Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:25 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'll let you in on something you may not be aware of. Women are the ones who produce the children in the first place. For all you naysayers who say these women wasted their time, they should have been working, they're selfish and self centered, blah blah blah, I'll remind you that it's protests like these that gave us the right to vote as well as many other rights you probably take for granted every single day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So, you have the right to vote. What are you protesting about now?

Here's something to think about;

More Than 21 Million Women Miss Work for ‘A Day Without a Woman’

More Than 21 Million Women Miss Work for
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
And what exactly, was it that these women were protesting about? Do tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Those battles were already fought and won long ago. Women are half the workforce and more than half the college student enrollment.
Negative. They were protesting about several things, the continuing gender wage gap for one. Another thing they are protesting is the continual restrictions on abortion rights. Texas women, you know what I'm talking about. And it is a right, even though Trump and other legislators keep wanting to crawl inside our uterus. And let's not forget that women are much more likely to be in dead end jobs and have less education than men. But if you want to make fun of other women for attending a rally and ignoring these uncomfortable truths, that's fine. But they are true. Women have yet to be equal in these areas and that's what they were protesting. Besides, if a group of people want to protest the existence of high heeled shoes, what difference does it make? You don't have to participate, and certainly don't have to believe in every cause. That's the beauty of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 10:33 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
LOL. You're so funny!

If men stopped working for a day, they would birth the other half of the population. LOL
(see other thread on this subject - hilarious)

Okay, that's just wrong... funny as hell... still wrong

Old 03-09-2017, 11:33 AM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Negative. They were protesting about several things, the continuing gender wage gap for one. Another thing they are protesting is the continual restrictions on abortion rights. Texas women, you know what I'm talking about. And it is a right, even though Trump and other legislators keep wanting to crawl inside our uterus. And let's not forget that women are much more likely to be in dead end jobs and have less education than men. But if you want to make fun of other women for attending a rally and ignoring these uncomfortable truths, that's fine. But they are true. Women have yet to be equal in these areas and that's what they were protesting. Besides, if a group of people want to protest the existence of high heeled shoes, what difference does it make? You don't have to participate, and certainly don't have to believe in every cause. That's the beauty of America.
Per the bolded. Think again:

Women More Likely Than Men to Get College Degree | Time.com

Old 03-09-2017, 11:39 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,756 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'd think it's the other way around too.

When do you see women doing stuff like road construction or home/building construction? Or janitors or trash persons? Mail carriers, etc?

Usually women either are stay at home, nurses/flight attendants, or are in very successful white collar positions.

All of the women that I've dated in the DC area (in their 20's/30's) ranged from doctors, attorneys, project managers and were in the govt and in major corporations. My current gf is an engineer with 2 master degrees.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 PM

588 posts, read 562,395 times
Quote:
There is no gender wage gap

https://www.prageru.com/courses/poli...ender-wage-gap

Old 03-09-2017, 02:31 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
You are obviously way too young to remember the whole women's lib movement and what it was all about.

I'm old enough to remember when the classified ads in the newspapers had jobs listed this way---Help Wanted Male and Help Wanted Female. You, no doubt, can use your imagination as to what jobs were considered "female".

Girls grew up hearing that they couldn't do certain jobs because they were for men. When women wanted to do those jobs that were considered to be for men, they really had to fight to get there. For example, if a woman wanted to be a doctor or engineer, she was constantly told to forget about it that those jobs weren't for her. When she went to college to study in those fields, she didn't get the same encouragement or support that men did.

Some girls actually were told that as a woman you went to college to meet your future husband. She was expected to marry right out of college and never use her degree. Or if she did go to college, she was expected to either become a teacher or a nurse.

In the mid 70s, right out of college, I got a part-time minimum wage job. It was all I could get at the time as the economy was really horrible. One time I went to a work site where one of the requirements was for me to open a large garage door. There was a chain on the side where one had to use it to open the door. When the site boss saw me for the first time, he said "I told them not to send me any women!" He thought that women were incapable of opening a garage door. I had to show him I could do it. The next day the company told me that I couldn't go back to the job because the idiot in charge didn't want any women! I had no recourse back then so I had to accept it.

So...once again, I have no idea as to what these current women's marches are all about. What do they expect to accomplish while wearing their p*ssyhats?

Old 03-09-2017, 02:55 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The one school system, Prince George's County, closed because 30% of its bus drivers put in for leave as well as 1700 of 9100 teachers.

It doesn't have enough drivers or subs to cover on a normal day.

They need to extend the school semester by one day to make up for the loss.

Looking at the picture I am reminded of a former coworker who used to say "red hat means no drawers".

Old 03-09-2017, 03:00 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Negative. They were protesting about several things, the continuing gender wage gap for one. .
There is no gender wage gap.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:33 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Quote:
You are obviously way too young to remember the whole women's lib movement and what it was all about.

I'm old enough to remember when the classified ads in the newspapers had jobs listed this way---Help Wanted Male and Help Wanted Female. You, no doubt, can use your imagination as to what jobs were considered "female".

Girls grew up hearing that they couldn't do certain jobs because they were for men. When women wanted to do those jobs that were considered to be for men, they really had to fight to get there. For example, if a woman wanted to be a doctor or engineer, she was constantly told to forget about it that those jobs weren't for her. When she went to college to study in those fields, she didn't get the same encouragement or support that men did.[snip]
What a great post. I had forgotten about the Male and Female job postings in the newspapers until you reminded me of it. Hard to believe, isn't it? I graduated in the early 80s from undergrad so that was not that long ago.

You are so right that we had to fight for our jobs that were considered "male" when we graduated decades ago. Our male employers and coworkers, however, were impressed with our work ethic and skills which is why women are so successful in the workplace.

I wish young women would appreciate that women are more than half of college students now. There is no discrimination. Women can choose anything they want to do. There is also no reason to protest for women's rights. We have every and any choice possible and are so fortunate to live in this country.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:40 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
...gender wage gap... aint real...

https://www.prageru.com/courses/poli...ender-wage-gap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies