Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 01:41 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I couldn't rep you again but, well said!

My daughter is a millennial and voted for Trump. She detests Hillary and thought Bernie was a loon. Also, she is married and a parent and she understood that the way the country was headed under Obama that if Hillary won, it would be more of the same. She knew that, for example, we couldn't just sit back and continue to allow illegals to come here and suck us dry. When her kids started school, she saw for herself how much their education was being hurt due to illegals taking away attention and resources while other kids got left out.

I'm glad to see the shift because so many young people I come across have never had the experience of being well paid and may not realize how bad things are today.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:57 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Millennials as a whole do not much care for the way politics is being done. It's why Bernie and Trump did so well. Both were resistant to the 'establishment' and seemed to support a more 'for the people' message. Trump doesn't impress me, primarily because I'm not convinced he believes in much of what he says. His race baiting and general rudeness turns me off, but his pro-worker stance is valuable, I'm just not sure if that's really where he is. I believe it from Bernie far more than Trump. Unlike many, I'd like Trump to succeed, but I'm not going to praise him uncritically as too many seem willing to do.

Millennials are overworked and underpaid (well, so are Americans as a whole to be fair). We ask for more pay and we're told we're entitled. Often, these older conservatives (that's who's typically making these complains, but it does come from all walks of life) are upset that young millennial families do not have a parent [read: mother] to stay home and take care of the kids, but we can't afford this. We're not paid enough. In order to make a comparable amount to what older generations made at our age, there needs to be working couples. Millennials really just want the same thing older generations got. We're not getting it and when we ask, we're too often ignored by the main party leaders. People like Trump and Sanders seem to speak to those issues better than the usual establishment.

I can say, I'm not fan of Trump, but I get his appeal. Despite his often rude demeanor, he's charming and funny and knows how to talk to people. I still hold that he's not qualified to hold the head of the executive office, but I understand why people were drawn to him. And I'll happily back him if his pro-worker and pro-people message actually starts showing up in his policy.

Since you mentioned race-baiting and low wages, I would like to get your take on legal immigration, guest worker programs and amnesty.

I oppose all three because I believe we have too many workers, as is.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:11 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
When I see stuff like this I read:

"We think our jobs are more important than wasting millions of dollars on a wall which will fail, human and women's rights."

I'll be very honest and say I don't understand this mindset at all.
Well, to be fair, not having a job = starve and die.

Having a job is a life or death matter, and all animals have a primal instinct of not dying.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:46 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
When I see stuff like this I read:

"We think our jobs are more important than wasting millions of dollars on a wall which will fail, human and women's rights."

I'll be very honest and say I don't understand this mindset at all.
Why is it hard?

A wall brings in no new jobs once completed. And trying to build a wall to shut out Mexicans is far too hot an issue to ever be easily passed. So the odds that it will never be built at all become greater. Trump needs to have some solid clout to use on Congress first to get that wall built. He has none at all at present.

A job is a dynamic thing. Jobs expand, shrink, change, become better or worse over time, and often lead to other jobs, but they all bring home the bacon in far more ways than wall building does. For a lot longer, too.

Trump said all the right things in the campaign, but he's screwed up his priorities ever since. If he really wanted to get some big accomplishments fast to use as leverage, he should have stuck with job creation.

For him, that meant going after his infrastructure repair bill first, last, and most of all, because it's a bill Congress can get behind. Fixing our roads and bridges is a hell of a lot more universally popular than building a dum-bass border wall.

How many Americans dive on a crappy road every day? How many Americans are ever going to see the border wall? That's your problem in a nutshell.

If infrastructure had been his first real priority, not Obamacare repeal, he could have had the funding for it by May, and the work could have begun by June. By next fall, thousands of people could have been working steadily for the first time in years. Making more money than they've made in years, too. And millions of drivers would see real results for their tax money every day. Not a one of them would think their money was badly spent.

And that money could have been spreading around to all the places where its needed the very most.

But no.

Sorry, didn't happen. Doesn't look good it will happen anytime soon. If ever.

Does Trump care? Nope. He hasn't driven anything but a golf cart in years.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:16 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Regionalism is part of it too. Berkely CA and Denton TX might as well be on different planets now.
I actually know a family who moved from Denton, TX (where they were natives) to Marin County, CA...and they love each place for it's own brand of charm. I live in The Woodlands, TX near Houston, but I met them when I lived in Marin County.

(BTW, It's Berkeley not Berkely)

Old 04-03-2017, 12:38 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
People still have le pen losing but I thought this was interesting. Sort of like trump poll numbers and predictive models that were wildly and comically inaccurate

Is Le Pen miles ahead in French polls? 'Secret polls' claim National Front candidate is actually far more popular with voters than official surveys forecast
Far-right candidate Marine Le Pen is forecast to lose in second round of election

Is Marine Le Pen actually miles ahead in French polls? | Daily Mail Online
Le Pen will lose in the second round because there isn't enough Far Right voters to win when its one on one, but if there's some big terror attack or something in France around that time that might swing it her way.

Of course if she wins, we'll know the Russians did it

Old 04-03-2017, 12:41 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
More millenials consider themselves an independent now they're not all like those mental midget UC Berkeley tools. That's just what the media wants you to think because that's all they show. I have like 5 colleges near me I didn't see or hear of any pro-Hillary nonsense organized by any of them.

Millennials went in debt for 100k to go to college for underwater basket weaving under the Obama regime and then had to settle for a 12 dollar an hour job.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:51 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Why are millennials supporting far right movements? (Trump,Marine Le Pen,Wilders etc.) (multiculturalism, generations)
Millennials supported Trump by not voting for anyone. Those who did vote, pulled 54% for Hillary.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:04 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,542 times
TL;DR: I think populism is what got Trump elected, not nationalism.

I don't think multiculturalism is actually as big a factor you many are making it. It's certainly not more prominent than it's always been. We could argue that the Middle Easter Muslim immigrants are just very different culturally from Americans, but the same was said about European Catholics or Chinese immigrants. We didn't even really want to take in many Jewish refugees escaping the Holocaust. We've always feared what's different. The only reason we don't still hate the Irish is because Catholic Americans and Irish Americans have been around long enough for it to no longer be a wide spread controversy. We got used to the changes that happened, as we always have.

I think a more prominent reason is that Trump isn't a typical politician. He doesn't talk like them and he doesn't act like them. And for many of us, myself included (I'm a millennial) this is somewhat of a turn off, but at the same time, many find it refreshing. I think it's asinine to say he understands what it's like to be a struggling American, but he still talks about it as if it's real, at least more real than how Hillary Clinton talked about it. It's that attention to people that makes people like Trump. He's a populist, as was Bernie Sanders, who I'd imagine would have beaten Trump in a "who can get more millennial votes" competition. Populism is particularly powerful when the mainstream political establishment seems less concerned with people. I mean, Bernie Sanders literally ran on politicians answering to special interests rather than their constituents. Trump's campaign had a similar, though significantly more nationalistic, message.

It was populism that buffered Trump's popularity. As with any populist movement, I recommend caution, particularly when it's very nationalist, and has a lot of racial undertones. This combination of things can historically lead problems. But, of course, it would be wise of the Democratic party to consider moving towards a more populist message. Probably the same sort of left wing populism FDR ran on (and what Bernie Sanders ran on... I'm still rather convinced that had he been the nominee, he'd be the president right now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies