Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 01:36 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Advertisements

straight welfare no- disabilities and benes to go with it-- yes-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 01:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by want to learn View Post
SO, yes, I guess living on Vets or Social Security Disability would count as living on welfare. I suspect that most of the people on disability would get food stamps and be eligible for Section 8 housing. So they maybe set for life.

(The reason for my question is I was wondering if my 43 year old cousin who hates to work could actually just stop working and go on welfare because he has no money or job. He is single, childless and has no physical or mental problems other than severe lazyness. Bottom line: Is it possible for someone who is childless and does not suffer from a mental or physical disability to just go on welfare and live their own version of the good life? FREE OF WORK!)
I don't see how, frankly.

My brother had to try three times for his disability. The third time worked because he found an attorney (or rather, someone involved in his case found an attorney for him). The required documentation is voluminous, and he is reevaluated periodically, until he is old enough to collect regular SS. He requires help to get this mass of paperwork together.

My brother does get a housing subsidy through his city, I believe under Section 8. He lives in an old motel which was purchased and remodeled for the purpose. I would estimate his space is about 10x20, including bathroom. He has no kitchen (a good thing - he can't cook beyond a microwave anyway), there is a common dining room where people eat. Since most of the people living in this place have brain damage or brain misfunctions of some sort, kitchens in the units would be dangerous for everyone.

If you think this qualifies as being "set for life" - well, OK. It is certainly not my brother's idea of being set, but he has little choice. We're extremely grateful that we found a place for him where he does not have to share a room with a an ex-drug addict. He would be raw meat for someone like that.

Last edited by jacqueg; 03-13-2017 at 01:54 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 1,219 times
I do, my neighbor who lives next door gets section 8 housing for her and her 3 kids. She's doing "job training".....basically what that means, is she has no job skills so she goes and gets training at a job and then at the end of her job training (4-8months) they hire her, which she never lasts more than a month. Then she decides she wants to go back to school and "finally" complete her GED, she does that about for 3 months and then decides school isn't for her after all and goes back to "job training". In the mean while the county pays for her 3 childrens daily daycare costs, medical and she receives WIC and EBT..... It a fricken game that she has been playing. Oh and the babies daddy, he lives there and keeps getting her pregnant... but she lies and says he's not in their lives. He works and they both drive 2010 and 2012 cars and they go to Disneyland for each child's birthday... Do you know how many women do this.... to many to count, they teach each other how to scam the system. I can't wait till Trump starts cutting entitlement programs.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:44 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
I am thinking a single childless, able bodied person without a disability might only qualify for food stamps (under $200/mo) and that might be time limited and requires a minimum number of volunteer work hours each month or be enrolled in a qualified training program.

In my state, when someone that's able bodied and childess goes for help at social service orgs, they are required to apply for work and they are given help applying for jobs. If the people are looking for a place to live or money for a place to live, they are given a tent and sleeping bag and told about wooded areas to go camp. They get help with filling out forms for food stamps but they are first required to register for state sponsored job search web sites.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:50 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Quote:
(The reason for my question is I was wondering if my 43 year old cousin who hates to work could actually just stop working and go on welfare because he has no money or job. He is single, childless and has no physical or mental problems other than severe lazyness. Bottom line: Is it possible for someone who is childless and does not suffer from a mental or physical disability to just go on welfare and live their own version of the good life? FREE OF WORK!)
Depends on what state, here in Ohio your cuz would have no cash benefit but would get medicaid , 200 bucks on a food card and a Obama phone. Basically cuz would at least have to find someones basement to crash in but he could make it.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:53 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
SO, yes, I guess living on Vets or Social Security Disability would count as living on welfare. I suspect that most of the people on disability would get food stamps and be eligible for Section 8 housing. So they maybe set for life.

Probably not in the case of your cousin.

I know people living or who have lived on welfare, single mothers who cant seem to hold a job and those who have a "disability". As in "disability", they are young and able bodied but they have a "bad back" or some type of "mental disorder" or addiction. Some of these "disabled" have worked or are working sometimes under the table.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:54 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
I don't. The myth that people on welfare like being on it is silly. It is not a life of luxury, escalades, and lobster. Sure there are people that use welfare to supplement what little income they make but they at least work to some degree and those people generally do what they can to get off of welfare and many welfare systems have things in place to get people off of it, as a few of you have already stated.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:03 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I don't see how, frankly.

My brother had to try three times for his disability. The third time worked because he found an attorney (or rather, someone involved in his case found an attorney for him). The required documentation is voluminous, and he is reevaluated periodically, until he is old enough to collect regular SS. He requires help to get this mass of paperwork together.

My brother does get a housing subsidy through his city, I believe under Section 8. He lives in an old motel which was purchased and remodeled for the purpose. I would estimate his space is about 10x20, including bathroom. He has no kitchen (a good thing - he can't cook beyond a microwave anyway), there is a common dining room where people eat. Since most of the people living in this place have brain damage or brain misfunctions of some sort, kitchens in the units would be dangerous for everyone.

If you think this qualifies as being "set for life" - well, OK. It is certainly not my brother's idea of being set, but he has little choice. We're extremely grateful that we found a place for him where he does not have to share a room with a an ex-drug addict. He would be raw meat for someone like that.

People on welfare don't think outside their world. Most people living a better life are doing it on borrowed money and have to work to pay the debt.

No one is promised the life of luxury on welfare. That housing subsidy you talk about? Others have to work for every penny that comes into their house to pay the mortgage.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:06 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
I don't. The myth that people on welfare like being on it is silly. It is not a life of luxury, escalades, and lobster. Sure there are people that use welfare to supplement what little income they make but they at least work to some degree and those people generally do what they can to get off of welfare and many welfare systems have things in place to get people off of it, as a few of you have already stated.
No they don't. The way the welfare system is set up it encourages people to only work as much as they are required to so they are not booted off and not too much where they lose benefits, in other words it keeps them trapped in the system and abusing the tax payer who pays for "everything" they need.

Welfare is meant for people who are not able to work, not for able bodied people who's culture and upbringing does not teach them better, some, even keep having babies they can't afford so we the tax payer are forced to pay for them.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:12 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
People on welfare don't stop to consider that people living a better life are most likely doing it on borrowed money and working for every to pay the debt.

No one is promised the life of luxury on welfare. That housing subsidy you talk about? Others have to work for every penny that comes into their house to pay the mortgage.
My brother would love to work full-time. It's not his fault he was born on the spectrum. He's had many jobs, but can't keep them because he just does not understand how to get along with people and he cannot conform his behavior to an employer's expectations. It's not that he doesn't try - it's that he can't. People are pretty much a complete mystery to him. He depended on my mother while she was alive.

Both my parents, when they were living, and his other siblings have always worked and have paid plenty of taxes. I don't begrudge my brother, or any of the 100 or so other people living where he lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies