Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 12:51 AM

983 posts, read 738,316 times

Advertisements

This kind of stuff really *****es me off:

Sgt Blackman cleared of murdering Taliban fighter | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
British soldier Alexander Blackman - better known as Marine A - was today sensationally cleared of murdering a Taliban fighter in Afghanistan and could be a free man by next week.

His wife Claire grinned and there were loud gasps and then cheers from his family, ex-Marines and other supporters as five top Court of Appeal judges quashed the conviction and reduced it to manslaughter.

Sergeant Blackman, who has already been in prison for three years, will face a new sentencing hearing in the next week but his legal team will argue he should be freed because of time served.
Kind of long but well worth reading. In short, a British Marine killed a subhuman Taliban person and got sent to prison due to idiots that care more about evil people than anything else.

I just LOVE this part:

Quote:
The judges said it was 'clear that a consequence was that he had developed a hatred for the Taliban and a desire for revenge'.
Gee...YA THINK?!?!? Why the HELL do you even ask these men to fight these subhuman scum if you aren't willing to let them completely and utterly annihilate them? They sure as hell don't have any such reservations. Really sad to see what cowards the west has become. The west needs less Merkels and Obamas and more Alexander the Greats and Vlad the Impalers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 02:03 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post

Gee...YA THINK?!?!? Why the HELL do you even ask these men to fight these subhuman scum if you aren't willing to let them completely and utterly annihilate them? They sure as hell don't have any such reservations. Really sad to see what cowards the west has become. The west needs less Merkels and Obamas and more Alexander the Greats and Vlad the Impalers.
I think there is a recruiting office somewhere near you.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:44 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
If this British Marine has to be punished like this, I wonder what would be the proper punishment for the people in charge who sent him there?

Old 03-16-2017, 04:55 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
back story
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_H...vince_incident

Old 03-16-2017, 05:02 AM

When Blackman was sentenced to 10 years, General Sir Nick Houghton called his actions a "heinous crime" and commented that "murder is murder".

Old 03-16-2017, 05:11 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
This kind of stuff really *****es me off:

Sgt Blackman cleared of murdering Taliban fighter | Daily Mail Online

Kind of long but well worth reading. In short, a British Marine killed a subhuman Taliban person and got sent to prison due to idiots that care more about evil people than anything else.

I just LOVE this part:

The incident took place in Helmand Province during Operation Herrick, part of the British effort in the War in Afghanistan. Blackman, of 42 Commando, Royal Marines, was part of a Marine patrol that came across an Afghan fighter in a field wounded by Apache Helicopter gunfire.

Blackman ordered the Afghan to be moved out of sight of the British Persistent Ground Surveillance System, a camera on a balloon above British Forward Operating Base Shazad, Helmand, covering the area Blackman's patrol had been sent to.

Video evidence played at the Marines' subsequent trial shows some of the patrol dragging the man across the field and then kicking him.

Blackman ordered Marine B and C to stop administering first aid to the insurgent and eventually shot the man in the chest with a 9 mm pistol, saying: "Shuffle off this mortal coil, you ****. It's nothing you wouldn't do to us." He then added: "I just broke the Geneva Convention."

Whilst I am pleased he will be freed, it should be noted that the Courts Martial didn't have that much choice, as currently Britrish Forces must adhere to both the Geneva Convention and the European Convention on Human Rights (Article 2 - The Right to Life), in terms of the latter it's been fully enshrined in British Law since 1998.

There is some debate as to whether the Armed Forces should be immune to the ECHR and other such legislation. He was initially given a life sentence but only with a reccomendation that he serve 8 years and be allowed out on licence, however he has now been found guilty of manslaughter due to diminished responsibility caused by the trauma of war, so will be most likely freed very shortly.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:37 AM

well, I suppose every Marine and soldier knows the rules of engagement, it is not a licence to kill. But...

Identified Combatant? Yes. Unarmed? Debatable. Get naked and prove it, or get shot at a distance.

It's not Western Society that created this dynamic.

This is a difficult question not because of the proscription against killing unarmed adversaries, but because of the way that Middle Eastern Warfare has changed the concept of "unarmed".

When he said, "There is nothing you wouldn't do to us." He wasn't lying, ya know?

My question is that, if murder is murder, then what is the proper punishment should be given to the people who sent him there?

Old 03-16-2017, 06:13 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, I suppose every Marine and soldier knows the rules of engagement, it is not a licence to kill. But...

Identified Combatant? Yes. Unarmed? Debatable. Get naked and prove it, or get shot at a distance.

It's not Western Society that created this dynamic.

This is a difficult question not because of the proscription against killing unarmed adversaries, but because of the way that Middle Eastern Warfare has changed the concept of "unarmed".

When he said, "There is nothing you wouldn't do to us." He wasn't lying, ya know?

My question is that, if murder is murder, then what is the proper punishment should be given to the people who sent him there?
It was a difficult case, for a start it was all caught on video which was presented to the Courts, secondly he shot an unarmed dying man on the ground, after other soldiers dragged him across a field whilst kicking him.

I do however agree this was a war situation that people have to make difficult situations, that the Taliban would not have showed a British Soldier any mercy, and that the man would have probably just lay dying anyway and if anything he was just putting him out of his misery, indeed it was possible the kindess thing to do.

What you get at the Courts whether in the UK or US is not Justice, you get the Law, and the Law currently states that this breaks Human Rights and the Geneva Convention, although I am pleased the Marine is to be released and that there may be some debate in terms of reform of the law in relation to the Armed Services.

The recent striking off of Lawyer Phil Shiner who had made fase and malicious allegations regarding British Soldiers was also a step in the right direction, as is the Government looking again at some Human Rights in relation to combat situations.

Human rights lawyer Phil Shiner struck off after 'dishonestly' bringing charges against British soldiers | The Independent

Plan for UK military to opt out of European convention on human rights - Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-16-2017 at 06:22 AM..

Old 03-16-2017, 07:00 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI7bZpCWRC8

I assume nobody can really imagine a real war, unless you were there yourself.

As a civilian, I certainly wouldn't judge. He aint a murderer, this much I do know.

His wife said he was a calm, very kind, generous good man; and his mother was absolutely right when she said, "I am not ashamed of him, he served his country." agreed agreed agreed

The so called "dying man" had a grenade hidden, I guess nobody talked about that, huh

Old 03-16-2017, 07:09 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I think there is a recruiting office somewhere near you.

Typical liberal.^^^ Support the Taliban and radical Islam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies