Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 04:18 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,221,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Tony...maybe I'm not being clear. We know how to lose weight...the trouble is we (as a country) have been abysmal at keeping it off. 2 year outcomes on weight loss diets are horrid. So yes in theory we understand the law of thermodynamics and calorie balance but we haven't found ways to adjust that to be in our favor in a successful way.

As a public health issue we'd need to look at the reasons why people re-gain the weight and why obesity occurs in the first place. We know children are becoming heavier and heavier and that's a major issue. Once you "get fat" your body will do everything it can to stay fat.
More BS. People lack will power. It's their own damn fault.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:21 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Do people really need to be told that you can't eat the entire cow at one sitting and stay slim and healthy. Are people children?
If real life is real, then yes.
They also need to be told not to consume drug, not have unprotected sex, wear motorcycle helmets, etc.

I was a libertarian when I was young and though government shouldn't perform any of these function. But the reality is that most people are amoral and too preoccupied with activities that soften their intellectual capacities...and thus, the state has to take a paternalistic posture at times

Old 03-07-2017, 04:22 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Honestly, the key is to avoid high fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners. Both of those bypass (no pun intended) the mechanisms that would otherwise communicate to you that you're full.

My entire family, even my grandparents, never exercised much and stuffed their faces with whatever they wanted, but didn't really eat HFCS or artificial sweeteners. And they're all thin as rails, as am I.

The word "diet" in my family is a four-letter word.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:22 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Another key to keeping your weight down is activity, getting off your duff. Hey working would help solve both problems, keep them away from the refrigerator, the bars, and they'd get exercise too.

Now some people have health issues but it is still important to eat smart and exercise.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:27 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's not the job of the government.

Geez, I can't get over why some people believe the government should have so much power over personal choices.
Exactly!

People have become a bunch of irresponsible little babies who can't function without having a parent dictating to them.

Here is my solution....

For those of you who can not accept the responsibility of freedom, the US will gladly pay to send you to another country who will nanny you like the little pathetic babies you are. Sure, the initial cost may be a bit, but the long term savings is enormous. So, pack your bags snow flakes, it is time to move out to a nanny country of your choice. I am sure there are numerous countries out there looking for fresh peasants who adore government boots at their throat, I am sure we can find the best fit! In fact... we can create a TV show where precious little snowflakes shop the nanny country of their choice searching for the best subjugating countries!

We can call it... "Communist Hunters"!

It will be amazing!!!

Old 03-07-2017, 04:27 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I agree. I kind of posted tongue in cheek which is hard to display online. The only way is for them to go to a yearly physical which the majority of people in our nation don't do.
ACA tried to help people get off their sofa and get an annual physical and related tests by covering the cost, without a copay, even if they didn't meet their deductible yet.

The goal was to get people to catch health issues before they got worse. For example, catch pre diabetes or a rise in blood pressure and get the doctor to identify a way to solve it by losing 30 lbs rather than get worse and risk needing Rx.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:28 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Meaningless. People binge on carbs not fats. Of course calories will be higher. Fats also have many additional health benefits.
Quote:
Low carb = low calorie

If you've ever spreadsheeted a diet you would know this.
#1 - There is no difference in fat loss outcomes when equating for calories between low-carb and low-fat diets. None, 0.

#2 - Low carb = Low calorie lol? BRB while I down 1000 grams of fat...that'll work out great for fat loss! :sarcasm:

#3 - *I* keep a record of my calorie and macronutrient intake everyday on fitday. Been doing so since I was in University around 2004-2005.

#4 - No reason to be upset and set-up strawmen when you're wrong. Take it as a learning experience. You're subjective preference to eat low carb, is just that, a preference. In studies low-carb and low-fat diets both work when equating for calories. I'm not sure why you're becoming upset and defending it like a religion.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:28 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Another key to keeping your weight down is activity, getting off your duff. Hey working would help solve both problems, keep them away from the refrigerator, the bars, and they'd get exercise too.

Now some people have health issues but it is still important to eat smart and exercise.
That part is admittedly easy for me. I live in the city and walk everywhere. I probably walk 2-3 miles every day just going to/from work, going grocery shopping, misc errands, etc. On weekends I like to go hiking, rock climbing, or go to the park for archery.

Hmm...but if I lived in a suburban/rural area, I'd be big on growing my own fruits and veggies, so I'd get exercise in the garden.

So yeah, it's nothing Trump can do. People just have to get creative.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:29 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post

For those of you who can not accept the responsibility of freedom, the US will gladly pay to send you to another country
What? No, they won't. They can't send you to another country if you are a US Citizen.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:31 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,050 times
Quote:
More BS. People lack will power. It's their own damn fault.
So you'd say it's the fault of the child here that she's obese and not the parents? Do you realize how difficult it will be for someone like that to correct themselves once they've put on all of those fat cells (which *never* go away but only reduce in size)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj0kr1QLjD0

I have no problem chalking it up to responsibility and laziness for adults whom willingly become obese. However to ignore the public health issue of *children* being obese, and the lifelong ramifications of that, is willful ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies