Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 12:20 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,668,264 times

Advertisements

This is such an unbelievable crisis and I can't think of another way than to start created rehabilitation centers and making the medication that stops it available everywhere.

It's mute testimony to the opioid addiction plague that has been ravaging Ohio — a 20-foot-long air conditioned trailer with room for 18 bodies.

The Stark County coroner in Canton had a "cold storage mass casualty trailer" trucked-in on Saturday because the morgue was overflowing with bodies, nearly half of them victims of drug overdoses.

Too Many Bodies in Ohio Morgue, so Coroner Gets Death Trailer - NBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 01:06 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,608,492 times
From your link:

"We're up 20 percent this year," he said. "Our suicide rate is also up. The drug problem is costing us a significant amount of money. We're spending five digits every month on toxicology tests.'

That's because drug abusers are overdosing on a variety of things these days.

"The new thing this month is mixing meth with carfentanil," Walters said.

What is carfentanil?

"It's an animal tranquilizer 100 times more powerful than fentanyl," he said. "It's used on big animals like elephants and tigers. It's crazy."

Carfentanil is an opioid added to heroin and Meth.

I am a long time on again/off again volunteer in a hospital detox/treatment facility.

Drug treatment is business, big business.going inpatient for 21-30 days can easily cost $20,000 and I am not talking about the cushy celebrity rehabs. 21-30 days is nothing. 6 months has a better shot.

Detox is the pause that refreshes.

Treatment does not cure addiction. It is a revolving door.

Prison does not cure addiction.

Overdosing does not cure addiction.

Many manage to quit one substance and then resort to another substance before going back to their substance of choice.

There is no magic pill that cures addiction.

Drug treatment is business, big business.

The countries with the least drug related problems impose draconian consequences. The people seem to get it and avoid drugs or associating with people into drugs.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:17 PM

25,788 posts, read 21,942,589 times
Well, we all know that liberals oppose "draconian consequences", but there has to be an incentive, strong one to give up an addiction. I have read on addiction, most do not give them up or simply switch to something else. Not sure what drives these people. The Wall combined with electronic surveillance and more manpower would help slow illegal drugs from coming into the country.

Pretty much an opiate addict is a dead man/woman walking, meth too from what I have seen and heard. It isn't like these people don't understand what these drugs do. Perhaps their real issue is mental illness which could be treated. If they are just stupid...........

I thought Kasich said he was doing a great job as governor there and everyone was like in hog heaven. Guess not.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:20 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,463,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Well, we all know that liberals oppose "draconian consequences", but there has to be an incentive, strong one to give up an addiction. I have read on addiction, most do not give them up or simply switch to something else. Not sure what drives these people. The Wall combined with electronic surveillance and more manpower would help slow illegal drugs from coming into the country.

Pretty much an opiate addict is a dead man/woman walking, meth too from what I have seen and heard. It isn't like these people don't understand what these drugs do. Perhaps their real issue is mental illness which could be treated. If they are just stupid...........

I thought Kasich said he was doing a great job as governor there and everyone was like in hog heaven. Guess not.
I don't hear much about Kansas being a paradise on Earth! How's Brownie doin'?

Old 03-15-2017, 01:21 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,856,006 times
Ok I'll be the bad guy and say it. It is self inflicted. It is a choice they make. Darwin scores a huge win and we as a species are better for it. Anyone dumb enough to do meth deserves what follows. Anyone dumb enough to mix meth with anything else absolutely deserves the death that awaits them. It is self inflicted.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:21 PM

22 posts, read 25,613 times
While it was well-intended, I think that cutting people off of their painkillers - which was largely done in 2013-14 after hydrocodone was reclassified as a stronger controlled substance - turned out to completely backfire and it's created this monster of heroin/fentanyl addictions which has led to overdose deaths from not knowing what is in 'the stuff' that many former painkiller addicts are buying on the streets. Many of these folks who have died from overdoses had no street experience and had no clue what they were getting themselves into. Even though the source of this addiction was largely attributed to prescription pain pills, many were at least somewhat functional, sane and alive while on them.

When a doctor has a patient getting 180 hydrocodone tablets a month, there must be some kind of step-down in place to ween them off responsibly. This was not done in a way that would have been successful for the patient. It was largely the DEA, who put the fear of God in the doctors, because they were at risk of losing their license to practice medicine and in some cases, serving jail time. When doctors were made aware of this, many of them immediately cut their pain patients off, some refused to even accept new patients being prescribed opiates, and I knew of some who even retired for good because of how uncomfortable it was just to see patients.

This whole thing has been a lose-lose. Those who were cut off their prescription opiates - some turned to the street drugs, overdosed and died; others committed suicide, and those who were elderly and/or lifelong disabled had to go through tremendous hoops and monthly doctor visits just to get half of the prescriptions they were getting previously. And in many cases in 2017, you won't get narcotic pain medication for anything other than a day.

I get that this is a crisis and an emergency, but they way this was handled from the beginning is largely what created this disaster. Medical professionals got scared and dropped these patients like a hot potato and let them fend for themselves. What did they think would happen? Cutting their patients off did nothing to stop the dependency issues - they just found other very dangerous ways to obtain their pills.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:24 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,934,521 times
Drug addiction is a mental health problem. A national health care system and a strong public safety net would help tremendously. But Trump seems to be more concerned about tax breaks for the donor class and propping up big pharma and the military industrial complex. The American people suffer as a result.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:24 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,886,284 times
And of course, tRumpcare decimates the addiction services that are needed in states that voted his way...Ohio, Maine, WVA.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.af0783622b18

Old 03-15-2017, 01:25 PM

35,563 posts, read 20,897,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagara716 View Post
While it was well-intended, I think that cutting people off of their painkillers - which was largely done in 2013-14 after hydrocodone was reclassified as a stronger controlled substance - turned out to completely backfire and it's created this monster of heroin/fentanyl addictions which has led to overdose deaths from not knowing what is in 'the stuff' that many former painkiller addicts are buying on the streets. Many of these folks who have died from overdoses had no street experience and had no clue what they were getting themselves into. Even though the source of this addiction was largely attributed to prescription pain pills, many were at least somewhat functional, sane and alive while on them.

When a doctor has a patient getting 180 hydrocodone tablets a month, there must be some kind of step-down in place to ween them off responsibly. This was not done in a way that would have been successful for the patient. It was largely the DEA, who put the fear of God in the doctors, because they were at risk of losing their license to practice medicine and in some cases, serving jail time. When doctors were made aware of this, many of them immediately cut their pain patients off, some refused to even accept new patients being prescribed opiates, and I knew of some who even retired for good because of how uncomfortable it was just to see patients.

This whole thing has been a lose-lose. Those who were cut off their prescription opiates - some turned to the street drugs, overdosed and died; others committed suicide, and those who were elderly and/or lifelong disabled had to go through tremendous hoops and monthly doctor visits just to get half of the prescriptions they were getting previously. And in many cases in 2017, you won't get narcotic pain medication for anything other than a day.

I get that this is a crisis and an emergency, but they way this was handled from the beginning is largely what created this disaster. Medical professionals got scared and dropped these patients like a hot potato and let them fend for themselves. What did they think would happen? Cutting their patients off did nothing to stop the dependency issues - they just found other very dangerous ways to obtain their pills.
cutting people off of their painkillers - which was largely done in 2013-14 after hydrocodone was reclassified as a stronger controlled substance - turned out to completely backfire and it's created this monster of heroin/fentanyl

This is exactly what has happened -and big pharma is to blame- but who will make them accountable-- NOBODY

Old 03-15-2017, 01:28 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,507,613 times
I'd like to see free drug rehab, free mental health treatment, free implantable birth control and condoms, and less welfare, no school access for anyone here illegally, and no public aid for illegal aliens or legal immigrants not here for at least 5 yrs. I'd like foreign aid cut off or reduced by half. Those measures should pay for drug treatment, mental health treatment and bc.
Our priorities are screwed up.
Make pot legal and tax it like cigs and alcohol and you could fund the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies