Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 12:56 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times

Advertisements

During Obama's presidency:
  • I ended a long term relationship... but started a new one and now married
  • I purchased a bigger home while actually decreasing my monthly mortgage payment. Never woulda thought having a CentralVac would be so awesome
  • Comparing my TY08 to TY16 tax returns, my salary wages have increased 42%
  • Husband's salary wages have doubled (mostly because he switched career paths)
  • My 401k, IRA, and standard brokerage accounts combined are worth more than 5x what they were pre-Obama
  • I still have the same car, but I also purchased a second one
  • My insurance costs are actually lower than they were 8 years ago. But this really has a LOT more to do with my job (from a very small company to now working for a fairly large tax preparation company) and less to do with ACA.
  • I went from only having about 2 months salary in savings to now having just under 6 months salary in savings
  • I finally have a proper workshop for sewing in. Priorities. I have them.
  • I bought multiple 3D printers
  • I played lots of video games
  • I traveled around the country for fun. Ate in at least one local restaurant in all 48 continental states.

Sooo, all in all, while I think Obama and his Administration had some glaringly obvious failures, especially in regards to foreign policy... life's doing pretty grand for me. At least grand enough that between our savings build up, paid maternity leave that my job offers, and the increased living space, my husband and I are trying to have a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 06:22 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
My health insurance premiums provided by my employer actually went down a tiny bit if not remained similar year over year during Obama's tenure.

As far as I know, the premiums that went up are the ones sold on Obamacare markets. A lot of it has to do with attempts to undermine it as well as efforts to block it rather than focus on fixing flaws.

As far as I am concerned, those impacted have only two people to blame..... First, your employer for not providing health insurance plans that better what is available via the ACA markets or not doing an effective job of negotiating plans. Second, those in government that blocked or refused efforts to fix the problems with ACA.

Its not like I work for a big company either.... small technology start up. We have coworker's spouses that work for big financials (Goldman Sachs was one) that have plans that suck worse.... and have higher deductibles. Why? No other conclusion than they are more worried about the bottom line than extending a good health plan to their lower tiered employees.

I've had been unemployed a few times (Bush was in office).... left with the non-option of COBRA. I wish ACA was around as an option.

As for the other related things in my life... I did fairly well under Obama. I recovered from long term unemployment. Double my salary since then. Not directly because of him.... I think he was an average president. Mostly because I work hard and frugal.

Last edited by usayit; 03-11-2017 at 06:34 AM..

Old 03-11-2017, 06:26 AM

20,106 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Obamacare is unsustainable, it has to be replaced.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:19 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
ugh...

Alright, anyone who acts like all the bad things that happened in the last 8 years were Obama fault or that every single thing Obama did was objectively wrong is a moron. In the same way, anyone who acts like people can't overall not like Obama or have valid criticisms (regardless of one's personal agreement with said criticism) are out of line is equally so a moron.

Can we be done?
At least, Obama did not give me heartburn, like the new guy does. Man, every time Mr. Trump opens his mouth or tweets, here comes the heartburn.

Obama knew the Constitution and respected people and their rights. I did not vote for him; but if 3rd terms were the law, I would vote for Obama.

Obama has diplomacy, empathy and a good heart; something else the new guy lacks.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:36 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Well ... after Bush lost about 30% of my life savings, Obama got it all back and then some. That was pretty harsh.
Democrats loosened the legislation causing the housing crisis.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:39 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Obama hates old people. Obama gave a raise to welfare recipients but no cola raise for social Security. As I said before Obama hates old people.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:46 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
The payrates for my profession have been quite stagnant under Obummer. The only reason I have been seeing my income increase is because of taking on more responsibility and working more overtime. While my yearly income is pretty decent (I earn more than most of my college grad friends), my expenses have risen. I don't know how people with debt are managing to get by in this economy. I know many who claim they are disillusioned. You can't do good work or grow your career living in that kind of reality I'm afraid.

The reality is, workers have lost under Obama. The working class has been devastated. Worker's share of GDP is going down, down, down. It is not corporate America's job to look after the people. That is supposed to be the government's job. Unfortunately, our government has let us down.

I have started a business on the side to increase my income earning potential, but that faces many challenges as well. I have spent more than I have taken in, but that's how most businesses start out. This has also put me in a position where I work and sleep, and that's about it. Not fun, and not worth any sum of money in my opinion. There must be balance in life, otherwise, it's hard to do good work.

Only time will tell if this was a good decision on my part. The reality is, there's an awful lot of competition out there already, and people are more than willing to become slaves to the system, and to their businesses, even when they aren't making a profit. In such an environment, I'd rather kick my feet up and let the world rip itself apart.

Thank you Obama for crushing the hopes and dreams of the next generation in line to carry America forward. Or backwards, at the rate things are going. Note to America, never elect a loser to lead.

Obama = One big ass mistake America

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I am ashamed to be an American right now.
Expatriation is at record levels for America. Maybe it's time to join the crowd

Old 03-11-2017, 07:48 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Obama hates old people. Obama gave a raise to welfare recipients but no cola raise for social Security. As I said before Obama hates old people.
The entire welfare program is 17 Billion/year. It's a drop in the bucket of federal spending.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:11 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
To call the ACA a failure is like calling the first automobile; lousey, unreliable, and an expensive form of transportation. No one ever said let's go back to horses and buggies. The GOP could of had input for the last 8 years and tweaked this legislation but they didn't either have the forethought or honesty to tell their constituents that Obama laid the foundation of what will always be with us in some form or another.

I don't have a dog in the fight. When I was 27 years old I dropped my health insurance and started doing everything "they" say is good for you and stopped doing everything they say is bad for you. My biggest complaint is I do have insurance now but I have never filed claim in my life, same with car insurance. 30 years of premiums down the drain.

I can't conceive of a scenario where I would have so much exposure as to let a politician ruin my life.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:38 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Young people absolutely need to have health insurance. What if they have an accident and end up in the Er. What if they are diagnosed with an illness and need treatment. Without insurance, we pay for it and our rates go up.
I hate it when people make up "what ifs!" For one thing, if we can send millions to other countries to feed their people, we should be able to afford a what if accident by any young person. We could stop with the helping the world take care of their people and start in America, as President Trump wants to do. For the most part young people or older people can not afford $300-$600 a month, why can't people see this? Most plans only cover maintenance, most don't cover major medical issues and most have a cap of 1 million........cancer patients can spend this in no time, then what?

The strange thing more illegals use our healthcare/welfare system than Americans.......we should start there and then you can complain about Americans with no health insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies