Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 08:08 AM

88,804 posts, read 44,610,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Haven't you heard?

Most major companies are dumping pension plans.

Mine has.
Oh, good grief.

Guess who the largest equity investor is in the US?

CalPERS. The California Public Employees' Retirement System. A public employee pension system.

Largest US Investor: CalPERS

FYI, CalPERS' ten largest corporate stock holdings:
Quote:
"Can you name the biggest American investor? No, it's not Warren Buffett; as a matter of fact, it is not a person. It is CalPERS, the California Public Employees' Retirement System"...

Exxon
General Electric
Microsoft
Citigroup
Bank of America
Johnson & Johnson
Wal-Mart
Pfizer
Proctor & Gamble
JP Morgan Chase
The Ten Largest Holding of CalPERS, the Biggest U.S. Investor

Many of those California liberals who will benefit from a CalPERS pension stupidly rail against "big oil," "big pharma," and "bankers," and "Wall Strret." Idiots. The lot of them.

The post I quoted above before my response is exactly the kind of sheer stupidity I'm talking about. It's truly sad that SO many Americans have NO clue. NO clue at all. /SMH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 08:25 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,525,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Oh, good grief.

CalPERS. The California Public Employees' Retirement System. A public employee pension system.

Many of those California liberals who will benefit from a CalPERS pension stupidly rail against "big oil," "big pharma," and "bankers," and "Wall Strret." Idiots. The lot of them.

The post I quoted above before my response is exactly the kind of sheer stupidity I'm talking about. It's truly sad that SO many Americans have NO clue. NO clue at all. /SMH
Is this the famous unicorn called "trickle down"?

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 03-09-2017 at 08:38 AM..

Old 03-09-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
But that's not trickle down, is it?
In fact, it is. Pension check receivers get the trickle down of corporate profits, increased stock values, and lowered corporate tax rates.

But you already knew that.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:45 AM

5,299 posts, read 2,346,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What part of a free market bails.out failed businesses?
Bailouts aren't free market.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:47 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,450,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Please define "little." Even the carried interest is taxed at 20% long term capital gain rate, he would be paying $10M. That's NOT little.

Personally, I hope he pays $0 tax. I hope all of us pay $0 tax.

If you want everybody pays the same amount or same rate, let's do that. Let's set a number fair to everybody?
We're talking percentages here, do we honestly need to qualify that? If I make a billion but pay 1mm and you make 50k but pay 5k in taxes, yes I paid a larger amount but I paid a much smaller effective tax rate.

And as for your 0 tax idea, that's just silly pie in the sky...as the saying goes, taxes are the price we pay for civilization. If your so hell bent on paying no taxes try Somolia, you can prob get away from any tax liability whatsoever.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:49 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,450,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Oh, good grief.

It's hypocrisy on both sides. Hedge funds, big banks, and or shops that rail against unions and collective bargaining also lineup to accept pension funds left and right...calsters, calpers, ny state, Texas, NYC public unions, cpp etc...

Old 03-09-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
We're talking percentages here, do we honestly need to qualify that? If I make a billion but pay 1mm and you make 50k but pay 5k in taxes, yes I paid a larger amount but I paid a much smaller effective tax rate.
Here's the analogy... Why should one person pay 5k for "a gallon of milk" while another person is charged 1mm for "a gallon of milk?"

Old 03-09-2017, 10:01 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Trickle down = shovel up. Wealth has always been redistributed from the people that do the work to the people that own the workplace. ALWAYS! Our economy is still based on the Roman slave estates only we now call ourselves free.

This has worked well enough that the resort OWNED by our President doubled its annual fee to $200,000 per member and they still are getting more applicants than they have room. The Donald will NEVER allow ANY of his income to trickle anywhere except his own pocket.

You guys elected a thief and we all have to live with that. Unfortunately for most of us including the vast majority that elected him.
So far that thief is providing an avenue of trickle down that I'm quite enjoying.
I do construction jobs. My clients are largely retired.
Their stocks are doing so well my phones ringing off the hook for remodels.

Half the number of illegals are out there bidding unlicensed cheap work, at the same time people are being able to afford higher quality work and hiring licensed contractors again.

I'm making good money now. It's not even a trickle, it's gaining waterfall status.

I am able to hire and pay workers more than I could have last year. They are happy and I'm happy and the people getting a bitchen remodel are over the moon.

Please tell me how horrible this will turn out. I'm all ears.

While I type Trump just signed a bill allowing it to become easier for banks to loan small business owners like myself money who have been struggling to get loans. NICE!!

Please, start raining on my parade. I'm all ears.

Last edited by Tokinouta; 03-09-2017 at 10:37 AM..

Old 03-09-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
It's hypocrisy on both sides. Hedge funds, big banks, and or shops that rail against unions and collective bargaining also lineup to accept pension funds left and right...calsters, calpers, ny state, Texas, NYC public unions, cpp etc...
How do unions and collective bargaining advocates line up to eschew their pension benefits? I've not seen any of them do so. In fact, it's the exact opposite. They want the exact same profits the hedge funds and big banks are getting.

When unions and collective bargaining advocates put their money where their mouths are and eschew their invested share gains from Wall Street, bank, corporate, etc., profits, maybe they can be taken seriously. Until then, they are SUPREMELY idiotic hypocrites. And you KNOW it.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:15 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,525,305 times
Quote:

And as for your 0 tax idea, that's just silly pie in the sky...as the saying goes, taxes are the price we pay for civilization. If your so hell bent on paying no taxes try Somolia, you can prob get away from any tax liability whatsoever.
Is the dollar the rich guy earns different from the one you and I earn? A dollar is a dollar, no? So he must pay $10 million and you only pay a few thousand? That's somehow fair to you?

I meant $0 income tax. It's ridiculous that we have to pay income tax. Replace it with the Fair Tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies