Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 10:40 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Define "college expenses," though.

Tuition, books, fees, living expenses, transporation, food...

You need all that.

So, by that rationale, students can buy cars with student loan money.

The feds will all but leave a borrower homeless to get their money from students.
All these same arguments came up when PC's were starting to get common and kids needed then for college ,using loan money on a PC in the late 90's early 2000's and it was $1000 for a computer..it was a wast kids don't need it, the school should give it to them,we didn't need a computer when I went to school,..all the same stupid arguments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 10:41 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
In Northern Virginia the Asians are spending it on cosmetic surgery.

Seriously , this thread is a joke.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:43 AM

4,960 posts, read 2,237,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Define "college expenses," though.

Tuition, books, fees, living expenses, transporation, food...

You need all that.

So, by that rationale, students can buy cars with student loan money.

The feds will all but leave a borrower homeless to get their money from students.
Even if I were to accept your premise, which I do not, spring break is no a college expense that listed above.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:45 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,076 times
I knew someone back in college who spent his student loans on junk bonds from the RJR Nabisco deal. He had paid his tuition some other way, and the loans were "excess" credits on the registrar's books. These bonds paid something like 16% and the student loan debt rate was 4%.

I thought it was massively creative, even though a violation of the intent if not the letter of the student loan program. This guy was disciplined with money, and he essentially made a 12% net gain for many years at taxpayer expense.

The bonds were eventually called (principal paid) -- the company never defaulted despite those high rates. The whole experience taught me how cigarettes and junk food were surprisingly durable investments.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:27 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
This is nothing new. People did it when I went to college years ago.
Me too. I always thought it was so stupid and short-sighted.

My parents paid for me to go to college and I never went anywhere for spring break. I don't regret it now either.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:28 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Kids don't have it as easy as you did still no proof all the kids are spending the money on spring break ,more Trumpette fake news.
i survived on pinto beans and cheap beer with no spring breaks and held down a full time job while also going to school full time, but they don't have it as easy as me because they have to pay back their expensive student loans that they used to go on fun spring breaks?

all righty then

Old 03-13-2017, 11:34 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
I was friends with guys who's parents paid their tuition and room and gave them an allowance, but they took out a 4 grand student loan to party with and go on trips.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:20 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I am sure the spring breaks of the 1980s were much more basic then today. I have seem videos of Spring Breaks from the 1980s online and it is basically people driving a car to the beach a few days, sitting on the water and having a cold ones out of cooler.
I spent my Spring Breaks (which ended in the earlier part of that era ) skiing...Aspen + Snowmass, Vail + Beaver Creek, and Jackson Hole. As Happiness-is-close suggested in this thread, Spring Break trips can be dirt cheap....and ours were. The ski club at my alma mater was the largest social organization on campus (larger than any fraternity or sorority). The club officers were masters at scoring fantastic deals (I'm sure the volume of business helped quite a bit). We took buses to these resorts (leaving from California) rather than flying or driving cars.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:23 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the word 'hopeful' is not in the question that was asked:

produce your own poll that says something different. otherwise, you've got squat.
You're getting your own links mixed up. The one with "hopeful" in the headline (1000 polled) says only a quarter of those polled expect student loans will be forgiven.

So is it 25% or 50% then? I don't need to do anything except expose those links and polls as crap.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:29 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
These snowflakes spend the loan money on Fun-Fun-Fun because they believe it's "FREE".
They don't think they will ever have to pay that money back - Clinton and Bernie told them it's "FREE".

The parents of the snowflakes don't care - they didn't care enough to bother to save for their kid's education and they don't care now that those same kids spend their time on 'social justice' and tantrums instead of degrees that will help them get decent jobs.
Why should the parents pay for college education? That's a relatively new concept. Are you a gen x parent? My parents told me if I wanted to go to school, I'd have to pay for it. So I got grants & loans, I didn't expect mom & dad to pony up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies