Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 06:47 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,382,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Easy!

Medicare for all. Cut out the middle man! Do we really need health insurance companies to make billions in profit? Why not add a pool of healthy young people to the Medicare Plan?

Why not negotiate a price cut from the Pharma industry? Why do they charge so much more in the US than in Canada?

Sure, keep the private health plans. But, make the private plans compete with the public option.

I think the government should allow all American citizens over the age of 50 to buy into Medicare and market rate insurance for the American, younger, rest of the country should be pretty cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 06:59 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times
States just pool together various insurance companies with various tiers of coverage at various cost. Takes burden away from the employer. Individuals can add on eye insurance, health insurance for travel, dental, and pet insurance.

Have Crystal, Platinum, and Gold that cover pretty existing conditions, most expansive coverage, and low deductibles ($500, $1000, $1500).

Silver and Bronze mid range. Does not cover pretty existing conditions. Covers decent portion of care. Deductible is mid range ($2,000 & $3,000)

Copper (S) is basic and income adjusted. However, high deductible ($1,500). Not as extensive coverage. Added 2% fee added on to insurance payments goes to the State.

Copper is not income adjusted. Similar to Copper (S) basic, not extensive coverage and high deductible ($5,000). Eligible for tax rebate based off of the percentage yearly insurance cost deducted from yearly income. So say insurance cost $2,400 yearly and you make $80K. That's 3% of your income multiplied into $2,400 receive $72 back by the end of the year.

Then State Insurance eligible for individuals who are below threshold for living wage based off of size of household. In addition to, must be in Social Security database and must not be incarcerated to apply for these health insurances.

Tier 1 - Two year temporary insurance for individuals who are homeless or unemployed. No cost insurance paid by the State via taxes. Extensive coverage with no need for deductible. Basically universal health care.

Tier 2 - Similar to Tier 1. It is for individuals on Disability. Small payment for insurance that is adjusted based off disability income and not regular income.

Tier 3 - Is Income adjusted. For individuals receiving State Benefits. Extensive coverage and low deductible of ($1000).

Copper S would fall into Tier 4.

Then Religious Organizations, Universities, Hospitals, and Bussinesses can choose to open up their own Health Savings Account for others to use.

Universal health care for individuals over 65. Universal mental health care. Universal health care for active duty military members and dependents. Government pays 50% of National Guard and Reserve insurance payments. Universal Healthcare for individuals who left military on good terms and served 2 or more year's of Active Duty. Care is extended based on length of service. Say you did 10 year's of Active Duty be eligible for 10 years of Universal Healthcare. In addition to, once universal care expires can apply to a Government insurance plan that has extensive coverage, low deductible, low payments, and low cost of care.

Healthcare rebates takes off X amount of money off payments for the following year of plan you choose. Say if you haven't smoked in a year, annual dentist cleaning, physical a year, joined a gym, and so forth you receive $500 off your total insurance cost.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:04 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,973,785 times
Quote:
Easy!

Medicare for all. Cut out the middle man! Do we really need health insurance companies to make billions in profit? Why not add a pool of healthy young people to the Medicare Plan?

Why not negotiate a price cut from the Pharma industry? Why do they charge so much more in the US than in Canada?

Sure, keep the private health plans. But, make the private plans compete with the public option.
Thats a good way to kill 2-3 million decent and better than decent paying jobs, keep the great ideas coming. Our government cant even keep the SSN of FBI/NSA/CIA agents or our nuclear secrets safe from sloppy employees and hackers, I certainly don't want to take my chances with them handling my personal information.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:11 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
As liberal as I am, I would hate to be forced into a government healthcare plan right now. My employer group plan that my spouse and I are on is quite wonderful, thank you very much.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:15 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,157,256 times
Quote:
Easy!

When you stop doing what you do for profit... then you can call for others to stop doing what they do for profit.

People in health care work hard like everyone else (often harder) and deserve the fruits of their labor. Health care is not a charity.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:25 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Nah. Repeal it it in its entirety.

Make people responsible for themselves instead of demanding big brother i.e. taxpayers take care of them.

Other people's needs are not my problem.
It is nice of you to say that, but we are not hunter and gatherers anymore. One of the consequences of civilization is to pool people and resources to advance society to a higher level. Recycling ancient conservative sayings worked well in the past, but we are moving in a new direction.

The Germans, probably the most advanced society at the end of the 19th century figured out that health insurance was worth a try. This type of activity brings more prosperity and greater civilization achievements.
It is no wonder that MANKIND remained in a rot for hundreds of thousands of years until agriculture was developed 12,000 years ago. Obviously agriculture is a communal effort and not each man for himself.

I am assuming you live in a remote area with no water, electricity, heat, or a grocery store. You go out everyday and hunt for the food you eat.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
When you stop doing what you do for profit... then you can call for others to stop doing what they do for profit.

People in health care work hard like everyone else (often harder) and deserve the fruits of their labor. Health care is not a charity.

The health care insurance people provide NO HEALTH CARE!

All they do is collect premiums from you and others. They pay the medical bills and keep the rest as profit. It is a great gig if you can fool people.

Why not do like the Mayo Clinic? You can buy insurance from them and they will actually provide your medical care. They cut out the middle man whom for some mysterious reason you believe they work hard to give you medical care. In reality they work hard to give you the least amount of coverage (and make sure your deductible is high) so they can maximize profit.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:32 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,973,785 times
Quote:
It is nice of you to say that, but we are not hunter and gatherers anymore. One of the consequences of civilization is to pool people and resources to advance society to a higher level. Recycling ancient conservative sayings worked well in the past, but we are moving in a new direction.

The Germans, probably the most advanced society at the end of the 19th century figured out that health insurance was worth a try. This type of activity brings more prosperity and greater civilization achievements.
It is no wonder that MANKIND remained in a rot for hundreds of thousands of years until agriculture was developed 12,000 years ago. Obviously agriculture is a communal effort and not each man for himself.

I am assuming you live in a remote area with no water, electricity, heat, or a grocery store. You go out everyday and hunt for the food you eat.
Maybe that is your world view, but don't assume that everyone does or should buy into that panacea. At the end of the day its on you to make something for yourself. Not saying we should treat people poorly or neglect those who truly need help, but its not on me to fund the basics for others while I work to make my own life better. I donate to charity when I see causes that I have particularly strong feelings for, but at the end of the day I'm working to make sure that I can be healthy my whole life, not live in poverty, and be able to retire and be self sufficient one day. I'm on a decent path, but one can never be too safe, it isn't the governments job to decide when I've "gotten enough" and need to start working for others.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
As liberal as I am, I would hate to be forced into a government healthcare plan right now. My employer group plan that my spouse and I are on is quite wonderful, thank you very much.
Sure, as long as someone picks up the bill everything is OK. But, no one is saying to do away with your plan. Your boss can still buy that plan and not the Medicare plan. However, when you become old you will not have that plan anymore. Insuring old people is a very risky business.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Probably shouldn't come as any surprise, but even Medicare claims are processed not by Medicare government employees, but by regional insurance companies (such as BCBS), referred to as Medicare Administrative Contractors (MAC).

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/arti...NEWS/150919881

How to Code and Process Medicare Claims - dummies
Yep, insurance does paper work and provides ZERO health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies