Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 07:24 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
How could the Republicans possibly have done anything to 'refuse to make it work.' It was written (all 2700+ pages) by Democrats. The legislation was entirely controlled by Democrats. It was enacted and was (still is) the law of the land. Implementation was controlled by the executive branch, and by Obama's HHS secretary, both Democrats.

I will say that I am not optimistic about Republican prospects to replace it with something better.
They fought against the very idea of a national healthcare program. Their mistake was just like the south's fight against the idea that slavery would end one day and they are forever remembered as the ones on the wrong side of history. They also underestimated how many democrats would fall on their swords to see it passed. They gambled to early that it wouldn't pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 08:01 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
The problem with Obamacare is that the problems haven't really started yet. People covered through their employer don't how ridiculous the premiums and the deductibles are for those who have to pay for their own coverage (and it's going to keep getting worse, not better). The other problem is, it's not getting funded. The individual mandate penalty is only a small part of the funding. There's suppose to be a small business penalty (which keeps getting postponed) and they're suppose find 500 billion in Medicare fraud (that I've heard nothing about). How are they subsidizing all the low income people.

The budget office calculated it would reduce the deficit....that's if it all went as planned. That hasn't even come close to happening. Do you think they anticipated all big rate increases the premiums would have (some of which the feds have to subsidize for low income people)? Do you think they accounted for the small business mandate penalty not being collected so far? As long as all the revenue is not being collected yet, they don't have to announce it's cost so far (which has got to be a big negative number by now).

The truth is, either way it's negative......whether people will understand that is another thing. The idea is to stop the future disaster Obamacare has in store for us.....unfortunately I think the new plan is a future disaster too (much shorter term future though). What we're going to end up with is the whole country being fooled into taking sides, when neither side fixed it or has a working plan to fix it.
I know how much my employer's pay for healthcare because I pay 20% of it. . How on earth did you make up a stupid claim like that?

Old 03-12-2017, 06:07 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It will not be remembered well by anyone who was self employed and had to actually pay the high cost.

That's because it was done wrong.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:22 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,434,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I know how much my employer's pay for healthcare because I pay 20% of it. . How on earth did you make up a stupid claim like that?
I'm talking about Obamacare for those not insured through their employer...I didn't say anything about group health insurance through an employer or it's cost....other than they don't realize what the cost is for those going through Obamacare (or the deductibles).

What are you talking about? I was a isurance broker for 15 years..all I sold was health insurance.

Last edited by Danno3314; 03-15-2017 at 11:32 AM..

Old 03-15-2017, 10:32 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Short term -- by some yes by others no.

Long term -- Depends on how both parties move forward. It is not perfect and needs to be fixed......not shifting to different people get screwed -- fixed so we all have a basic decent standard of minimum health care instead of the best of the best being offered only to the rich. (If I hear one more time how the USA has the best health care in the world I will scream --- what good is it if only 1% of the population can access it).

Old 03-15-2017, 10:48 AM

3,356 posts, read 1,232,088 times
Darn tootin' it will be remembered positively as just the beginning of healthcare for all.
I hope I live long enough to see it happen for my children and grand babies.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:57 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
It will not be remembered well by anyone who was self employed and had to actually pay the high cost.
BS. I'm self-employed and I have insurance now due to the ACA after going without for a decade. If you think $144 a month, which is what I pay for my insurance now, is too much then you should research what someone who is self-employed was paying for their own insurance before the ACA. When I finally dropped out of the market my monthly premium had risen to over $800 a month.

The ACA will be remembered positively by everyone who was able to see a doctor for the first time in years because of the ACA, and there are many millions of us who this is true for. To say nothing of the many millions more who qualified for expanded Medicaid.

The GOP owns healthcare now. If the ACA goes down on their watch, guess who will get the blame?

Old 03-15-2017, 11:42 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Except for those, like my boyfriend, who were finally able to start small businesses because preexisting conditions would have made that impossible before the ACA. He now employs close to 20 people, including his parents who were laid off in their late 50s and likely would have resorted to the government dole, in a part of the rust belt where jobs are scarce.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:44 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
I'm talking about Obamacare for those not insured through their employer...I didn't say anything about group health insurance through an employer or it's cost....other than they don't realize what the cost is for those going through Obamacare (or the deductibles).

What are you talking about? I was a isurance broker for 15 years..all I sold was health insurance.
Not what you wrote in your post. Go back and read it.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:41 PM

381 posts, read 642,323 times
I think Obamacare succeeded in ending lifetime caps and providing access to insurance for those with pre-existing conditions. No one should be forced into bankruptcy due to a major illness.

What upsets me is why can't Medicare negotiate prescription drug prices? That a huge one that needs fixed.

Why do we allow for profit healthcare? The entire concept seems flawed. Not saying the government is always the answer, but I'm not sure the 'free market' always makes consumers a priority. Heck, the insurance companies have 20% overhead. Seems to me that hospitals should all be not for profit.

The Republicans talk about buying insurance across state lines, but what about also being able to use that insurance in another state where the costs would be lower?

I'm skeptical about the Republican plan. It's going to have to include all the 'good' parts of Obamacare before I support it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies