Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 10:33 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I saw nothing in either of the articles that you posted that explains why so many candidates failed. It could be that they are totally unqualified. It could also be that the test is poorly written. It's really impossible to know without more information.
It probably means they didn't know the material. I had a lot of experience failing tests and that was always why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 10:35 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
It probably means they didn't know the material. I had a lot of experience failing tests and that was always why.
I know right? The mental gymnastics some go through to provide an excuse for why some people are just stupid. It's never them, it's the test itself.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:26 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Melania couldn't pass that test.
How many languages do you speak?

Melania Trump speaks six languages.

In critiquing Melania Trump, you merely come off as insecure and threatened.

Now tell me how you aren't.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:29 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
ugh. keep lowering that bar, folks.
Quote:
State education officials plan to scrap a literacy exam given to prospective teachers and allow certification for some applicants who fail a performance assessment test — moves that critics warned will weaken the pool of candidates.

Sources said education officials also were concerned about the disparity between passing rates among white and minority candidates.

In 2013-14, only 48 percent of aspiring black teachers and 56 percent of prospective Hispanic educators passed, compared to 75 percent of white candidates, the website Chalkbeat reported in February.

‘Literacy’ test for teachers may be nixed | New York Post

Much-criticized teacher literacy test could be on the chopping block next month | Chalkbeat
Multiculturalism and notions that we are all the same = lowering standards to "prove" that we are the same and affirm Marxist theory = death of the nation.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:26 PM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
What is the objective of the test? Competent teachers or diversity? Imagine you are about to have major surgery; do you want the competent surgeon or the diversity surgeon? Why should children get short changed in their education for the sake of diversity?

Old 03-13-2017, 04:29 PM

1,261 posts, read 950,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
That's definitely also a possibility, as I mentioned in my first post. 😄

Old 03-13-2017, 04:36 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Is she signing up to teach my kids?
She can teach my class any day.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:37 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,762 times
Why people gladly accept that certain ethnic groups are better in average in sports, but cannot accept that certain ethnic groups are better in education? Why people cannot accept facts?

Old 03-13-2017, 04:46 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Lets face it-the last thing the establishment in the education industry cares about is the students.
What was your first clue? Perhaps that the Teachers can't read OR write? It's difficult to believe that any State, Local Education authority at any level thinks the "problem" is that a Literacy Test for TEACHERS is just not "fair". Firefighters who can't pass the tests think it's just not "fair" when they don't get promoted & sue the City (for discrimination), so the City (New Haven) threw out the test results. The 18 Firefighters who Passed th tests & didn't get promoted Sued and were ruled against - it was Sonia Sotomayor who made that brilliant ruling - SHE got promoted to the US Supreme Court after being overturned by that same Court 9 times. The New Haven Firefighters were one of the cases the US Supreme Court overturned and the firefighters won their suits and their promotions.

Court Topples Sotomayor Ruling In Firefighter Case |NPR - June 2009

These idiots keep throwing money at Education - it never occurs to them to hire good Administrators and Educators that can at least READ and Write. No mystery why so many "teachers" have to have "aids" in their classrooms to help them. Now they want to toss out the Literacy Tests for the Teachers -- makes perfect sense to them, what possible good is a Teacher that can Read/Write??? They certainly don't need those people.

Education is NOT about Teaching kids anymore -- it's a JOBS program for those who can't find any other Job.
75% (the rates that Whites pass) is NOT acceptable .... that means 25% of the Teachers can't Read/Write.
It's down hill from there -- 44% of Hispanic Teachers can't Read/Write. 52% of Black Teachers can't Read/Write. None of it is acceptable.

No wonder the kids have so many problems at school -

Old 03-13-2017, 06:45 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Melania couldn't pass that test.
How do you know that? You don't. Is she trying to be a public school teacher? No.

It's sad that these people who (supposedly) graduated college can't pass a 12th grade literacy test and your best response is to attack an immigrant who speaks 5 languages - probably 5 times as many as you do.

I'd expect most people would be concerned that so many prospective teachers are illiterate, but maybe that's par for the course in the progressive dominated education (indoctrination) system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies