Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2017, 07:52 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,981,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
VG, I stand firm in saying the real division started with the guy I voted for twice.
Bush?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 08:02 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,201,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Basically the media has turned into a political propaganda machine and that is what divides the country.

A free press is critical to a free cohesive america and we no longer have a free press...just a lapdog for the far left.
1) What is your definition of a free press? Do you mean "Fair press"? There has never existed a fair press. Nor could it ever exist. And the press is as free today as it has ever been, if not more free.

2) The media has always been a propaganda machine. And somewhat ironically, the cohesiveness of America, is the direct result of the ability of the media to propagandize.

The division in this country is actually caused by the failure of the media to propagandize. And most of that, is because the media is itself so divided.

I'm not blaming Fox News in particular. But its existence, along with people like Rush Limbaugh, throws the media propaganda machine out of balance. Left-wingers have lost their near-complete dominance of the political discourse.

This has created a kind of "information anarchy", which is made even worse by "alternative media" on the internet.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:44 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,929,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Shouldn't she know more than the students know since she is the one in charge.
What experience did Pelosi have when she helped change healthcare plans in America? If you look up Devos she has experience in education it just happens to be with Charter schools, not public. The students applying for the loan should also know what they're getting into. The students can't wake up one day and say, I don't want to pay the bill that I signed my name to......it's their choice to go into debt, not mine and not any taxpayer.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:49 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,929,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
IMO a decade or so of daily anti government sentiment pumped into the people by the likes of Limbaugh/Beck/Jones/Levin/FOX have brainwashed a large demographic of American society into hating everything ,now you have an irreparably divided country where neighbor hates neighbor merely for ones political stance or having a different view of how we achieve happiness.,Its plain to anyone that liberals are now being painted as enemies of the state Is this to be the basis of the new great America where half the population is viewed as an enemy?
Funny, how you people say this stuff, but have never listened much past the intro of any of these people. Out of the people you put, Limbaugh and Levin are the only two I have listened to. If you think they hate government, try listening and form your OWN opinion, not a talking point of Rachel Maddow or Elizabeth Warren.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:51 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Limbaugh and Levin and O'Reilly and Hannity and Maddow are all shock jocks...pure entertainment. I've listened for years and they all will take sound bites out of context to mock, or to criticize whatever.

The only reason to listen to them is laugh -- if you are using them as a source of information --- man that explains it all.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:53 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Watching and reading stuff about the 60's -- talk about a country in turmoil. USA is kidding itself when it thinks there haven't been turbulent times.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:03 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,201,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Watching and reading stuff about the 60's -- talk about a country in turmoil. USA is kidding itself when it thinks there haven't been turbulent times.
Well, the chaos was mostly the result of the Vietnam War. And the solution was fairly simple. End the War.

The problems of today can't realistically be solved. The division is just too deep.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:29 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Nice try, but no cigar. The "Hate" slogans painted on Churches and other places, during the Campaign have been proved to be the work of Liberal Snowflake Hoodlums, to try and pin it on Trump supporters. Many of these lies have been debunked as made up propaganda. If the Jewish woman was marching with anti-Trump hooligans, I would have told her to go home too. Doesn't mean I hate Jews. Just means I hate her. There is no cry for deportation of Jews, so you need to stop making up that Fake News. There is cry for Deportation of Illegal ALiens, no matter where they come from. You need to get a grip on yourself. You don't see Trump supporters dressed like Ninjas breaking windows, burning cars and destroying Taxpayers property in rioting and fighting with Police. You don't see Trump supporters out there stopping traffic and people from getting to and from work and events. Its the Liberal Crazies that are doing that.

Thats whats wrong with this Country and thats why its divided. The left wants a Civil War, and if they keep it up, they will get it, because the Right is getting very tired of this and the Anarchists running around destroying things. I would be OK with the Police shooting them. .

As far as the Muslims go, I have no problem with the people. I have a problem with their Religion which does not mix with Western Values, and there is ample proof of that if you look at whats happened to Europe. No one can deny that, since we can actually see what happens when you have a mass of Muslims enter a Country. I would have no problem with a Ban of Muslims. Let them fix their own Countries instead of coming here and everywhere else, screwing up other Countries. Even Saudi Arabia, is smart enough not to take these people in, not knowing who they really are and what their goal is.
Every now and then I'll see one post that just oozes with so much logic and truth.......

It's inspirational that so much truth can be packed into three paragraphs in 2017.

I'd rep this one a hundred times if I could.

BTW, the whole thread is one of the most thought provoking I've seen here in a long time.

CN

Old 03-11-2017, 09:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

The problems of today can't realistically be solved. The division is just too deep.
If thats the case where do you suppose it will lead ? this level of hate is growing more everyday.. the topic title is whats happening to the country, seems we have got to a point where there is now 2 Americas and each side hates the other,thats whats happening to the country.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:37 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
People too the turmoil seriously in the 60s. Now, people celebrate it. Their is a real division. It's also a perceived one. Ultimately, I think a middle crowd is easily in reach, but it becomes unreachable so long as people think that it is.

That's more the issue. People having different opinions isn't an issue unless they can't get along. And that's not a given. I have my views, as we all do, and I think that libertarianism is ridiculous, particularly the ones who, with the benefit of western decadence, believe property tax is political tyranny, but I can still respect their views, or if nothing else, their right to have them. The hold those views becasue they believe that's what's right. But that's dying. Most people assume the small government, laissez faire types are doing so because they have the poor. And on the other side, those who support more socialized utility are being labeled as anti-freedom. These are not fair assumptions to make about people.

The problems of the 60s were relatively simple by contrast to the current situation. No doubt, there was political turmoil, but it seemed to mostly work itself out. But this is a different situation and the solution may not come so easily this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies