Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 08:51 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,070 times

Advertisements

My Senators and Reps are choosing them for invited guests.
Can you imagine what ire this would have drawn from the Tea Party a few years back?
What cowards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 09:20 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Can you imagine what ire this would have drawn from the Tea Party a few years back?
What cowards.

My representative has done this for years and as far as I have seen, it was never by special invite only. It makes it easier to get to more people at once (in several tele-conferences) without having to travel all over the State. It also allows people to more easily choose which tele-conference one wants to attend based upon their individual scheduling needs. The rep or senator can also do very fast polls over the phone where each attendee can choose a pre-selected number to voice an opinion as well as giving people the opportunity to voice their opinion in a short time frame.

My only wish is that they would video conference but I am aware many people don't have the needed computer equipment, isp bandwidth and some may not have internet at all.

Personally, I view this as a good thing especially since it appears more people attend these tele-conferences.

But that's just my opinion.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:24 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
My rep is having one meeting a month, each held in different areas of his district.

It's his first term and I'm very pleased with how responsive he's been. Hope it continues!

Old 03-13-2017, 09:59 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
What cowards.
My sentiments exactly. Cowards indeed.

These are not Town Halls, they are conference calls. Clearly these are not to listen to the constituents, they are just commercials for a pre-determined point of view.

The politicians who resort to this tactic are no longer exposing themselves to their own constituents, and will not be responsive to them. This will strengthen the influence of lobbyists and PACs and alienate the general public.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:03 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
My guy in NC 8 has them and picks which questions they want to address. Total waste of time for the voter.

Tried it and question was never answered.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:11 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
It's a great way for the reps to distance themselves from their constituents while still making it seem like they are listening to them. Unless the callers are allowed to ask questions without being screened or silenced, these are worthless. Like one poster said up thread, they become infomercials for the rep. Useless to a constituent who has a real issue they want to address if it's an issue the rep doesn't want to talk about.

There should be a law that states an elected official has to hold a certain number of face-to-face meetings with their constituents. Too many of these reps go to Washington and forget who they work for. They need to be reminded in an up close and personal forum on a regular basis.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:14 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
What cowards.
You know, a lot of people, especially old people, hear "conference call" and it scares them. They never worked in an office setting. Some of them may have never worked before. Some of the older ones retired before computers became common in the workforce (some I think retired because of computers introduced into the work environment) and anything to do with technology, they steer clear of. Just saying, that a "conference call" will leave many constituents out.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:59 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times
I just had the opportunity to participate in another tele-conference town hall styled meeting (it is still going on as I am typing), and as usual, was allowed to voice my opinions. I chose two topics and took less than 1/4 of the time I was allowed to speak. Everyone was able to hear my comments and everyone was also allowed to comment, as long as they had polite enough comments or questions to get past the basic call screener. Basically that means if someone started cussing or acting inappropriately, they wouldn't make it through the call screener.

Again, to me, these tele-conference town hall meetings work.

My best guess is the people opposing these intentionally want to disrupt the town hall process. I believe any opposition to this is based on people believing their "free speech" is denied if they cannot disrupt a town hall meeting.

Just my thoughts.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:29 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
It's a great way for the reps to distance themselves from their constituents while still making it seem like they are listening to them. Unless the callers are allowed to ask questions without being screened or silenced, these are worthless. Like one poster said up thread, they become infomercials for the rep. Useless to a constituent who has a real issue they want to address if it's an issue the rep doesn't want to talk about.

There should be a law that states an elected official has to hold a certain number of face-to-face meetings with their constituents. Too many of these reps go to Washington and forget who they work for. They need to be reminded in an up close and personal forum on a regular basis.
Agreed. Reps should have face-to-face meetings with their constituents. Look them in the eye and tell them exactly how they will vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies