Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 11:27 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am indifferent.

We are all selfish, but people who choose to have children are more selfish because they want to pass on their genes at other people's expense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
You are indifferent to the fact that you were born? Forgive me if I find that difficult to believe. I've had some seriously dark episodes of depression in my life, but overall, I am very, very glad to be here.
If you can't understand lifeexplorer's and many others position, you are an example of poor mentality and immorality being passed to you (another generation). So is this what you teach your kids? That it's ok to live off the tax payer? If so, you are passing it on to the next generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 11:28 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Liberals claim moral superiority but they support immoral behavior... lack of decency, lack of compassion for their offspring and the tax payer and their families.

The very people who demand others pay for their choices are the very people perpetuating poverty. Instead of condoning this culture and behavior, Liberals should encourage the opposite. Sometimes you got to let people lay in their own bed before they'll get it. You don't just keep throwing free money at them, that only perpetuates the problem.
How about you respond to the proposed solution instead of sounding like the crazy cat lady?

Edit.

In other words, what's wrong with giving poor people incentives to not breed?

Old 03-09-2017, 11:29 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
In another thread, someone suggested the following solution to poverty. I can't remember who this person was, so if you think this was your idea please speak up.

Here's the solution. Basic income for life of about ~$2000/month to anyone with one condition: voluntarily submit oneself to sterilization. Within a generation or so, the problem of poverty will be solved.

This suggestion was written on here a few weeks ago. On the outside, it sounds horrid, doesn't it? But I cannot find anything logically wrong with this policy. Put aside political correctness for a moment. What exactly is wrong with this solution?
Our economy depends on spending and growth. If you decline the birthdate, then we need even more immigrants.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:30 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
If you can't understand lifeexplorer's and many others position, you are an example of poor mentality and immorality being passed to you (another generation). So is this what you teach your kids? That it's ok to live off the tax payer? If so, you are passing it on to the next generation.
You are reading an awful lot into my question, which was simply this: Are you grateful to be alive, happy to have been born?

Old 03-09-2017, 11:31 AM

1,548 posts, read 912,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
American poverty is relative to how other Americans are doing financially. The concept of American poverty is a useful, highly flexible tool for politicians to utilize to push for their preferred policy programs.

One could already make the argument that there is no true poverty in the US. No one is starving to death. All Americans can get basic clothing if they need it. Relatively few Americans are truly homeless through no fault of their own.
I like the way you think, sir.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
How about you respond to the proposed solution instead of sounding like the crazy cat lady?
How about instead of expecting other people to support their children, use common sense, don't have children you can't support. And don't teach your children that it is ok to have children you can not provide a reasonable standard of living on your own, it's selfish to bring children into a life of poverty. Teach and prepare them to be self sufficient. Don't perpetuate continued poverty in your family.

Wow, that was easy!

Old 03-09-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
You are reading an awful lot into my question, which was simply this: Are you grateful to be alive, happy to have been born?
Sure I am. And I'm grateful my parents taught me to always look to myself to provide for me an my family... They taught me to prepare for my future. In other words I had very good parents who cared about me and my future.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:34 AM

Unfortunately people tend to be only as good as their teachers.

Take a look at you're parents, You are looking at your future if you follow their lead.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:35 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Sure I am. And I'm grateful my parents taught me to always look to myself to provide for me an my family... They taught me to prepare for my future. In other words I had very good parents who cared about me and my future.
Umm...the question was not actually directed at you. As much as this crazy cat lady hates to agree with Metro, I think you are not paying attention.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Umm...the question was not actually directed at you. As much as this crazy cat lady hates to agree with Metro, I think you are not paying attention.
Well you quoted me when you asked the question. See above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies