Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 03:01 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Makes you think...two movies come to mind... "Maximum Overdrive" and "The Terminator".
lol, I keep reminding people of Maximum Overdrive. It was a kickass movie at the time especially the scary clown truck and AC/DC sound track. Now the idea is not so funny... Watch out for your can opener, keep an eye on your toaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 03:32 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
The hypocrisy of the Trump supporters continues. When Obama commuted the sentence of Chelsea Manning, he was harshly criticized and some posters called Manning a traitor. Yet the same people are praising Snowden for releasing confidential information about U.S. Intelligence operations.

Snowden is a traitor. At least Manning went through the military criminal justice process, sentences and acknowledged wrongdoing. She didn't take off to live in Russia, one of our foreign adversaries.

Assange is an enemy of our country. I guess because he hates Hillary Clinton and tried to destroy her campaign, his past actions against the U.S. are forgiven because Trump said "I love Wikileaks." Sure, he loves leaks when they target his opponents, but he calls them criminal and unfair when hurt him and his associates. So, in other words, an act is only criminal when it impacts someone you hate.

If you truly believe the government is trying to control your thoughts, then you should also admit it's possible that Wikileaks and other adversarial sources helped elect the president. You can't have it both ways. Either sources that can penetrate your emails, cell phones and TV sets are trying to influence the way you live, eat and think or they aren't.
I tried to be nice and non partisan about this whole conversation, but geez lady, you are the one putting words in my mouth. You wondered why Assange seems to only be targeting the US. All I did was point out that (1) the US obviously had whistleblowers and (2) Assange may feel safer targeting the US than Russia because he doesn't want to be poisoned or something. And I never once defended Edward Snowden. Did you even read my posts?

Old 03-08-2017, 04:37 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's the wars that are making us less safe. Protecting our freedoms never make us less safe.
And how will we intercept threats without these tools? And it's not like all Americans are being actively spied on.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:01 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I tried to be nice and non partisan about this whole conversation, but geez lady, you are the one putting words in my mouth. You wondered why Assange seems to only be targeting the US. All I did was point out that (1) the US obviously had whistleblowers and (2) Assange may feel safer targeting the US than Russia because he doesn't want to be poisoned or something. And I never once defended Edward Snowden. Did you even read my posts?
The thread is about the government spying on citizens through phones and TV sets. As I wrote, you seem to be much more worried about it than I am. I don't know you or what is going on in your life, but many people wonder if they'll have a warm place to sleep or a hot meal tonight. I have one friend who is scheduled for surgery next week, followed by weeks of radiation. I just thought about her, because she has a smart TV and what we're discussing is the last thing on her mind. I guess what worries people depends on everything else that is going on in their lives. If someone wants to peek through my TV, all he'll learn is that I need a life, since I spend way too much time on threads like this one.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
And how will we intercept threats without these tools? And it's not like all Americans are being actively spied on.
Exactly.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Last week some of these same posters would have you believe your a tinfoil hat wearing nut

Old 03-08-2017, 05:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
We had a non citizen that was a suspect in a previous murder. He was traveling back and forth between here and known terrorist enclaves. We had other countries warning us about him.

Did all of this on top of the spying stop Tamerlan Tsarnaev?

This isn't about terrorism.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:48 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,734 times
Quote:
We had a non citizen that was a suspect in a previous murder. He was traveling back and forth between here and known terrorist enclaves. We had other countries warning us about him.

Well clearly the agencies don't trust each other, did this not also happen with attacks on Berlin last December. The U.S. Warned them and they didn't really do much about it.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:50 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Well clearly the agencies don't trust each other, did this not also happen with attacks on Berlin last December. The U.S. Warned them and they didn't really do much about it.
So these tools didn't even help us intercept obvious threats.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:

You've used this example several times. Yes, they screwed up.

Sometimes people die in car accidents. Most of the time they have airbags, seatbelts and are following the speed limits. So does that mean we should't have any of these safety features in our vehicles or strap children into the proper car seats? You can also eat well, exercise daily and still drop dead from heart failure. So should we all start drinking, smoking and eating fatty foods? If a plane crashes because of human error, should we stop training pilots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies