove those who are responsible to foot their bills. Do we voluntarily contribute to charity to try to alleviate some of the issues the poor are facing? Yes. Should we be forced by threat of property seizure and imprisonment to pay their bills for them? No.

And, yes, because I'm responsible, I have a disability insurance policy that kicks in if/when needed, including the suspension of insurance premiums upon disability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 08:49 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I have been lowish-income right after college and before my and my spouse's careers took off, but nothing we couldn't manage. One simply CHOOSES to not live beyond their means. I haven't been poor in America because I have been responsible enough to make sure that does not happen to me. Similarly, my parents made sure we wouldn't be poor before they even considered starting a family.

There's a responsibility factor that many on the left seem to be missing. The fact that some CHOOSE to be irresponsible does not behoove those who are responsible to foot their bills. Do we voluntarily contribute to charity to try to alleviate some of the issues the poor are facing? Yes. Should we be forced by threat of property seizure and imprisonment to pay their bills for them? No.

And, yes, because I'm responsible, I have a disability insurance policy that kicks in if/when needed, including the suspension of insurance premiums upon disability.

You haven't been poor in America because you weren't born into poverty. You don't seem to understand that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllllll lllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnsss sssssssssssss of people have autoimmune or genetic related diseases. They can live healthy lifestyles all they want yet still need multimillion dollar treatments due to an inherited disorder.
Can that not be predicted? Why procreate if you know the result might be offspring with extremely costly health problems, unless you can afford to pay for that, or for an insurance policy that will cover it?

The responsibility factor at issue, again.

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
People do still get billed though, and if they can't pay, the bill is sent to collections and the person's credit is ruined
Also, the costs of care go up and that's passed along to the people who DO pay their bills.

So, yeah... this affects us all whether we want it to or not.

Might as well have a system that covers everyone. A basic system. If people want access to higher-tier services that are not on the basic plan, they can always buy supplemental health insurance.

Which is what happens in some countries. I think Australia has a setup like that and there are some countries in the EU that do as well.

Makes sense to me. Provide a general standard of care to EVERYONE. If you want to buy extra and have the money, go for it.

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I agree with most you say. My wife is a prime example. $270K last year for her lymphoma. Over a $M already this year as we suffered a highway head on crash on 1/1. She comes home next week. No faults of ours/hers.

But my conflict with you is in physician pay. And I am a physician. Hospitals do well, pharma does well. As physicians we have mostly been capped by Medicare and other third parties for decades now. In primary care I have had no substantial raise since 1988, so we lag like most of the middle class. Of course we started higher so it is less a struggle.

But if we docs are not satisfied with our basic HC reimbursements in a more universal system, it will not fly. Docs will make that so.
I agree with you as well, Hoonose! Doctors should get paid well no argument there! However, our government needs to do something where everyone is insured and can actually afford it!

I'm sorry about your wife and I pray for a quick recovery! My husband fell asleep at the wheel due to work exhaustion. Long story short he has had 4 facial reconstructive surgeries. He is still having treatment for his eyesight in his left eye and other issues as a result. Had we not had insurance we would be bankrupt as his care has topped over a million and is ongoing. We actually have very good insurance that is employer paid so we are very fortunate. Even with that though we have paid thousands of dollars to the point that we are hurting financially. I was a stay at home mom of 2 young girls and now I'm working. I have no problem with that!! What I have a problem with is my 63 year old mother can't retire because she can't afford healthcare till 65. Not only that she is currently on ACA because her employer does not offer healthcare insurance. Her premiums with a high deductible are over $800 a month! For 1 person! It's insane! She has thought about going without. This is what this country has become and it's very said. Very sad that other countries give their citizens free healthcare and free college tuition. The U.S. is doing something wrong!!

Old 03-07-2017, 08:54 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I agree with most you say. My wife is a prime example. $270K last year for her lymphoma. Over a $M already this year as we suffered a highway head on crash on 1/1. She comes home next week. No faults of ours/hers.

But my conflict with you is in physician pay. And I am a physician. Hospitals do well, pharma does well. As physicians we have mostly been capped by Medicare and other third parties for decades now. In primary care I have had no substantial raise since 1988, so we lag like most of the middle class. Of course we started higher so it is less a struggle.

But if we docs are not satisfied with our basic HC reimbursements in a more universal system, it will not fly. Docs will make that so.
I think that the system needs to ensure that doctors are adequately reimbursed.

I also think that allowing people to buy private insurance to supplement their basic insurance could be a boon for docs because those patients would be outside the doctor's obligation to see X number of patients on the universal plan (think of that plan like Medicaid is right now).

So, basically, it's a plus overall. And, hospitals would see everyone, either way.

Ex. A friend of mine was getting IVF in Australia about 7-8 years ago. She got X number of shots at IVF through the single payer plan. After that, she had to use her private insurance for additional tries, because the single payer had coverage limits for stuff like IVF.

She used the private insurance and that opened up more types of procedures that she could consider and that would be covered after she met her deductible and so forth.

I do not see this being bad for doctors, not once fully implemented.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
It's more like this:

The best government money can buy = no single payer health care.
Government can buy it if we simply change our country's tax structure. This has all been explained...

Quote:

Other Countries Don't Have a "47%" - Washington Post

Pay close attention to what that scatter plot chart tells us... Note that the highest levels of government benefits and services are provided by countries (Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Belgium) in which taxes are flat (everyone pays the same tax rate) or regressive (shown as the negative values, meaning a greater tax burden is placed on those with lower incomes). And note where the USA falls on the graph. The USA has the most progressive tax system and therefore is least able to fund progressives' societal goals because the tax base is too narrow, and therefore generates insufficient tax revenue.

(Scatter Plot info, for those who need more explanation of what Scatter Plots tell us:
Scatter Plots - Math is Fun)

The research which produced that chart:

https://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10.../576828521.pdf

Old 03-07-2017, 08:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
I do know more than anyone. People live unhealthy lives and then ask responsible people to pay for their "preexisting" condition.
You mean like children with asthma and diabetes who grow up to be adults that need and want to buy health insurance?

Like that?

Old 03-07-2017, 09:00 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I agree with you as well, Hoonose! Doctors should get paid well no argument there! However, our government needs to do something where everyone is insured and can actually afford it!

I'm sorry about your wife and I pray for a quick recovery! My husband fell asleep at the wheel due to work exhaustion. Long story short he has had 4 facial reconstructive surgeries. He is still having treatment for his eyesight in his left eye and other issues as a result. Had we not had insurance we would be bankrupt as his care has topped over a million and is ongoing. We actually have very good insurance that is employer paid so we are very fortunate. Even with that though we have paid thousands of dollars to the point that we are hurting financially. I was a stay at home mom of 2 young girls and now I'm working. I have no problem with that!! What I have a problem with is my 63 year old mother can't retire because she can't afford healthcare till 65. Not only that she is currently on ACA because her employer does not offer healthcare insurance. Her premiums with a high deductible are over $800 a month! For 1 person! It's insane! She has thought about going without. This is what this country has become and it's very said. Very sad that other countries give their citizens free healthcare and free college tuition. The U.S. is doing something wrong!!
No they don't. Even the U.K. had free tuition years ago and now it's not free anymore. The level of heathcare in other UK is pretty basic. They misdiagnosed my MIL diabetes problem until she had ganggreen and they saw her toe off. I'll be more concern with any complicated surgery there.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
So if a young guy rides a motorcycle and has a catastrophic accident but does not have insurance what should we do with that guy? Just let him die in the street because he's too young to be able to pay the bill for his care?
Two CHOICES involved in that example.

1) The CHOICE to engage in an activity that has a statistical rate of serious injury.

2) The CHOICE to not buy a catastrophic insurance policy.

Again, the responsibility factor is an issue.

The fact that some CHOOSE to be irresponsible does not behoove those who are responsible to foot their bills. Do we voluntarily contribute to charity to try to alleviate some of the issues they are facing? Yes. Is anyone free to start/run fundraisers for the irresponsible person in such a case? Yes. Should we be forced by threat of property seizure and imprisonment to pay their bills for them? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies