Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 06:51 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Sure it can.
No Religion cannot cure PTSD.

The most significant neurological impact of trauma is seen in the hippocampus. PTSD patients show a considerable reduction in the volume of the hippocampus. This region of the brain is responsible for memory functions. It helps an individual to record new memories and retrieve them later in response to specific and relevant environmental stimuli. The hippocampus also helps us distinguish between past and present memories.
PTSD patients with reduced hippocampal volumes lose the ability to discriminate between past and present experiences or interpret environmental contexts correctly. Their particular neural mechanisms trigger extreme stress responses when confronted with environmental situations that only remotely resemble something from their traumatic past.

He should seek professional help. Like EMDR

This is not a personal attack towards the op because I think op means well. But it is NOT right to promote religion using htis particular example. What he should do is seeking professional help, if he still wants to be a Muslim, then fine. But it looks like he is using religion to deal with his REAL issue. It is almost like self medicating with alcohol. A lot of people claim alcohol helps too. It doesn't.

Similar to the Praying the gay away "movement". lol I am a Christian, but I think sometimes, religion does hijack science.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 03-11-2017 at 07:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 08:22 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
He says the following..

"“Islam is not a hateful or violent religion, and I think a lot of the misconceptions happen because we confuse the different cultures with the religion,” he said."

Wanted to Blow up Mosque, Now Spreads Islam | About Islam

So how does he interpret these passages?

Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief or unrest] is worse than killing... but if they desist, then lo!

Quran (2:244) - "Then fight in the cause of Allah, and know that Allah Heareth and knoweth all things."

Quran (2:216) - "Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not."

The Quran's Verses of Violence

There are plenty more verses.

It doesn't sound like he's a very good muslim, but things could get interesting if he decides to be one.

Educate yourself. Many are far too ignorant regarding this issue. I'd love to hear this guy's response to these passages, and how he defends his position of Islam being "peaceful".

The actions of history speak otherwise.
Read the seerah of the Prophet Muhammad (saw). Those verses you quote were specific commands in battles whereby the Prophet (saw) and his followers were being chased around the Arabian peninsula by Mohammad's tribe, the Quraysh. They wanted him dead for his proposition of monotheism and the laws and rules he was bringing forth (such as banning female infanticide).

Then look at for instance the following verse to the first one you quoted...which states if the enemy combatant ceases his aggression, then one is no longer allowed to pursue.

Happy to answer more specific questions on the Islam forum. This forum just tends to degenerate in to quips and trolling.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:36 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Somebody who wants to blow up a mosque is most likely a moslem, statistically speaking. This guy sounds like trouble.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:10 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
I'm in the Houston-Metro. PM me if you're ever in the area. Happy to chat over a halal cheeseburger
Funny how you already have your stipulations and most likely don't even see it. I find this story to be like Bergdahl, maybe some men should not join the military. Looking for the horizon in foreign land or blowing innocent people up sitting in a mosque is not a balanced person. Sounds to me he may have found the people he is more able to communicate with.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:20 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Funny how you already have your stipulations and most likely don't even see it.
I was being light-hearted with the man. He said he was catholic so if it's lent when he's down here happy to meet for a fish sandwich as well

Chill-pills are definitely in order in this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies