Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 04:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
https://www.prageru.com/courses/poli...t-muslim-women

A very important talk from Prager university.
A very important message from the foundation:

" You can make a difference"

Donate Now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 04:49 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
Feminism is a just a self entitled US woman thing they know absolutely nothing about how women in the rest of the world have to live. They think having to drive a Ford Escape instead of a BMW luxury SUV is gender inequality, lol.

Little girls in the slums of Manila :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uHJNVK_irw

Old 03-09-2017, 05:26 AM

I am in Florida this week. I observed a Muslim family enjoying their time together in the pool yesterday. The wife/ mother wore a scarf and robe in the pool with pants underneath. I learned they were second generation and both were practicing dentists in Ohio. Kids are hot dogs with ketsup.

Not my place to impose my cultural values on this woman and family who so obviously were enjoying their family vacation. She clearly had no issue with my or anyone else's choice to wear a bathing suit.

Women are not allowed to vote in only two countries, Saudi Arabia and The Vatican. The US was the 12 th country to grant women the right to vote.

I am more concerned about the lack of potable water and famine in many parts of the world than I am women's rights.

Making a good living off of clickbait, condemning Islam does nothing for woman other than the namesake publisher.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Feminism is a just a self entitled US woman thing they know absolutely nothing about how women in the rest of the world have to live. They think having to drive a Ford Escape instead of a BMW luxury SUV is gender inequality, lol.

Little girls in the slums of Manila :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uHJNVK_irw
Little girls in a super majority Christian country like The Philippines.....

Old 03-09-2017, 05:54 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
I find this one fascinating as they seem to value support of Islam over previous supportive groups of Jewish, women, labor, and gay.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:08 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,799 times
In the first wave of feminism, which was largely a movement made up of white Westen women, the feminists did try to speak up for other women. The problem was that their experience was not universal. The most important issues facing a white woman in the US in the 1960s were not the same as the most important issues facing a black woman, for example. The early feminists were strongly criticized, and rightly so, for presuming to speak for all women. Matters got even worse when they presumed to speak for other groups of women.

Since that time, feminists have been much more careful. They tend to speak for their own group only, and give support to other feminists in other communities and other countries. There is indeed a feminist movement in the Middle East, and Western feminists do support their work. Look at Malala, for example, or the women in Saudi Arabia who have participated in the driving protests, or the support for the women marching in Tarir square. They're all incredibly capable Muslim feminists. What you might notice, too, is that none of them are focused on hijab, like the Westerners looking in are. They're focused on education, self-determination, and having a voice. It would be absolutely wrong for us to go in and say "your real problem is wearing hijab. You must fight to take it off!" Instead, we support their struggle while recognizing that it is theirs.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:24 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
In the first wave of feminism, which was largely a movement made up of white Westen women, the feminists did try to speak up for other women. The problem was that their experience was not universal. The most important issues facing a white woman in the US in the 1960s were not the same as the most important issues facing a black woman, for example. The early feminists were strongly criticized, and rightly so, for presuming to speak for all women. Matters got even worse when they presumed to speak for other groups of women.

Since that time, feminists have been much more careful. They tend to speak for their own group only, and give support to other feminists in other communities and other countries. There is indeed a feminist movement in the Middle East, and Western feminists do support their work. Look at Malala, for example, or the women in Saudi Arabia who have participated in the driving protests, or the support for the women marching in Tarir square. They're all incredibly capable Muslim feminists. What you might notice, too, is that none of them are focused on hijab, like the Westerners looking in are. They're focused on education, self-determination, and having a voice. It would be absolutely wrong for us to go in and say "your real problem is wearing hijab. You must fight to take it off!" Instead, we support their struggle while recognizing that it is theirs.
I think that's because black women still had it a lot worse no matter how much white women wanted to whine woas me. If I was a black woman back then..I would have been pretty disgusted to be honest.

A lot of them were white women that grew up very privileged it's just that when they entered the workforce and the economy started changing they wanted more managerial positions.

The truth is, white women in the US have never really had it bad compared to most other women yet they were the ones stomping their feet the loudest. and it's still like that today for the most part.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:29 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Oh, they do but for Muslim women who wear hijab and if left to their own devices would force it on others too.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:50 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I think that's because black women still had it a lot worse no matter how much white women wanted to whine woas me. If I was a black woman back then..I would have been pretty disgusted to be honest.

A lot of them were white women that grew up very privileged it's just that when they entered the workforce and the economy started changing they wanted more managerial positions.

The truth is, white women in the US have never really had it bad compared to most other women yet they were the ones stomping their feet the loudest. and it's still like that today for the most part.
Just because someone else has it "worse" does not mean you've lost the right to fight for justice. If that were true, wed have to say that blue collar workers have no right to ask the government to work to increase employment options for them because workers in Afghanistan are worse off.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:21 AM

421 posts, read 204,996 times
It's because Islam/muslims is higher up on the Left's "PC/diversity totem pole", higher up the "heirarchy", and thus "exempt" from criticism or attack (even by women/feminists) Criticizing Islam is simply forbidden in Leftist circles, even hardcore foaming-at-the-mouth feminists are barred from doing so.

Don't get me wrong, women are pretty high up on the Left's "heirarchy", but the vagina card still doesn't trump Islam/other races on the totem pole. While we're on this topic, it's interesting that feminists are also DEAD SILENT when it comes to rap music/rap culture - even though there is objectification/disrespect of women GALORE in that genre I guess blacks also trump the vagina card

Curiously, the LGBT/transgender card also trumps the vagina card on the Leftist totem pole "heirarchy", which is very interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies