Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: We are all immigrants in America
YES 53 25.00%
NO 159 75.00%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:51 AM

275 posts, read 185,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskingIguana View Post
No, you're making this up. They could return just fine. That's the majority of the cases that came to the USA. Don't cherry pick a couple cases and apply it to all of them to try and advance your political talking-point.

Anyways, the USA does not need millions of war refugees, I'm sorry but my heart is not big enough for stupidity.
The Scots coming on the 1600 and 1700 (which are the ones in the original message) could not, those were fleeing prosecution.
The ones coming on 1800/1900 were regular immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 10:06 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
President Obama disagrees with you on this point and so does the dictionary. He called black people descendants of immigrants. They were forced and it was evil, but they did take up permanent residence in a new land - by force, but force/freewill is not mentioned in the definition.

"Unless you are one of the first Americans, a Native American, we are all descended from folks who came from someplace else -- whether they arrived on the Mayflower or on a slave ship, whether they came through Ellis Island or crossed the Rio Grande." -Obama

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...ation-ceremony

11 Times Barack Obama Compared Slaves To Immigrants

Also, African-Americans, except for recent immigrants from Africa are pretty much guaranteed to have some white ancestry - and about 1/4th of it on average. You seem to be selectively warping your definition to make whites immigrants, but not other groups for political purposes, - so there you go. Blacks typically have about 1/4th of ancestry descended from white immigrants.

You are a descendant of all of your genetic lines, not just 74% of it. Would you let Elizabeth Warren, who is probably only ~1% Native American get away with claiming to be only Native American in this argument? Pretend that she isn't a liberal when you answer.

If you go by the actual definition of immigrant, than yes they are. I realize that reality and politics do not mix well.

Also, are you a history denier that denies that Native Americans came over in multiple waves? Do you deny history that Native Americans were not static and moved around and intruded on other Native American land and resources? Do you deny the reality that Native Americans are not one monolithic group ?- Because your faulty logic seems to make such an assumption. Do you deny history that Native Americans had conflict with one another over land, resources, etc...in part due to immigration pre-Columbus?
My logic isn't faulty, and I didn't say a thing about Indians being Noble Savages. Of course they fought each other just like people did all over the world. Still, Indians aren't immigrants. At best they're migrants.

And trying to assert white ancestry for African Americans is just laughable on your part. Most of us can't identify a white ancestor except by a DNA test. Therefore we don't count 'em. For me, it's as if it's not even a possibility. I'm 100% black and will remain that way until I see proof that I'm not.

So no... we aren't the descendants of immigrants.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:10 AM

416 posts, read 253,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nam2015 View Post
The Scots coming on the 1600 and 1700 (which are the ones in the original message) could not, those were fleeing prosecution.
The ones coming on 1800/1900 were regular immigrants.
Quote:
When did the Scottish come to the US?

The first Scots began coming to the New World in the early 1600's, Emigration picked up during the Cromwellian Civil War in Britain, as many Scots from both sides were transported to the American Colonies in the mid-1600's. The Jacobite rebellions of 1715 and 1745 also saw numbers of Scotsmen transported to America, as did the Highland Clearances which came somewhat later. Scottish emigrants who had gone to northern Ireland as colonists of the Ulster plantations in the first half of the 16th century also emigrated to America in the early 1700's. [MOD CUT/copyright]
Scotland Guide - Scottish History - Scots emigration/immigration to the US

Coming because of poverty doesn't make you a refugee, it makes you a settler or an immigrant. I don't know where you get most of your nonsense.

Anyways cool fact, by male line I trace all the way back to William Wallace. A genetic test proved I have the same Y-DNA haplogroup as him.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-17-2017 at 11:44 AM..

Old 03-17-2017, 10:13 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who's shutting the door? We allow in 1 million legal immigrants annually in keeping with our ability to provide them with jobs and resources without it negatively impacting our own citizens. We cannot however allow everyone in the world to come here. We can't be the flophouse and employment agency to the whole world. It would be committing national suicide. Surely, you understand this?
Could you be more right?

Old 03-17-2017, 11:32 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
My logic isn't faulty, and I didn't say a thing about Indians being Noble Savages. Of course they fought each other just like people did all over the world. Still, Indians aren't immigrants. At best they're migrants.

And trying to assert white ancestry for African Americans is just laughable on your part. Most of us can't identify a white ancestor except by a DNA test. Therefore we don't count 'em. For me, it's as if it's not even a possibility. I'm 100% black and will remain that way until I see proof that I'm not.

So no... we aren't the descendants of immigrants.
So you deny the dictionary definition of immigrant.

So you deny history and pretend Native Americans didn't come over in multiple waves and intrude upon other groups already here.

So you deny the diversity of and existence of different Native American nations that traveled into other nations and fought.

So you deny the DNA of people in regards to if they are factually descendants or not.

You can't honestly "think" any of this, you must be substituting reality for political purposes.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:24 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
What's the rule for who is considered an immigrant? Does it only count if your generation and your parents' generation were born elsewhere? What if your grandparents, great-grandparents, great-great-grandparents, or great-great-great-grandparents who were born elsewhere? Where do you draw the line?

Old 03-17-2017, 01:27 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
What's the rule for who is considered an immigrant? Does it only count if your generation and your parents' generation were born elsewhere? What if your grandparents, great-grandparents, great-great-grandparents, or great-great-great-grandparents who were born elsewhere? Where do you draw the line?

It's really quite simple. If you were born here you are a native born citizen not an immigrant. The only exception would be babies born here from illegal aliens. It's merely been a PC policy to deem them so but they still aren't immigrants.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:28 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's really quite simple. If you were born here you are a native born citizen not an immigrant. The only exception would be babies born here from illegal aliens. It's merely been a PC policy to deem them so but they still aren't immigrants.
Exactly!

Old 03-17-2017, 02:06 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Exactly!
the saying goes We are a COUNTRY of immigrants... and you may lose your heritage - change your name drop a few parts of it- - but won't change it- you are who your forefathers were. we live the law of the land per the last ruling, so not pro illegal-- But what is interesting- when we talk about forefathers, they come up really quick when amendment 2 is questioned-

Old 03-17-2017, 02:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
the saying goes We are a COUNTRY of immigrants... and you may lose your heritage - change your name drop a few parts of it- - but won't change it- you are who your forefathers were. we live the law of the land per the last ruling, so not pro illegal-- But what is interesting- when we talk about forefathers, they come up really quick when amendment 2 is questioned-
well then, since i was born here in this country, that makes me a native born american, by law and by constitutional amendment. but i am also part american indian as well, thus in two ways i am truly native american, so get off my land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies