Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 06:44 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Problem is the false stories about corporate wellness programs. They were and are voluntary. Their are discounts and coupons offered. They are also there for employee's not for people looking for work at the company. This will set up a data base which will be used to keep people from being hired.
When you are faced with either complying or paying more, they are not strictly voluntary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 06:55 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,114 times
I guess it's time to consider the color of our skin as a pre-existing condition.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:38 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
What about the HIPPA Laws? Employers are not entitled to know the specifics of your medical history. Example: I had to have my kidney removed. I went to HR and put in for the FMLA. I would be out 4 months. The HR dept., nor my supervisor could ask what was wrong with me, only that I requested an FMLA for medical leave. Not sure who way up high could know but I did have to fill out forms to give the barest of information. Would I be out of work for XX amount of weeks? When would I be returning? The employer was quite limited in what he could ask me, and they never did come out and say, "What is medically wrong with you that you need 4 months off?"

So this information seems private, regarding your "genetic spectrum." Unless I am not hearing all the facts. I would need to know more here to understand what they are asking.
The employer knows exactly why you are out. They have the medical information that states why you are on FMLA. I have done it twice, the forms are federal so everyone gets the same ones. It says right on the part of the FMLA application that the doctor fills out why you are on it with a DSM code of your illness.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:04 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Government collects info on us - bad

Private sector collects info on us - good
Good? Nah, but avoidable. The private sector doesn't have jail and guns to force compliance.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:13 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
When you are faced with either complying or paying more, they are not strictly voluntary.
Agreed. It's one of the reasons I support moving medical care coverage away from employers. I just want to log into my computer, write some code for 7-8 hours. Then leave. All of the other fluffy bunny stuff just distracts me from doing something I enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No one is forced to take a job with a company that demands your genetic info.
Eh, nobody is forced to... but it's still a policy that takes advantage of people willing to accept any job as long as it can help keep a roof over their heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I'm curious to know if conservatives and liberals here in C-D will divide along similar party lines. And would Trump-supporters favor this bill? Or will there be a division between the Trump Republicans and the mainstream congressional Republicans?
Social liberal here. This bill is stupid and wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Who wants to do what now? So when the progressive left does it no problem, when the progrerssive right does it, it's a problem.
On one hand, I could point out the difference between choosing to smokes versus the lack of choice in what your genetics say... but either way, mandatory "health" awareness program participation (whether by law or penalties) is not acceptable.

When it was brought up during the ACA amendment period, the concept of penalties and fines for not participating even just for smoking, weight loss, etc... were not favorable to me. Pretty much saw the genetic aspect of it coming into question as technology and genetic testing became cheaper, faster, and more accurate.

Anyone who supports this bill or shirks it off as "you're not being forced..." should absolutely see GATTACA.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:17 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Good? Nah, but avoidable. The private sector doesn't have jail and guns to force compliance.
No, they just have your livelihood in their hands.

If insurance companies decide to demand this info (and they've been after it for some time), it won't matter what your employer thinks.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Eh, nobody is forced to... but it's still a policy that takes advantage of people willing to accept any job as long as it can help keep a roof over their heads.
You aren't entitled to a job or a roof.

How do you feel about govt data collection/ spying?

Old 03-13-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No, they just have your livelihood in their hands.

If insurance companies decide to demand this info (and they've been after it for some time), it won't matter what your employer thinks.
Maybe it's different for you, but I'm in control of my livelihood.
Insurance co's only have clout thanks to the governments laws that empower them.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:41 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
You aren't entitled to a job or a roof.
A job, no. Nobody is entitled to a job.

But a roof I feel differently on. It's why I support programs to reduce homelessness, especially for veterans and children. Housing, clean food/water, medical care for all. Education for children. I don't think any of those should be considered privileges in a first world country.

Quote:
How do you feel about govt data collection/ spying?
On people who are under zero suspicion of illegal activities? I don't like it.

As part of the vetting process for refugees? As part of an investigation into criminal activity? I don't see why they wouldn't have a database set up.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
They can't even have my DNA when I'm dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies