Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 07:50 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,297,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Spend a few hours in a clothing-oriented distribution center, and anyone with a basic understanding of economics will recognize that American industry is simply not competitive for many apparel items, and never can be; the process itself is too labor-intensive. The proper remedy is to encourage retraining, so the displaced employees can do more stimulating work, and earn more doing it.

A certain percentage of the Trump camp simply doesn't have the economic background to recognize this -- yet; (and It's not that the would-be puppeteers of the NEA want to encourage them to do so, because they would simply lose their loyal captive embarrassment).
Almost all clothing is made in China. My wife spent her entire career in retailing as a store manager (Gen Mgr) for an upscale Southern CA department store on the order of Dillard's. Everything is made in China.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:54 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,297,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
alright, refresh our memories, how many clothing manufacturers are there in the US today? and how many of them do high end clothing? and how many of the can handle the volume required?

and then how many clothing stores are there in the US that sell US made goods?

you all keep harping on this crap like somehow the trumps are responsible for clothing being manufactured outside the US, and that somehow trump was supposed to jump in and get american manufacturing ramped up in his first day in office, and then you get pissy when that doesnt happen.
Bingo! Right on! These hockey pucks don't know what the hell they're talking about. And most of them are probably not even employed, but living in their parents basement!

Old 03-14-2017, 08:01 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,421,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You can still buy made in America if you're willing to pay for it. The problem is retailers are delivering exactly what the consumer wants. Cheap foreign goods. If you want retailers to carry goods made in America then don't buy the ones not made in America. They'll get the message really quickly.

Hey, I get that. But this thread is about Ivanka shipping in **** tons of foreign made clothing while her father is yapping about making America great again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
MAGA! Go out and support Ivanka!

The left is only interested when liberals are defended by guns and are against guns when someone else has them!

The left only cares about liberals and backing their non sense!

2017 is the end of liberals and their agenda! MAGA!

See this guy, Ivorytickler? Must hate America. He is actively encouraging people to buy foreign made goods for no other reason than she's the daughter of the President.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:04 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I hate to clue you, but she was making millions before her father decided to run. And just off "Trump supporters" which didn't exist yet
I'm just surprised anyone was buying those fugly clothes, ever.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:06 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,074 times
Why doesn't the hypocrisy surprise me? Trumps lying is at an all time high.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:29 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,906,522 times
OK - let's break down this post.

Quote:
So what? That's not proof. Why is that proof just because you say it is?
It is evidence - whether you choose to believe it exists, or not (it seems you don't), is another matter.

Are there specific points of the source material that you take issue with? Do you think they just made up a bunch of numbers and didn't actually do an analysis of the shipment data? Do you think they're just blatantly lying? If so - why?

And also if so - why would you believe anything put forth to you in regards to this matter?

It doesn't seem like you would be willing to acknowledge subsequent evidence if you have already disregarded this first batch of evidence.

Quote:
I don't believe that story.
Confirmation of my prediction.

Quote:
You don't believe the news about the "wiretapping" of Trump, even though it's all over the place.
How do you know that JAMS14 doesn't believe in the news about the "wiretapping" of Trump?

And let's be clear about that coverage - Trump is the one that made the accusation, with no evidence to back up said accusation...the coverage on that matter has basically amounted to "well, Donald...back up your claims".

Why would anyone not believe in these stories when they're just a rehash of the events?? Trump making baseless accusation with no evidence...media reporting on said tweets...media questioning the legitimacy of those accusations...

Quote:
So, why do you believe this? Why should I believe it? Show me proof!
There is evidence in the citation. You might think it's made up (which I think you do)...but it has been given to you.

If you think it is made up/fabricated, I'm not sure why one should bother working to produce more evidence for - you'd likely just disregard that evidence, too, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, though.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:32 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,906,522 times
Quote:
Bingo! Right on! These hockey pucks don't know what the hell they're talking about. And most of them are probably not even employed, but living in their parents basement!
Dude...

Come on. Just read the thread...see my post here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
If only there was a way to find this kind of information out...what a wonderful invention that would be

Let me Google that for you: american made clothing brands

Some pertinent links in case you don't want to search yourself:
15 American-Made Clothing Brands You Can Wear With Pride

16 Fashion Brands That Are Made In America And Totally Amazing | The Huffington Post

Here are 100+ brands that are 100% made in the USA | Clark Howard

American Made Apparel & Active Wear | American Giant

https://www.allamericanclothing.com/

The American List | A Continuous Lean.

7 Fashion Brands Still Made in USA

My favorite shoes (been wearing them since the 90's): Athletic Footwear & Fitness Apparel - New Balance

Nordstrom (where Ivanka Trump used to sell her products) even breaks out brands for you: made in usa | Nordstrom

If this was actually an issue that the Trump's cared about, they could have made this happen already. Or they could AT LEAST announce their intentions of moving production/some part of the process back to the USA.

So far: absolutely nothing. That is all you need to know about this family. They are just talk.

Does that mean this is the norm? Of course not.

Does it mean it is possible? You bet your butt it does.

Especially for the Trumps who have a vested interest in this kind of move. I mean, they haven't even given hints that this is something (moving production to the US) that is in their company's long-term goals, let alone something that is imminent.

And that is both telling and not shocking - but it is hypocrisy at its finest.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:07 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times
If truth, logic, and pure, empirical reason were the standards by which a rational American nation chose its leaders, neither Trump nor Clinton would have a leg to stand on. But in fairness, reason alone has never ruled, and never will; we can only hope that it will become a larger influence. The susceptibility of the low-information "swing" voter ebbs and flows -- but it has probably become a larger factor in recent years with the increasing polarization of the electorate into two evenly-matched, well-defined and ideologically-motivated, but simplistic camps; that, and the lowest-common-denominator appeals of the electronic media, and the 15-second sound byte.

The steadily increasing component of minorities was a principal factor in the election of the nation's first non-white President, and the perceived "betrayal" of the white working class was an equally-strong factor in the rejection of Hillary Clinton -- who probably lost mostly because she became perceived as just another back-room power broker. And within those two scenarios, better-educated independents (thankfully!) still held the balance of power.

But to this poster personally, the continued "refinement" of identity politics, particularly as demonstrated in California, represents the largest single threat to the traditions of American pluralism; not because of any threat to a supposed "consensus" founded upon supposed Caucasian traditions and standards, but because -- as demonstrated by the near-monopoly on power held in Mexico by the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) for nearly ninety years -- it revolves around keeping the focus of a lesser-educated lumpenproletariat upon superficial issues. Should it succeed, it will be time for us to relinquish our place as the most successful practicioners of a noble endeavor that emerged on both sides of the Atlantic about three hundred years ago.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-14-2017 at 10:42 PM..

Old 03-14-2017, 11:09 PM

1,896 posts, read 810,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Meh... There are millions of Trump supporters.
They sometimes buy what Ivanka offers for sale.

Who cares?
As long as you don't mind being a hypocrite.... because Ivanka isn't #MAGA..... Trump really wasn't #MAGA until he decided to run for president..... funny how that works.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:23 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
MAGA! Go out and support Ivanka!

The left is only interested when liberals are defended by guns and are against guns when someone else has them!

The left only cares about liberals and backing their non sense!

2017 is the end of liberals and their agenda! MAGA!

Your spin is pathetic,it has nothing to do with the post or the thread.Trump your president,Putin's president said buy American,his own daughter refuse's to listen to him,It say's volume's!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies