Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 10:25 AM

39,008 posts, read 27,392,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
ISIS is an acronym for a country like the USA is an acronym for a country. And that country is poorly equipped compared to when we went to fight Saddam during the 1st Gulf War. If the USA can't defeat a ragtag country then it has zero business squaring off with first rate military powers like Russia and China.

Al Qaida was not and is not a country. It is an an NGO.

Okay, let me explain it like this. An NGO is the KKK. The state of Mississippi is not an an NGO.

ISIS would be the equivalent of Mississippi and any Al Qaida in it would be the equivalent of Al Qaida.

How to destroy ISIS is pretty simple. As General Mattie himself has said--the same thing I have been saying--you anihilation them. A war of anihilation vs a war of attrition.

War of attrition is what we have been fighting against Assad and what we fought against Saddam in the 1st Gulf War. In mathematics it might be looked at something like this: 100 - 40 = 60 (war of attrition) and 100 - 100 = 0 (war of anihilation).

In a war of attrition are trying to get your opponent to tap out, to come to the table to cede to your demands, for a political win.

In war of annihilation you are hoping no one survives. You end the roach infestation by killing all the roaches. No more roaches to have sex and create more babies to infest your house.
veezybell and you basically said the same thing. You both are 100% right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 10:26 AM

68,289 posts, read 54,108,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, that is why many voted Trump.
Look, I don't have any particular loyalty towards the man, but it is like music to my ears when he said
The idea of Trump not being a politician and being someone who'd do things differently may have been appealing but what I'm seeing makes him seem like little but the same old same old.

Maybe growing up in the NYC area gave me more exposure to him than people had nationally but I've never seen him as anything but a self-promoting huckster. What really troubles me is I believe he blew a golden opportunity to change American politics by running as an (I) and giving both major parties the smack-down they so richly deserve. I believe he just may have been able to pull it off and as much as I dislike him would have voted for him as an (I) believing 4 years of anybody would be a fair price for taking down the two entrenched parties..

Old 03-09-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The idea of Trump not being a politician and being someone who'd do things differently may have been appealing but what I'm seeing makes him seem like little but the same old same old.

Maybe growing up in the NYC area gave me more exposure to him than people had nationally but I've never seen him as anything but a self-promoting huckster. What really troubles me is I believe he blew a golden opportunity to change American politics by running as an (I) and giving both major parties the smack-down they so richly deserve. I believe he just may have been able to pull it off and as much as I dislike him would have voted for him as an (I) believing 4 years of anybody would be a fair price for taking down the two entrenched parties..
yep.. I understand.

At the end of the day, left or right, donkeys or elephants, we are all in this together.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
ISIS is an acronym for a country like the USA is an acronym for a country. And that country is poorly equipped compared to when we went to fight Saddam during the 1st Gulf War. If the USA can't defeat a ragtag country then it has zero business squaring off with first rate military powers like Russia and China.

Al Qaida was not and is not a country. It is an an NGO.

Okay, let me explain it like this. An NGO is the KKK. The state of Mississippi is not an an NGO.

ISIS would be the equivalent of Mississippi and any Al Qaida in it would be the equivalent of Al Qaida.

How to destroy ISIS is pretty simple. As General Mattie himself has said--the same thing I have been saying--you anihilation them. A war of anihilation vs a war of attrition.

War of attrition is what we have been fighting against Assad and what we fought against Saddam in the 1st Gulf War. In mathematics it might be looked at something like this: 100 - 40 = 60 (war of attrition) and 100 - 100 = 0 (war of anihilation).

In a war of attrition are trying to get your opponent to tap out, to come to the table to cede to your demands, for a political win.

In war of annihilation you are hoping no one survives. You end the roach infestation by killing all the roaches. No more roaches to have sex and create more babies to infest your house

Or, you could keep your own house clear of roaches and let others do the same for theirs.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
yep.. I understand.

At the end of the day, left or right, donkeys or elephants, we are all in this together.
I truly see our entrenched two-party system as a bigger threat to the country than many outside forces they tell us we should fear. 'Them or us' just doesn't seem healthy for long term survival.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:33 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,436,821 times
Quote:
Bush's 'shock & awe' war wasn't exactly a sparkling success either, those troops never should have been deployed in the first place.
No argument from me. Bush was as big an idiot as Obama.

Aren't you glad that we finally have a President that will do something different than those two?

Old 03-09-2017, 10:36 AM

yep. We never had anybody who said "iraq war is a big fat mistake."

Trump has the balls to say it. Trump also said, "you cannot fight two wars at the same time."

And oh, the take the oil part, I don't see anything wrong with that either. (this makes me a bad person, I guess.) look at the Chinese, they didn't lose any Chinese lives or blood, China could prove ultimate winner in Afghanistan. Over the past decade, China's trade has boomed with Afghanistan's resource-rich neighbors in Central Asia. For Turkmenistan, China trade reached 21 percent of GDP in 2011, up from 1 percent five years earlier, according to an Associated Press analysis of International Monetary Fund data. The equivalent figure for Tajikistan is 32 percent of GDP, versus 12 percent in 2006. China's trade with Afghanistan stood at a modest 1.3 percent of GDP in 2011.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...istan/1866571/

we should do exactly the same.

18,132 posts, read 15,544,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I totally agree. In the article the OP provided it states they haven't decided who is going to mount the offensive to take Raqqa.

It's insane.

I say it's high time we let them kill each other. We should give weapons and ammo to BOTH sides to hurry it along.

Something else has occurred to me in regards to having to actually land a forward artillery force. Naval gunfire has been declared obsolete. They had the battlewagons out for a while back in the 80s and they stayed at sea till the 90s. In many cases our forces could still very effectively bring the rain on targets without having to land artillery. With Naval guns. I wouldn't choose battleships for this, I'd bring out cruisers. With 8 inch guns instead of 16. It sounds like the 16s would be better, but pound for pound with the 8s they are not. Cruisers can lay down some serious s*** from a considerable distance out. Far cheaper and just as effectively as missiles and aircraft. Hell, bring some cruisers out of mothballs and let them off the leash.

52,433 posts, read 26,436,821 times
Quote:
I truly see our entrenched two-party system as a bigger threat to the country than many outside forces they tell us we should fear. 'Them or us' just doesn't seem healthy for long term survival.
Yet you constantly fight the one candidate who railed against it and won.

i.e. Talk is cheap.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
No argument from me. Bush was as big an idiot as Obama.

Aren't you glad that we finally have a President that will do something different than those two?
Like sending MORE US forces where they don't belong? THAT's different HOW?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies