Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 06:27 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,662 times

Advertisements

I am very patriotic but it seems that some americans take patriotism so far that it ruins it for everyone. At the same time, I understand the climate that we are in. I just think that we need to employ and direct are hard patriotic stances under more appropriate settings- not a local high school basketball game. (watch video)

Valley defends USA-themed student section after criticism

So, I was having this conversation this morning and I realized that the conversation evolved so much. At first, you would be upset at the school for being offended by others wearing american themed colors. And, if you rely on MSM or take hard stances, you probably would not come to reason. I will say that I am a very reasonable person and don't take hard stances on anything, if provided with good reason.

To condense it all, apparently one student/fan body wore american themed colors during a basketball game, while the opposing team wore their own school colors. The other team, North, is apparently very diverse with many refugees. As for me, I don't see anything wrong with wearing american themed colors. But if you think for a moment, why would anyone go out of their way to be all decked out in American attire and wave a huge flag- especially at a local High School game?

Like I said, I am very patriotic but it seems that some americans take this ish so far that it ruins it for everyone. Now, because of them going so overboard, gives the unpatriotic ones reason to shut everything down.

But my point is, why TF do you need to be waiving huge american flags at a local high school game for... I would understand if it was USA vs another team. We need to be more strategic in our patriotism...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 06:29 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Why do you hate America?

Old 03-11-2017, 06:32 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
I am very patriotic but it seems that some americans take patriotism so far that it ruins it for everyone.
Well, some people are just obnoxious by nature and the flag is just another prop.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:32 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,222,313 times
Why are black American kids complaining about a USA theme?

Old 03-11-2017, 06:36 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
It sounds like the kids had a themed night - quite common in high school activities - that the other side took offense to because they selfishly thought it was about them and they were being mocked for being diverse (yet no less American, America is very diverse ). I don't see what their issue is and I don't see yours either.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:37 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
So, let's see here. It had been a standing tradition that has occurred when they have played other teams; however, since this opponent was "diverse", they should change their tradition?

Old 03-11-2017, 06:38 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
From your own source referenced above, OP:

But the tradition, Valley fans said, is nothing new.

“We had a USA theme, which we’ve done many times in the past,” Valley freshman Dayna Dunnwald said. “It’s really sad, and I hope everyone can resolve it in the end because no one at Valley meant it in that way. And it was just for fun.”

A letter written by Valley student council leaders was hand-delivered to North’s principal, saying in part: “We are deeply sorry if we have offended anyone in any way. We have traditionally dressed in such a fashion for great games such as the one last night. Everyone here at Valley has immense respect not only for your team and players but for your community as a whole.”

Doesn't sound like students dressing in USA themed attire was new or in any way meant to demean the opposing team. It was tradition at that school. Why should students feel badly about this tradition? This is a non-story used by the perpetually offended, who try daily to diminish America, our flag, and stir the ****.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:39 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,222,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, let's see here. It had been a standing tradition that has occurred when they have played other teams; however, since this opponent was "diverse", they should change their tradition?
It sounds to me like the diverse kids need to embrace their new country like European immigrants of the past always did.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:43 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
i think wearing the flag is a good thing, I dont think it disrespect the flag any more than anything else because i believe it gives it more respect. The clothes was never the flag to begin with, it was cloth that looks in the same pattern as the flag. If the clothes was made out of an actual flag it be a different story. dont they same imitation is the best form of flattery.

If i could get all these left wing liberals to shut the hell up. I would be wearing a flag shirt or shorts too.

wearing the flag is not doing any damage to anybody but those that get upset over the minor deal. And now for the liberals that will claim that some fought and died over the flag, the clothes are not the flag and never was, you got to seperate that, the clothes are honoring the flag.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:44 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
It sounds to me like the diverse kids need to embrace their new country like European immigrants of the past always did.
I certainly hope the NFL embraces this issue and demands that the Union Jack isn't displayed by those racists in England when there is another football game played over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies