Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:22 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are millennials. I am a Democrat and was a Hillary supporter... but this isn't about me. My husband voted for Trump and his reasons seem to align with a lot of friends we have about our age who also voted for Trump.

My husband's predominant reason for voting for Trump was the promise of "good jobs coming back to the U.S".

Beyond that, he didn't necessarily agree with the Wall, mass deportations, etc. He's also Pro-Choice.

Both of us saw flaws in the ACA but neither of us wanted it repealed- just changed. Thankfully we get good insurance through his employer, but if we didn't, our family of 5 would have been on the hook for an unaffordable ACA plan. (I had checked a couple of times when DH was contemplating leaving his job).

I love, adore and respect my husband but he will be the first to tell you he isn't politically inclined, and never paid any attention to an election prior to this one. Macroeconomics is another area he never took any interest in or cares to understand. I'm not saying all millenials are like my husband, but in our circle, these have been common denominators.

My husband is an automotive mechanic right now, and earns enough between that and partial disability payments from the VA for me to be a stay at home mom, but we don't have a lot leftover for luxuries.

He construed Donald Trump's claims to mean that there would be hundreds of thousands of $40+/hour manufacturing jobs coming back to the U.S that he could walk right into.

*sigh*

Last edited by glamatomic; 03-21-2017 at 08:32 AM..

Old 03-21-2017, 08:29 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Many Millennials have gone from idealistic and optimistic, and very liberal circa 2008 to cynical and more conservative today. However, I would say college educated millennials still lean left, while those with high school or less are moving to the right.
I want to agree with this but even amongst those with Bachelors degrees or higher (myself and my husband and friends of ours) the split seems to be 50/50.

In fact, I think more of our friends (all with college educations) voted for Trump than Hillary.

That could partly be something to do with our geography though (Missouri).

Old 03-23-2017, 01:08 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
People still have le pen losing but I thought this was interesting. Sort of like trump poll numbers and predictive models that were wildly and comically inaccurate

Is Le Pen miles ahead in French polls? 'Secret polls' claim National Front candidate is actually far more popular with voters than official surveys forecast
Far-right candidate Marine Le Pen is forecast to lose in second round of election

Is Marine Le Pen actually miles ahead in French polls? | Daily Mail Online

Old 03-23-2017, 01:39 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
After a couple of years of Trump's YUGE political mistakes and failed Republican policies like healthcare, for example, millenials will come back to the Democratic party for the next couple of elections.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:39 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Trump won white millennials, very rare a republican wins young people.
Mitt Romney won 18-29 white people with 51%

Old 03-23-2017, 05:39 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I couldn't rep you again but, well said!

My daughter is a millennial and voted for Trump. She detests Hillary and thought Bernie was a loon. Also, she is married and a parent and she understood that the way the country was headed under Obama that if Hillary won, it would be more of the same. She knew that, for example, we couldn't just sit back and continue to allow illegals to come here and suck us dry. When her kids started school, she saw for herself how much their education was being hurt due to illegals taking away attention and resources while other kids got left out.
Sanders is a loon but Trump isn't?

Sanders has always held true to his beliefs - even when it was unpopular to do so. But he's a loon. Whatevs.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:42 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
My husband and I are millennials. I am a Democrat and was a Hillary supporter... but this isn't about me. My husband voted for Trump and his reasons seem to align with a lot of friends we have about our age who also voted for Trump.

My husband's predominant reason for voting for Trump was the promise of "good jobs coming back to the U.S".

Beyond that, he didn't necessarily agree with the Wall, mass deportations, etc. He's also Pro-Choice.

Both of us saw flaws in the ACA but neither of us wanted it repealed- just changed. Thankfully we get good insurance through his employer, but if we didn't, our family of 5 would have been on the hook for an unaffordable ACA plan. (I had checked a couple of times when DH was contemplating leaving his job).

I love, adore and respect my husband but he will be the first to tell you he isn't politically inclined, and never paid any attention to an election prior to this one. Macroeconomics is another area he never took any interest in or cares to understand. I'm not saying all millenials are like my husband, but in our circle, these have been common denominators.

My husband is an automotive mechanic right now, and earns enough between that and partial disability payments from the VA for me to be a stay at home mom, but we don't have a lot leftover for luxuries.

He construed Donald Trump's claims to mean that there would be hundreds of thousands of $40+/hour manufacturing jobs coming back to the U.S that he could walk right into.

*sigh*
When I see stuff like this I read:

"We think our jobs are more important than wasting millions of dollars on a wall which will fail, human and women's rights."

I'll be very honest and say I don't understand this mindset at all.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:37 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Amazing to see these numbers for support among the young for the right from America to France and all over Europe.

France's National Front Party Marine Le Pen Draws Youth Voters To The Far-Right : Parallels : NPR

" Right now the number one party with young people is the far-right National Front. Recent polls show Le Pen has 40 percent support among French youths aged 18 to 24, a startling fact for a country that's traditionally been known for its leftist youth movements."

Old 04-02-2017, 12:40 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Despite the repetition of the propaganda ministry, folks are finally waking up to the notion that compulsory charity, expropriation of property for the benefit of another, and being dominated by a faceless bureaucracy imposed by a perpetually bankrupt government is NOT better than Creator endowed rights to life, liberty, absolute ownership, inherent powers, natural rights, natural liberty, personal liberty, and so on.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:10 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
After a couple of years of Trump's YUGE political mistakes and failed Republican policies like healthcare, for example, millenials will come back to the Democratic party for the next couple of elections.
Once we get rid of those do-nothing democrats that holds this country hostage and obstructs people from doing their jobs while blaming it on ____, Trump will be here to stay for 8 years. There's no way I would accept people going democrat and turn this country into a third world dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies