Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 04:32 PM

1,349 posts, read 663,029 times

Advertisements

I am truly amazed at both the ignorance/exageration and the utter despicability of some posters I've read.

I, too, had cancer at 23, recognized at 26.

Being going on for several years, in my own body and I IGNORED it, hey I was young, undestructible and all.

When I could no longer ignore the horrible symptoms (you don't want to know, trust me), the system here had me operated in less than ten days, then watched out for me and made HC available without any more stress than already was, and etc etc, no one wants to know.

20 years later, it's still probable that I'll get another cancer attack, at least I've been waiting for it. ANY act (preventive) I do is free of charges. My country considers that it's better to get ahead of bad health.

Twice a year, I do a mammography to check (that costs a lot). I know that I am LUCKY!

Someone said (Dane, I think! by the way, very good posts for a lurker) that being lucky is never having to get one's money back concerning HC. He's right.

I AM lucky. Not in the sense I'll never be ill again, but in the sense that I now know that it will be taken on time.

Here, healthcare is so basically a right that noone would dare to challenge it. (some right wing politicians -equal to your DNC- might brag about doing it, but no, never)

How is it paid for? Everyone. Directly from the salary your employer gives you (and other ways for self employed people).

I could tell you hundreds of stories, but they are not mine and it wouldn't suffice for some of you.

And, YES, university (college I guess) is also available, not free exactly (as then, you are not in your parent's charge, so you pay something like 500€/year for social security/ie health care).

We're probably in no better shape than you (economically), but there is something we have that some of you don't : compassion and a sense of belonging to a society.

How incredible that the only western country that STILL calls itself christian is so backwards and selfish.

We got rid of religion in politics long ago but kept the "christian/sociatal" part in a cultural way. Some of the posters here could make any decent human being ashamed of being in the same pool.

But, another difference, most people who of course don't agree with the horrible things said here, would still help you, were you in dire need.

PS: for "he'll recognize himself", near or more than 50% people don't pay revenue tax, at least in France. System still works. HEY, we even introduced UHC. Imagine that, you can be a total illegal and still be cared for. Why? You're HUMAN!

No man is an island. Wasn't that an anglo author?

Last edited by personne; 03-08-2017 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 05:25 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,620,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
I am truly amazed at both the ignorance/exageration and the utter despicability of some posters I've read.

We're probably in no better shape than you (economically), but there is something we have that some of you don't : compassion and a sense of belonging to a society.

How incredible that the only western country that STILL calls itself christian is so backwards and selfish.

We got rid of religion in politics long ago but kept the "christian/sociatal" part in a cultural way. Some of the posters here could make any decent human being ashamed of being in the same pool.
Unfortunately, America is full of despicable people like that. They all voted for Donald Trump.

And I hate every damned one of them.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Unfortunately, America is full of despicable people like that. They all voted for Donald Trump.

And I hate every damned one of them.
That is not what I meant.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:54 PM

And let's do it.

It's still a mess here, but..

Less murders
Less teenage pregnancies
Fewer abortions

Why?
Just guess.

And it doesn't have anything to do with subzides.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:13 PM

And let's do it.

It's still a mess here, but..

Less murders
Less teenage pregnancies
Fewer abortions

Why?
Just guess.

And it doesn't have anything to do with subzides.

The more people take care of each other, the best society goes.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:24 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,725,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
i am truly amazed at both the ignorance/exageration and the utter despicability of some posters i've read.

I, too, had cancer at 23, recognized at 26.

Being going on for several years, in my own body and i ignored it, hey i was young, undestructible and all.

When i could no longer ignore the horrible symptoms (you don't want to know, trust me), the system here had me operated in less than ten days, then watched out for me and made hc available without any more stress than already was, and etc etc, no one wants to know.

20 years later, it's still probable that i'll get another cancer attack, at least i've been waiting for it. Any act (preventive) i do is free of charges. My country considers that it's better to get ahead of bad health.

Twice a year, i do a mammography to check (that costs a lot). I know that i am lucky!

Someone said (dane, i think! By the way, very good posts for a lurker) that being lucky is never having to get one's money back concerning hc. He's right.

I am lucky. Not in the sense i'll never be ill again, but in the sense that i now know that it will be taken on time.

Here, healthcare is so basically a right that noone would dare to challenge it. (some right wing politicians -equal to your dnc- might brag about doing it, but no, never)

how is it paid for? Everyone. Directly from the salary your employer gives you (and other ways for self employed people).

I could tell you hundreds of stories, but they are not mine and it wouldn't suffice for some of you.

And, yes, university (college i guess) is also available, not free exactly (as then, you are not in your parent's charge, so you pay something like 500€/year for social security/ie health care).

We're probably in no better shape than you (economically), but there is something we have that some of you don't : Compassion and a sense of belonging to a society.

How incredible that the only western country that still calls itself christian is so backwards and selfish.

But, another difference, most people who of course don't agree with the horrible things said here, would still help you, were you in dire need.

Ps: For "he'll recognize himself", near or more than 50% people don't pay revenue tax, at least in france. System still works. Hey, we even introduced uhc. Imagine that, you can be a total illegal and still be cared for. Why? You're human!

No man is an island. Wasn't that an anglo author?

Excellent post!!!!

Old 03-08-2017, 06:26 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,952,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
No doubt there some portion of waste, fraud and windfall profits.

And if those were all eliminated would our HC costs be lower? Sure. Would they be as low as Japan? No, because we are Americans, not Japanese. We are a larger and much more diverse population with many different HC needs than Japan. We innovate many more expensive technologies and we pay the price, as we as a nation are rich. We do pay more because we can. We honor capitalism, which works fine in most cases.

So say we decide to go all public and eliminate profits. Would our overall HC costs go down?

NO!

Because we would then have many more patients, having more access and then so many more having medical encounters, testings and treatments. Possibly cheaper per single encounter, but MANY more encounters. Unless we decide to ration. And Americans don't cotton to rationing outside of War.
Those "diversity" arguments are not good arguments. Every single developed country on earth has much lower health care costs than America. The world is diverse. Its not a "Japanese thing".

We honor CRONY CAPITALISM and cronyism is expensive. Why do you think the health care industry is the second biggest lobbyist group on Capitol Hill after Wall Street? Because legalized bribery pays off. And the American people pay the price.

Eliminate profits? Thats just nonsense. No single payer system has "eliminated profits" in the health care industry, so thats a mute point. More coverage means far more people can get the care they need ON TIME instead of dying a slow and painful death on the ER unit. Ration? You think insurance corporations dont ration health care to its customers and just pay whatever? They are in this to make a profit, not as charities.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:32 PM

18,800 posts, read 8,458,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Those "diversity" arguments are not good arguments. Every single developed country on earth has much lower health care costs than America. The world is diverse. Its not a "Japanese thing".

We honor CRONY CAPITALISM and cronyism is expensive. Why do you think the health care industry is the second biggest lobbyist group on Capitol Hill after Wall Street? Because legalized bribery pays off. And the American people pay the price.

Eliminate profits? Thats just nonsense. No single payer system has "eliminated profits" in the health care industry, so thats a mute point. More coverage means far more people can get the care they need ON TIME instead of dying a slow and painful death on the ER unit. Ration? You think insurance corporations dont ration health care to its customers and just pay whatever? They are in this to make a profit, not as charities.
It is important to recognize that America is different. We spend more and we buy bigger. America is diverse in its differences with the rest of the world, and it is diverse in its own population. Some populations are easier and cheaper to care for. Population groups here and in other countries.

Not necessarily in support of our most expensive HC system, but a very easy to read and good book that goes over much of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Healing-Ameri.../dp/0143118218

Old 03-08-2017, 06:38 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,952,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
It is important to recognize that America is different. We spend more and we buy bigger. America is diverse in its differences with the rest of the world, and it is diverse in its own population. Some populations are easier and cheaper to care for. Population groups here and in other countries.

Not necessarily in support of our most expensive HC system, but a very easy to read and good book that goes over much of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Healing-Ameri.../dp/0143118218
Every country is different than any other country. Thats no argument. Thats just an excuse people use to convince people to not get inspired by other countries and keeping the status quo. Its an age old tactic by the big money interests that benefit from ripping off the American people and pull the wool over people's eyes. America has single payer Medicare already. The same type of arguments you use now were used against Medicare as well. It was used against EVERY program that has helped out the 99% enormously.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:49 PM

18,800 posts, read 8,458,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Every country is different than any other country. Thats no argument. Thats just an excuse people use to convince people to not get inspired by other countries and keeping the status quo. Its an age old tactic by the big money interests that benefit from ripping off the American people and pull the wool over people's eyes. America has single payer Medicare already. The same type of arguments you use now were used against Medicare as well. It was used against EVERY program that has helped out the 99% enormously.
But if you want to convince many on the Right, you need to understand and appreciate the concept. This is my explanation, not any excuse to use against Medicare. You won't find a more dedicated to Medicare doc/patient/proponent on this panel than myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies