Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Take them down or leave them up?
Take them down. They're offensive. 133 36.14%
Leave them up. It's history. 235 63.86%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 04:18 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times

Advertisements

Just in case you folks haven't seen the movie "Gone With the Wind", its on tonight at 8 pm on Turner Classic Movies. Better see it while you can.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:29 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
It is time to move on from this thread. Everything has been said over and over. There is nothing new to add here.
Sometimes people need time to process things. I've never actually seen anyone change their mind on C-D, but I believe it is possible. However, it takes some back and forth.

The way to tell if there is nothing new to add, is that there will be no new posts added and the thread will slip into the archives.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:38 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Just in case you folks haven't seen the movie "Gone With the Wind", its on tonight at 8 pm on Turner Classic Movies. Better see it while you can.
Thanks.

I've always wondered why more people didn't believe Rhett Butler from the start.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:40 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
When I see those statues, or anything related to the Confederates, I do not think "that's my southern heritage". No doubt, I have ancestors who hail from the South. I live in the South. I don't consider myself a southerner. I don't relate to it. My father's side of the family consists of those who left the South in the 1940s. My father is a born and raised northerner.

This is how I look at the Confederates and the Confederate flag. When I see it, I see a backwards-looking culture. When I see those Confederate statues, that stars and bars, it screams "we do things a little differently down here". And by that which I mentioned in quotations, I mean doing things different in a bad way. It screams of being proud of being a step behind. It reeks of glorifying the worst attributes of the South.

I never noticed much about the Confederate flag until I was 14. My father told me about some of the history. A teacher or two confirmed that my father was correct in saying that it was about keeping slavery. One teacher mentioned that Georgia's state flag(the Confederate version) was made that in 1956, during the Jim Crow years. Now, this was during the waning days of Jim Crow. I suspect the state flag was made such as a middle finger to integration. When I started reading the Articles of Secession and the Confederate Constitution, this confirmed even more that the Confederate States seceded because they wanted to preserve slavery and White supremacy.

When someone tells me "it's about heritage not hate", I look at their statement as a lie. Why? Because I have historical evidence to prove the opposite. When someone says "it wasn't about slavery it was about states' rights", I take such a statement as a lie. I remember back in high school some students would get very defense if you would even suggest that the Confederate flag is a bigoted symbol(and years later I have evidence).

This is why I was happy to see the Lee statue come down, as well as the other statues. The bottom line is this: The Confederate cause is not honorable. And there is evidence showing that it isn't honorable. Trying to say that it was honorable wouldn't be honest.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:43 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I wish there were a button on City-Data like on Facebook where you could say to delete a thread and never have to see it again. If so, this thread would be gone from my computer.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:51 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Thanks.

I've always wondered why more people didn't believe Rhett Butler from the start.
During my high school days in the 1950's, we used the phrase from the movie, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn". Even today, it still applies in some cases.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:56 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Why should the confedarcy be revered? They lost. Time to move on. Put them up in a museum about the history of slavery in this country then.
Exactly! To those that argue being part of significant historical events alone justifies keeping the statues, should Oklahoma City have statues of Timothy McVeigh or Terry Nichols? They were a tragic part of OKC history in 1995. I think we all will answer no to that! Should New York City put up a statue of Osama bin Laden? No! Several other examples could be cited to dismiss that argument. Of course, statues of actual heroes are fine! For example a statue of an NYPD rescue worker or paramedic on that tragic day, etc.

The "history" argument has been put to shame at least a few times now. Now the thread can be closed.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:05 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
The Civil War involved the entire country. It was not the act if one small group or person. It is a very significant part of the history of the United States of America. Only 1/2 of that history is being attacked here although slavery both started and ended under the United States Flag. I had always thought we have always been one nation under God but those who want the statues removed are telling me that my ancestors don't count. This makes me feel very sorry for you and your prejudice.

My husband's great grandfather had never owned a slave and had no choice but to fight for our state. He died doing his duty. Now you want to dishonor him and all the others who were honorable men and did what they were told to do. I see no shame in his actions. I am however disgusted with those tearing down artwork connected to that period of American history. You are on the same scale as Hitler. It is my understanding he liked to destroy art too.

The mayor of New Orleans evidently does not want law abiding, honorable people visiting his city. We can do that. His city stinks anyway. We visited there once and got out alive. I will count my blessings. It was a smelly cesspool. We don't drink and gamble so no reason to go back. Food wasn't that good either.

Last edited by NCN; 05-23-2017 at 05:16 PM..

Old 05-23-2017, 05:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Yeah... just what we all wanna see. The American Southerner's favorite movie about the halcyon days of the South. Today's Southerner can watch wistfully while dreaming about what could've been. "Ahhh...my own house, plantation, plenty of slaves, an overseer to keep the darkies in line, and a steady supply of young slave women to do with as I please!"

Hope you've got lots of popcorn. It's a long watch.

Oh, and please miss me with the rebuttal about how "it wasn't about slavery; it was about staaaayyyyts raaaaahhhts!"

Old 05-23-2017, 05:06 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I wish there were a button on City-Data like on Facebook where you could say to delete a thread and never have to see it again. If so, this thread would be gone from my computer.
One of the features of c-d threads is the ability to unsubscribe, doing so, one never sees additional posts to that thread, ever, unless they go looking for it. I've used it many many times over ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies