Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 05:46 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Trump friend and Newsmax publisher Chris Ruddy calls for Trump to ditch the Freedom Caucus and to basically fix Obamacare into a single payer system that works.

This I didn't expect.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...ruddy-medicaid

Trump Should Ditch the Freedom Caucus, Seek Bipartisan Plan
At some point, America will be on single payer just like the rest of the industrialized world has been for decades. They make it work and it works well for them. They aren't that much smarter than we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 05:50 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
At some point, America will be on single payer just like the rest of the industrialized world has been for decades. They make it work and it works well for them. They aren't that much smarter than we are.
Agreed. And if they dismantle Obamacare, which, BTW, did not go nearly far enough, the demand will probably be much louder and more immediate.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:52 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,631,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Trump friend and Newsmax publisher Chris Ruddy calls for Trump to ditch the Freedom Caucus and to basically fix Obamacare into a single payer system that works.

This I didn't expect.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...ruddy-medicaid

Trump Should Ditch the Freedom Caucus, Seek Bipartisan Plan
single payer is the obvious solution and everyone knows it. The only reason we don't have it, is because stupid short sighted Americans continue to vote for a party that hates them so much it actual wants them to die rather than help them with healthcare insurance.

think about it. Paul Ryan and Donald Trump hate lower income Americans so much they would rather tens of thousands of them DIE than help them with healthcare costs.

Now that is some eugenics level hatred.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:54 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I am a harsh critic of anything but universal health care, but I didn't get that impression. What I took away was that the savings accounts could be used as a supplement to something like Medicare or Medicaid for all.
That's how I understood it.

Not a thing wrong with HSAs, but they are a solution only for those who have sufficient income to fund them in the first place. And they're still only a supplement. People who can afford to stash $1 million in their HSA in case they get pancreatic cancer don't need an HSA in the first place. Or probably even insurance.

The heart of a universal health care system MUST be a single-payer system or a system for subsidizing private insurance premiums or some mixture. And everyone MUST participate. It cannot pencil out otherwise.

Those of you who fundamentally object to the core idea of a universal health care system - I get where you're coming from. I just disagree that we can ever go back. The pre-ACA system was making most folks unhappy, and going back to it will just remind voters of all the ways the market failed them.

I've always thought the Swiss system would be a good fit for the US. Philosophically, it's not my first choice, but I could sure live with it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Switzerland

Old 03-14-2017, 06:15 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

Not a thing wrong with HSAs, but they are a solution only for those who have sufficient income to fund them in the first place. And they're still only a supplement. People who can afford to stash $1 million in their HSA in case they get pancreatic cancer don't need an HSA in the first place. Or probably even insurance.

The heart of a universal health care system MUST be a single-payer system or a system for subsidizing private insurance premiums or some mixture. And everyone MUST participate. It cannot pencil out otherwise.

Those of you who fundamentally object to the core idea of a universal health care system - I get where you're coming from. I just disagree that we can ever go back. The pre-ACA system was making most folks unhappy, and going back to it will just remind voters of all the ways the market failed them.

I've always thought the Swiss system would be a good fit for the US. Philosophically, it's not my first choice, but I could sure live with it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Switzerland
In reference to bolded type:

I don't get it. I don't get it at all. If someone objects to universal health care, it basically means that they are okay with people dying because they can't afford medical treatment. It is as simple and stark as that, as much as well-meaning people would like to tell themselves otherwise. I realize that sounds very harsh, but sometimes the truth is like that.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:36 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
single payer is the obvious solution and everyone knows it. The only reason we don't have it, is because stupid short sighted Americans continue to vote for a party that hates them so much it actual wants them to die rather than help them with healthcare insurance.

think about it. Paul Ryan and Donald Trump hate lower income Americans so much they would rather tens of thousands of them DIE than help them with healthcare costs.

Now that is some eugenics level hatred.
It seems that many people have not yet understood that this administration and congress is not "for the people". It is for the rich and their agenda is for them to become richer, while the rest of us descend into peonage. Trump and that smirking weasel Ryan are thinking that they wouldn't have to provide any healthcare for us and they could still survive. Are they correct about this?

Old 03-14-2017, 11:00 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
It seems that many people have not yet understood that this administration and congress is not "for the people". It is for the rich and their agenda is for them to become richer, while the rest of us descend into peonage. Trump and that smirking weasel Ryan are thinking that they wouldn't have to provide any healthcare for us and they could still survive. Are they correct about this?
Absolutely not correct. I think alot of these Repugs who want to repeal and strip people of Medicaid are out of touch with what their constituents really want now. Things have change as evident by all the protests coming out of these town halls. Unfortunately Repugs are acting like Trump these days by denying, lying, hiding and not facing reality.

At this point, I think the only thing they will listen to is the people's votes come 2018. Hopefully by that time enough people will have come to their senses and vote the Repugs out of Congress.

Kudos to Newsmax for that column.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:07 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,380 times
Good. Medicaid For All, with little, if any, out of pocket expense (I prefer none at all, but at this point, I'll take 'up to $50 per visit', irrational as that objectively is).

To paraphrase (indeed, almost directly quote) Kyle Kulinski of his Secular Talk channel

All nations ration the amount and type of health care a person gets certainly all. Other economically advanced nations ration it based on a person's needs. America rations it based on a person's wallet size.

Obamacare is far from perfect, but at least it slowed the rate of health care increases. Obamacare was the best Obama could come up with, giving a fanatically intransigent Republican congress that refused any compromise with him on health care. So we got mandates for everyone to buy health insurance in order to increase the risk pool, so that the healthy could subsidize the sick. At least (last I checked anyway) health insurers could not deny you coverage due to a preexisting condition. Any way you look at it, the insurance companies are the ones that benefit.

Yeah, we Americans gave the "free market" approach to health care a chance, and it doesn't work. Time to copy the (gasp!) French way of doing things, or at least the Canadian or British way.

Also, a Canadian citizen and MSNBC host Ali Velshi told the Canada-US health care situation straight forward to a Freedom Caucus US Representative
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD1hi5apzOU&lc

Last edited by Phil75230; 03-14-2017 at 11:52 PM..

Old 03-14-2017, 11:08 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
I think this is another well played by Trump. Conservatives better go a,one with his plan, or else looking to single payer system. Which is worst in their mind. Their only chance to repleal and reduce entitlement.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

Switzerland has a population of 8 million relatively health, risk adverse people. The overweight/ obesity rate is about 38% vs 75% in the US. The people take more personal responsibility for their own health and are less vulnerable to a host of diseases.

In contrast, 20% of the US population has been diagnosed with Diabetes, the average cost to treat is more than $9k a year.

There is no public insurance option in Switzerland. It's all private. Insurers are not allowed to discriminate by age or condition. The 22 year old pay the same premium as an 82 year old. The Swiss do not allow insurers to profit from the sale of basic insurance. Government subsidizes the premiums of about 40% of the population. Most people carry supplimental plans to help pay for what the basic plan will not.

The government owns and/ or operates most hospitals who do not compete or advertize. They regulate the price of medications. An MD comprised Comparitive- Effectiveness Panel determines protocols for treatments/ medications. A similar concept was in the early version of ACA. Some politicians called it a death panel.

In other words, the Swiss Government has substantial control of the cost of healthcare.

The ACA is legislation defining what is insurance, who gets insured and how it's paid for. It never sought to control the cost of healthcare. Given Congress twice denied Medicare the ability to negotiate/ regulate the cost of medication, during the Bush 2 years, I assume trying a third time was a non- starter.

If the overweight/ obesity rate in the US were magically halved, the cost of healthcare and thus health insurance premiums would substantially decline. Instead, it seems easier to blame government, politics, greedy insurers, hospitals and healthcare providers and devise manufacturers instead of taking more responsibility for our own health.

We seem to want our cake and literally eat it, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies