Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 10:40 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Personally, I would like to know my genetic profile, and I'm not paranoid (perhaps not paranoid enough?) about my employer having this info, but I would be deeply annoyed if my employer and/or the government used this information to justify making me pay more for insurance, or justify not giving me insurance coverage, etc.

Incentives would be ok. E.g., based on your genetic info, we will give you a tax deduction or a work-place bonus if you enroll in program X because program X is designed to help your particular genetic problem, but penalties, forced compliance, higher insurance rates, exemption from insurance coverage, etc., would be nightmarish - and that's were I am afraid this type of bill could lead. All things considered, I think it is definitely better to not force anyone to do genetic testing or reveal their test results.
It doesn't matter what you think it will be used for now, info like this has the potential to be twisted to fulfill an agenda. Who knows if there is a homosexual gene, or a gene for Republicans/Democrats, or a gene for people who dislike presidents with orange hair. If those genes are discovered and you have agreed to let people "screen" you based on your genes, you are opening up a huge possibility of discrimination.

It is ironic that Pubs, the party that is supposed to really value individual rights and freedom from government oversight, is letting a system evolve that would snoop around in our innards to figure out if someone is legitimate in their eyes or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 11:25 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
It doesn't matter what you think it will be used for now, info like this has the potential to be twisted to fulfill an agenda. Who knows if there is a homosexual gene, or a gene for Republicans/Democrats, or a gene for people who dislike presidents with orange hair. If those genes are discovered and you have agreed to let people "screen" you based on your genes, you are opening up a huge possibility of discrimination.

It is ironic that Pubs, the party that is supposed to really value individual rights and freedom from government oversight, is letting a system evolve that would snoop around in our innards to figure out if someone is legitimate in their eyes or not.
Intrusive government is only bad when the other side does it. They are sleazy, no doubt.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:07 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Employers want to know if you have genes that could lead to a serious illness. Hiring people with pre-known health conditions could increase their health insurance costs. So they want to know ahead of time not to hire such people.
Are you defending the option of denying someone a job because they picked parents with bad genes?

Old 03-15-2017, 04:36 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Are you defending the option of denying someone a job because they picked parents with bad genes?
One might argue that Steve Jobs perhaps had bad genes. One would have to consider the wisdom of turning him away if he applied for a job with you but this is what some are wondering.

Dick Cheney had bad genes but unfortunately he is going to live forever.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:05 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
One might argue that Steve Jobs perhaps had bad genes. One would have to consider the wisdom of turning him away if he applied for a job with you but this is what some are wondering.

Dick Cheney had bad genes but unfortunately he is going to live forever.
It's interesting to think about where this could possibly lead, if it becomes a reality. Employers would be able to screen out people who they believe would *might* increase health care costs, leaving people who might inherit certain illnesses unemployed. What happens to those people then? If they apply for government assistance, the same geniuses who advocate this kind of overreach by employers will probably tell them, with characteristic compassion, to get a job, nevermind the fact that this policy just made it impossible.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:11 AM

1,302 posts, read 683,669 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC6ZA1dFkVk

Old 03-15-2017, 10:03 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
It's interesting to think about where this could possibly lead, if it becomes a reality. Employers would be able to screen out people who they believe would *might* increase health care costs, leaving people who might inherit certain illnesses unemployed. What happens to those people then? If they apply for government assistance, the same geniuses who advocate this kind of overreach by employers will probably tell them, with characteristic compassion, to get a job, nevermind the fact that this policy just made it impossible.
Pretty much.......the crazy part is this makes sense to some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies