Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 10:51 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
You just don't get it, do you? YOU are paying for them if they aren't insured. Whether they're a dirtbag, a cheapo, a citizen down on their luck, or a rich guy trying to save a buck, if they don't have insurance you are paying for them. If they get into an accident, they go to the ER, the hospital WILL treat them, they can't pay, and the hospital will charge YOU more money for what YOU get to make up for that uninsured person. Newsflash, they aren't dying in the streets - they're going to the ER and YOU, not them, are paying for that. And guess what, the money is already coming out of your pocket for THEIR healthcare because it's baked into the bill the hospital charges you or your insurance company (which also passes the cost onto you).
Exactly. If you want to live in the United States, you will be paying the expenses of other people through taxes, which includes health. We pay through the nose for uninsured people because paying for preventative medicine is much cheaper than medicine after something bad happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 10:52 AM

323 posts, read 377,047 times
Quote:
You just don't get it, do you? YOU are paying for them if they aren't insured. Whether they're a dirtbag, a cheapo, a citizen down on their luck, or a rich guy trying to save a buck, if they don't have insurance you are paying for them. If they get into an accident, they go to the ER, the hospital WILL treat them, they can't pay, and the hospital will charge YOU more money for what YOU get to make up for that uninsured person. Newsflash, they aren't dying in the streets - they're going to the ER and YOU, not them, are paying for that. And guess what, the money is already coming out of your pocket for THEIR healthcare because it's baked into the bill the hospital charges you or your insurance company (which also passes the cost onto you).
Ding ding ding! Hospitals are required to provide care. If the patient cannot or will not pay, they pass the costs on to the paying customers - you.

Because of this, people wait until conditions are potentially catastrophic before seeking care, and they show up to the ER, which represents the most expensive treatment option.

Early intervention and preventative care is by far the cheapest overall option, when coupled with restrictions on care when a patient shows a wanton disregard for their own health (I can hear the "Death Panels" crowd starting up already...).

Basic universal health care with purchased or employer-provided secondary insurance options for expanded coverage (Chiropractic, elective care, etc.) is the way to go.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:52 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
This is true. Unless we force people to buy insurance, a large number of people won't. Just like auto insurance.
Well no one is forced to purchase a car.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:53 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Let them pay for their own or DIE.
Um, but they're not. Doctors don't let people die on the streets. So they treat them, and you're paying for it. End of story... what don't you get? It doesn't matter what you think should happen; this is what IS happening.

UNLESS - bingo - you force that uninsured person to have insurance. AKA penalize them if they don't.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:54 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
What is your objection to vaccinated children, maintained roads, public education for all? Do you think we'd be better off without these things?
Obviously the government serves some purpose. I'm with you - for the most part - on vaccinations although parents should have the right to refuse them. Roads.... LOL.... the government is doing a terrible job maintaining the roads and bridges. They are failing. Education..... our education keeps getting worse, although the teachers unions keep getting fatter. Enough said on that.

Bottom line --- we need SMART government, not MORE government.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:56 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Well allegedly more people are insured under Obamacare. Yet my premiums, deductibles and co-pays have all increased. So as of yet the promise of more insured will lower my cost has not panned out.

Not to mention $2500 per year in premium savings I've yet to see.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:57 AM

323 posts, read 377,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Obviously the government serves some purpose. I'm with you - for the most part - on vaccinations although parents should have the right to refuse them. Roads.... LOL.... the government is doing a terrible job maintaining the roads and bridges. They are failing. Education..... our education keeps getting worse, although the teachers unions keep getting fatter. Enough said on that.

Bottom line --- we need SMART government, not MORE government.
Yep, and a smart government would look at the benefits of herd immunity through required vaccinations and universal coverage to keep costs down overall rather than an unsustainable pay-to-play model.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:59 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most people do not have $20-40,000.

Reportedly, ( Bankrate) 66 million adults have no savings and they are not all low income.

Sounds like you favor more Big Government intrusion in healthcare, no?

How is others demand to keep up with the Jones' of the world, not saving for their future my fault or my problem?

I started saving at 12. I got aggressive with my saving and "always pay yourself first" after my foster parents explained it to me. I retired at 49, and will never owe a cent to another person because I made major sacrifices that others refuse to make. How is it MY fault, and why am I being called on to provide for them after all their selfishness?

I didn't have a single vacation until after I retired. I never bought a new car, not as a worker, not as one who could afford buying whatever I want. I sacrificed for mine and my family's future... NOT for the useless people who constantly demand stuff and technology that I went without for the longest time.

How is anyone else MY problem?

Old 03-07-2017, 11:03 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Well allegedly more people are insured under Obamacare. Yet my premiums, deductibles and co-pays have all increased. So as of yet the promise of more insured will lower my cost has not panned out.

Not to mention $2500 per year in premium savings I've yet to see.
I'm not here to defend Obamacare. It sure as heck wasn't perfect. But there are a lot of reasons your premiums increased, only one of which is how many insured people are in your risk pool. For example, there could still be way more sick people than healthy people in your market. This is a very real issue in counties with a high population of unhealthy people (for example - the most obese places in the country). It's all about your market, and that's why you still hear some people saying their costs went DOWN even without subsidies. They're not lying; it has something to do with the risk pool in their market.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:04 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. If you want to live in the United States, you will be paying the expenses of other people through taxes, which includes health.
So, why don't we tax regressively, like Europe and Scandinavia? Those who use the most in government services and benefits (low and middle income) also bear the greatest tax burden. They're good with that. They don't complain about having to pay their fair share unlike like the spoiled American left which incessantly whines and complains and always wants someone else to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies