Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:45 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
What do you think it means? Everyone has a right to live.
No one has the right to stick a knife in your chest or push you off a cliff. Yes, I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 07:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
USA's version of rationing: Lose insurance and die. How's that for you?
Kind of a lame response don't you think..... How'd you like to face this scenario? A "trolly" is a gurney btw.

Quote:
Nearly 80,000 seriously ill patients spent more than four hours waiting on trolleys to be treated after being admitted to A&E, with an unprecedented 988 patients waiting on trolleys for longer than 12 hours.

The number of 12-hour trolley waits has risen from 550 in December and is up six times since January last year, when 158 people waited more than 12 hours for treatment.

In January 2015, 650 patients waited more than 12 hours to be treated. Some hospitals have said they are now using “corridor nurses” to cope with a severe lack of available beds.
NHS sees worst month ever as A&E waiting times hit new record in January | The Independent

Old 03-16-2017, 07:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
The US system is better. Poor die. Wealthy live.

One less half- or un-employable loser using resources better used by the wealthy.
Really? Please show some facts that back up your assertions because as far as I know if any sick person presents themselves at a hospital they are treated regardless of their bank account or lack thereof...

Old 03-16-2017, 07:50 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
The Government needs to look at funding and indeed possible tax rises and it should be noted that the NHS is far cheaper to operate and more efficient than the US Healthcare system.

People may be ready to pay extra penny on tax for NHS, Tim Farron says - Guardian

National Insurance rise may solve NHS and social care crisis, says MP

NHS crisis: Public back tax rises to boost healthcare - poll

Rescue Our Health Services Through A NHS Tax | The Huffington Post

Old 03-16-2017, 07:53 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskingIguana View Post
Where did you pull that from?

U.S. lags behind peer countries in mobility | Economic Policy Institute

The US is lagging behind developed countries in social mobility.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:55 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
The Tories are purposefully gutting the NHS so they can declare it dead and instil a private system and make their rich friends even richer.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:55 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
U.S. lags behind peer countries in mobility | Economic Policy Institute

The US is lagging behind developed countries in social mobility.
Trumpers will claim it as fake news. No point giving them the truth.

Thankfully, I'm in a position as an engineer to help make their jobs worthless by automating it. Just give it time.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:57 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Really? Please show some facts that back up your assertions because as far as I know if any sick person presents themselves at a hospital they are treated regardless of their bank account or lack thereof...
Absolute BS. Try getting any care without insurance. Unless you are closer to death they will just shrug you off and hound you with bills. You have to be basically in an immediate life threatening situation to receive any kind of meaninful help, not necessary competent or helpful, and at that point it is too late in many cases. If you count on hospital generocity, see a shrink asap, you live in a delusionary world.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:57 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskingIguana View Post
Of course, when you go public, there will still be people turned away for critical health saving services. Expenses can only be so much before you're out of budget.

So basically the Single Payer System hurts the middle and upper-middle class the most in favor of the poor. The reason it hurts the upper-middle classes is their current plans provide much better coverage than anything on this public plan.

The wealthy are hurt as well but they will always be able to get the best health services and pay out of pocket and around those waiting lines and rationing.

So, I always ask, should we really favor the poor over the upper-middle classes? The poor who are by definition not very productive members of society over our successful white-collard classes (lawyers, doctors, engineers)?

Like I said, it's a race to the bottom. This is a reason why upward class mobility is much harder in Europe - their upper-middle classes are slammed and it's this class that transitions into wealthy with hard work, a breakthrough, or just years of intelligent saving.

So do you think that if a poor person comes into emergency with a heart attack and a rich person comes in with a sprained ankle the doctors should leave the heart attack victim to serve the rich person? Of course you mustn't but otherwise your comments make little sense. Health service is decided by need not my your worth and if you are looking at worth I think a snow plow operator is worth more to society than an investment banker but you might think differently. So if ten people need a knee operation they go in the order of either first come first operated on or the most serve first and the least needed last. Going in the order of how much money they have is not the way.

But your system is best if you think poor people should get only what is left over from the worthy folks? What about the children of the poor? Are they only of value according to their parents worth and earnings?

As a Canadian I like the fact that working or not, old or young when I go to the hospital I am waited on according to my needs not my wealth. I show my heath care card and after that everything is decided on by my needs not my wealth but I know there are some waiting times, especially for elective surgery but all the people I know that have urgent health care needs gets to see the help they need and we all have the right to have annual check ups or go see a health care professional if we suspect that there is something wrong so that we can catch problems early. This might be why we have a lower infant mortality rate or a longer life expectancy.

When you claim that it is treating the poor in favour of the middle class what you are actually opposed to is the treatment of the poor the same as the treatment of the middle class and you think that is a bad thing to do as they are not as important as you. Some of the poor are the ones who create the food you eat, and provide the services you need. They are people and they and their families are just as good as you are. If having a single payer system means you need to treat them as equals and that bothers you I can see why you would be opposed to it.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:58 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Kind of a lame response don't you think..... How'd you like to face this scenario? A "trolly" is a gurney btw.

NHS sees worst month ever as A&E waiting times hit new record in January | The Independent
You can find all sorts of anecdotal stories all over the developed world. Especially if right wingers use the tactic of cutting funding and point at the inevitable result and say its time to privatize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies