Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 05:55 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,714,341 times

Advertisements

Well you learn something new everyday.

I had no idea the rhyme was considered racist until I did a bit of reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eeny,_meeny,_miny,_moe

From what I understand, the rhyme itself has had variations of it in many different cultures, and the use of it in the U.S. originally had no racist undertones behind it. What did appear to happen was that someone used a racial slur in one of the lines of the rhyme at one point. But the rhyme itself was never based on any sort of racist origins.

So how can it be considered 'racist?'

Backlash after Primark pulls 'fantastically offensive' Walking Dead T-shirt - BBC Newsbeat

Quote:
Primark has stopped selling a T-shirt featuring words from a nursery rhyme after a shopper complained that it was "fantastically offensive".

But now there's a backlash on social media, with some complaining it's an example of customers being "over-sensitive".

The T-shirt in question is licensed merchandise from The Walking Dead.

It features the rhyme "eeny meeny miny moe", which has a racist origin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 07:54 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,773,631 times
The Walking Dead is so violent and gruesome it would have gotten an "X" rating if it had been shown in movie theatres in the '70s. But it's controversial now because one of the characters said "eeny, meeny..."
Times have certainly changed.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:57 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,645,838 times
It was used in a racist way right up to the 90s.... I know because I could hear the local kids using it......

Old 02-22-2017, 08:03 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,773,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
It was used in a racist way right up to the 90s.... I know because I could hear the local kids using it......
I heard the "catch a tiger" version many times growing up and never knew there was another version 'till I saw it on the internet.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:09 PM

20,104 posts, read 20,915,876 times
For the love of god somebody please kill me. I can't take this ridiculousness anymore.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:12 PM

1,744 posts, read 962,194 times
I don't ever remember either of my parents using the "N" word growing up, but as a kid, someone taught me "eenie, meeny, miny, moe" using the "N" word. That's all I heard for a number of years. When I found out that the "N" word was considered highly offensive, I was embarassed. So yes, I do believe it was commonly used.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:18 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,888,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
For the love of god somebody please kill me. I can't take this ridiculousness anymore.
i tried once, had you in my cross hairs, but for some reason i missed. never went back, couldnt take the chance.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:07 AM

20,104 posts, read 20,915,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i tried once, had you in my cross hairs, but for some reason i missed. never went back, couldnt take the chance.
Try again. I'll give you 20 bucks.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:09 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,128,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I hear the same word virtually every day in hip hop music by, for and about the same people who are pretending it is offensive.

They obviously don't really find the word offensive--they love it an try to use it constantly in casual conversation!

Time for America to grow up. If the word is so offensive that we have to be afraid of it even when it is not being spoken, it cannot simultaneoulsy be the favorite word of those who pretend to offense, or else we have to ignore their complaints as another example of faux outrange, crying wolf, and gaining power by being a victim.

As for the Walking Dead, it was once the greatest show in television history, and now has jumped the shark badly.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:29 AM

26,557 posts, read 15,127,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I don't ever remember either of my parents using the "N" word growing up, but as a kid, someone taught me "eenie, meeny, miny, moe" using the "N" word. That's all I heard for a number of years. When I found out that the "N" word was considered highly offensive, I was embarassed. So yes, I do believe it was commonly used.
This is literally the first time I have ever heard that this kids rhyme was ever used that way.

Where did you grow up if you don't mind me asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies