Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 08:16 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times

Advertisements

I watched the CBS morning show every morning, they had less chit chat than the other shows. I had more time for morning news than evening.

On their election night coverage, Charlie Rose and Nora O'Donnell were barely holding it together and Frank Luntz totally lost it realizing he was screwed by his blind belief in his focus groups. Gail King, whom I had thought as a mismatch and got the job because of her Oprah connection, was the only one on the team even capable of asking questions without the look of being in shell shock. I realized I had sadly misjudged her, she was the only one capable of functioning that evening.

Seeing them that night ruined the show for me, I won't watch them anymore. Their thin veneer of being unbiased broke and I was disillusioned, my fault really to not have seen it before.

I read online news sources now and would rather watch ME TV reruns than turn on any network or cable news.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-12-2017 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 08:37 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
PBS, Reuters, AP, NPR - news only, no opinion shows on PBS and NPR.

I also enjoy watching the round tables on Face the Nation and such.
The above plus BBC World Service.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Fox & Drudge are the sources I rely on. I read CNN to see what Fake News is in play. I read The Daily Mail for entertainment.
Perfect evidence that folks want boutique news.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:16 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post

... My husband thinks the Economist is getting very liberal though, unlike the old days.

Maybe your husband is getting more conservative ...

Old 03-12-2017, 09:25 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I can't help you. My TV will only get FOX News and FOX Business News.
Buy a better TV, because that's sad.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:31 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Some are certainly better than others, but knowing no news is totally objective, I've always made it a point to watch liberal and conservative media, along with major networks. But it's reached the point that CNN, Fox News, MSNBC anchors and guests are so dominated with hyperbole and predictable partisanship that I can't watch them - for now at least. There's nothing to learn there! They just pander to folks who want nothing more than to reinforce what they already believe.

ABC, NBC & CBS are more neutral, but not totally, and they don't offer news 24/7 - thank goodness. Turns out 24/7 news was/is a bad idea IMO.

Needless to say I don't watch or listen to any of the many obviously opinion or biased sources and their blissfully ignorant audiences (both sides). Also in existence only to pander to folks who want nothing more than to reinforce what they already believe.

So my news MO now is tune out Trump where possible (even though I'm a lifelong center right conservative), focus more on what actually happens instead of hollow words, and watch sources that try to remain neutral or openly provide both sides views.
  • PBS Evening News tries to be neutral, though PBS often goes (way) left in some other programming.
  • The Charlie Rose show seems to offer both sides views on political issues, usually without dwelling on the hyperbole or Trump shooting himself in the foot every other day.
Are there other balanced or neutral sources with reasoned, thoughtful reporting in these days of proliferating fake news?

Ask yourself this one question. Do you think there is some massive conspiracy to undermine Donald Trump, or, maybe these news organizations are simply calling it as they see it ? No rational person could report the goofy things Trump does and make them look sane. You see it as biased, but, in fact, they are simply befuddled by the things this clown does and the many lies he tells, so they have to tell us the truth.

I realize trying to talk sense to a Trumpee is useless, but it is impossible to sit back and see the dumb stuff you guys post without commenting. I can not wait until he is removed from office.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:26 PM

30,170 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ask yourself this one question. Do you think there is some massive conspiracy to undermine Donald Trump, or, maybe these news organizations are simply calling it as they see it ? No rational person could report the goofy things Trump does and make them look sane. You see it as biased, but, in fact, they are simply befuddled by the things this clown does and the many lies he tells, so they have to tell us the truth.

I realize trying to talk sense to a Trumpee is useless, but it is impossible to sit back and see the dumb stuff you guys post without commenting. I can not wait until he is removed from office.
There has been a concerted effort by the liberal media since Trump won to delegitimize his win. It started with continually pointing out the popular vote as if that mattered at all. Then there was the recount by Jill Stein and then the effort to sway electors. There was constant coverage of this. I really doubt if Hillary had won in the way Trump did that the MSM would take Trump's efforts to overturn the election with the seriousness that they did for the democrats.

So to say a conspiracy? The DNC emails proved that the MSM got their talking points from the DNC. I would bet that is still going on right now. I am sure the goal is to try to get something to stick and either force Trump out or weaken his ability to govern. Should that be the goal of the media to create news or sway events? Because that is what they are trying to do. And the leaks. Conversations that were illegal to record in the first place are given to news organizations. Call it deep state or a conspiracy or whatever you want but to me it is treasonous to covertly try to destabilize a sitting president and harm the United States. But the MSM has shown little interest in this subject.

Last week I happened to be somewhere that had the CBS evening news on. It was the day that the GOP rolled out the Obamacare replacement and Trump announced the new travel ban. Two big stories that could actually effect lots of people. But the lead story that went on for quite a while? Trump's tweet from the previous Saturday about Obama.

As far as how news should be reported. No they should not call it as they see it, but call it as it is. Two very different angles when you have a strong bias. That is news reporting. The Sunday morning news shows, CNN, FOX NEWS and MSNBC that have the round-table discussions or even talk radio that's where the talking heads can call it as they see it and debate the issues.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:30 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
BBC news for me.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:42 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
I will read the headlines on Drudge, and then go to my favorite youtubers for critical and hard hitting analysis. Those include:

STYXHEXENHAMMER666

ANTHONY BRIAN LOGAN

MATT CHRISTANSEN (aka SKAGGY 3)

NAKED APE

Old 03-12-2017, 11:42 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Maybe your husband is getting more conservative ...
No, it predicted Kasick was the man for President. You don't pay money to read that kind of crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies