Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 08:41 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
How do you miss the inherent hypocrisy though?
That's a non-response. My post asked specific questions.

Perhaps the hypocrisy that non-answering reveals is what you miss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 08:42 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,091 times
My hub and I paid 22k in federal tax last year. We'll gladly cover their portion of funding to NPR, as well as the NEH and NEA.

You honestly can't expect me to pay for the Israel defence fund, can you?

Old 03-16-2017, 08:42 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
That's a non-response. My post asked specific questions.

Perhaps the hypocrisy that non-answering reveals is what you miss?
Your questions are rhetorical.

You're deflecting and that's fine because you're being transparent.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:47 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Give it time. This is a complex issue and corporations need time to make the decisions and the adjustments.
It is, that's why I don't buy into simplistic solutions.

Quote:
She may bring her production back, in time, because she would also be subject to the tariffs imposed. If it's a good business decision, she and many others will come back.
Tariffs are one of the simplistic solutions I have many questions about. What happens when other countries start playing the same game? for example.

Quote:
Do you pay more $$ for a product just because it's "made in America" if you can get the same thing for far less? how many Americans would do that?
Not enough information. Define "more $$" 10%? 25%? 50%? "made in America" with 100% American made parts or? I recently heard the tale end of an ad that stated "assembled in America" which I took to be an attempt at hiding foreign made content.

It is a very complex issue which is why I don't buy into believing a few sound-bites offer a real solution.

Quote:

Outrage about manufacturing overseas is BS if people aren't willing to make the voluntary choice of paying more

Kinda like manufacturing there yourself while denouncing others for doing the same?

Old 03-16-2017, 08:48 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Your questions are rhetorical.

You're deflecting and that's fine because you're being transparent.
No, the question is valid: Will you be happy to pay more for a product that you can buy for less?

Our market is flooded with less expensive products because we buy them. Companies will produce where they can do it less expensively. It's a business decision. If you and others didn't buy the stuff, it wouldn't dominate.

Stores like Dollar Tree are making money hand over fist, and 99% of their stuff comes from offshore (mostly China). It's also mostly krap. It's "disposable" merchandise, but people buy it by the cartloads.

Question is: will Americans "buy American?" if it costs more.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:27 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
No, the question is valid: Will you be happy to pay more for a product that you can buy for less?

Our market is flooded with less expensive products because we buy them. Companies will produce where they can do it less expensively. It's a business decision. If you and others didn't buy the stuff, it wouldn't dominate.

Stores like Dollar Tree are making money hand over fist, and 99% of their stuff comes from offshore (mostly China). It's also mostly krap. It's "disposable" merchandise, but people buy it by the cartloads.

Question is: will Americans "buy American?" if it costs more.
Dollar Tree's CEO didn't run for President on "buy American."

Old 03-16-2017, 09:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
I live in WV where we coal mine. I'll pay for PBS many times over as opposed to want to pay for the stupid, wasteful, ignorant wars.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:48 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
That was Clinton. go to the root.. Clinton killed the clothing industry here and it all went to other countries. There were thousands of factories across America making clothing. They are all gone. The garment district in NYC is gone and has been gone for decades.So get real..

Anyone who sent jobs to China and Mexico are the left.. they want opened borders and give our jobs to other countries ..
Bill Clinton killed the clothing industry? Don't be ridiculous. Employment in the US clothing industry reached its all-time peak in June of 1948. Bill Clinton was 2 years old!

https://www.bls.gov/mlr/1995/08/art6full.pdf

The US clothing industry was killed by people like you and me, who would rather pay $20 for a shirt than $60.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:56 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Can we choose what we pay for now? Great!

I'm not paying for the stupid wall, I'm not paying for more unnecessary military spending, and I'm not paying for Sessions' drug wars.

This is a great idea!

Old 03-16-2017, 10:02 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Trump wants to bring the jobs back.. and you hate the guy who wants to do just that... sooooo....who side are you on?? China and Mexican factories I would say!!
Who's side is Trump on?

He complains about loosing jobs in America but he had no problem, say, using steel from China instead of America. His clothing lines are made offshore as are the ones sold by his daughter's company. Why didn't he practice what he preached, even thought it would have cost him a little more money. He's a billionaire, as he told us. What is a little self sacrifice for someone who could afford it? I missed the announcement where Ivanka is moving all production back to the US.

There are small companies in this country that do source all their materials and labor from the US. Maybe the Trump's should walk the walk like these companies do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies