Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 07:12 PM

379 posts, read 253,468 times

Advertisements

I've read and heard this over and over: "I'm fine with them coming here so long as they come legally."

Eventually, when third worlders become the dominant presence in the USA, it too will become third world. So why does anyone here favor more such legal immigration?

Old 03-10-2017, 07:16 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,440,241 times
Well, hopefully it's our policies and not the people who keep us out of third world status although we keep sliding down on our own.

That way those who've immigrated from third world countries can enjoy not living in one anymore. That is if we can figure out our education and health care.

I don't think it's the immigrants.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:18 PM

35,339 posts, read 20,699,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
I've read and heard this over and over: "I'm fine with them coming here so long as they come legally."

Eventually, when third worlders become the dominant presence in the USA, it too will become third world. So why does anyone here favor more such legal immigration?
how did you get here? generation #??

Old 03-10-2017, 07:18 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,896,709 times
People from the developing world won't make the US a third world country, but rolling back environmental regulations and eliminating the social safety net will.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:21 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,493,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
This is a stupid argument that keeps popping up.

Constant increasing immigration to 1 country is eventually unsustainable.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:22 PM

18,412 posts, read 15,119,766 times
I don't care where our legal immigrants come from, nearly as much as I care about their skill level and level of education.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:27 PM

51,852 posts, read 52,259,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Nothing to do with the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
This is a stupid argument that keeps popping up.

Constant increasing immigration to 1 country is eventually unsustainable.
I agreee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I don't care where our legal immigrants come from, nearly as much as I care about their skill level and level of education.
I agree for the most part, as long as they become "Americans" in all facets. Seems like that isn't happening as much anymore. People coming here just form their own enclaves and resist adapting and learning English, not all of course, but enough don't assimilate as well as they should.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:30 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,792,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree for the most part, as long as they become "Americans" in all facets. Seems like that isn't happening as much anymore. People coming here just form their own enclaves and resist adapting and learning English, not all of course, but enough don't assimilate as well as they should.
When it comes to hispanics that is a popular myth. Statistics show hispanics are assimilating just as quickly or quicker than past immigrant groups.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:32 PM

18,412 posts, read 15,119,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Nothing to do with the OP.

I agreee

I think the more educated and higher skilled immigrants will more readily assimilate. Not only will they more easily see the value of assimilation, but they will also possess the skills and likely be in jobs where they are surrounded by native born Americans rather than people from their home countries.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:36 PM

51,852 posts, read 52,259,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
When it comes to hispanics that is a popular myth. Statistics show hispanics are assimilating just as quickly or quicker than past immigrant groups.
BS, studies and stats can be skewed or taken out of context in a lot of cases. I live in So Cal and see it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I think the more educated and higher skilled immigrants will more readily assimilate. Not only will they more easily see the value of assimilation, but they will also possess the skills and likely be in jobs where they are surrounded by native born Americans rather than people from their home countries.
I suppose you're probably right, I do think that the higher skilled more educated people probably would tend to assimilate faster/more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies