Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 02:40 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
WOW.

So much anger and hatred.

I hate to tell you but many of the elderly you are complaining about worked their asses off for DECADES and yes, we SHOULD be caring for them. Getting screwed? How about working for 50 years paying taxes and then being told you are a moocher and vermin for daring to need help in your twilight years?
For God's sake, stop the ridiculous DRAMA!

I'm 72. I worked my tail off and totally supported myself all my adult life. I have never taken a penny in any kind of taxpayer funded aid.

I live just fine on Social Security and a small pension. What the hell do you think old people need so much money for? If their houses and cars aren't paid for, it's nobody's fault but their own.

Your attitude is sickening. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY cares for me. I take care of myself and have all my life. What's wrong with you that you think elderly people are so damned helpless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 02:40 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Listen lady. Hit a nerve? You don't like me telling the truth? You encourage laziness and poor choices and that's not caring, it's enabling. Don't give your elitist, holier than thou attitude unless you can handle it being thrown back at you.

As for "the children", obviously you or the mother didn't care so much for "the children" when they were having them. Bringing children into the life of poverty is the cruelest, most selfish thing you can do so I don't want to hear whining "what about the children". People have enough to pay for without having to pay for everyone else's offspring.
Oh you edited now.

The only nerve you hit is my annoyance with greed. Can't stand the ****, never could. Greed is the pestilence in this society.

You call me elitist and holier than thou. Nah, I was raised with compassion, empathy and a heart. That used to be a good thing. Now I'm called a snowflake, a cry baby, a whiner, an elitist, holier than thou etc because I dare to care about people who are in bad situations even though I myself am lucky enough to live in a warm home filled with food, love, compassion and kindness. I feel everyone should have food in their belly and support to grow into a responsible adult. I'm happy to pay money towards these endeavors which is why I wholly support my taxes going to said programs and why my husband and I contribute money to several of them in addition to lending elbow grease to local charities.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:41 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Yeah because none of us pay federal taxes or donate money to these places. GMAFB already.
Bottom line, People have enough to pay for AND need to save for their own elderly years. While at the same time they are expected to pay for everyone else's offspring and handout.

Let me guess... you're shocked Trump was elected right? I'll clue you in. People are fed up with attitudes like yours. People are fed up with being robbed to pay for everyone else.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:42 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post

I'm 72. I worked my tail off and totally supported myself all my adult life. I have never taken a penny in any kind of taxpayer funded aid.

I live just fine on Social Security and a small pension. What the hell do you think old people need so much money for? If their houses and cars aren't paid for, it's nobody's fault but their own.

Your attitude is sickening. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY cares for me. I take care of myself and have all my life. What's wrong with you that you think elderly people are so damned helpless?
You're right.

I could care less. About all of them. Their healthcare, well being- all of it. There should be no social security. I've been planning for a world without it so they could cut that too and I wouldn't cry a tear. I have no sympathy for the boomers entering retirement without a plan. Suffer.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post

I'm sorry that its so hard for people to understand that THEIR experience doesn't speak for all. Most people learn that lesson as they age, but sadly not all do.

I'm happy you can take care of yourself. Instead of being so angry about others getting the help they need, perhaps that energy would be better served by being grateful for good health and a pension and perhaps pitching in at charities that could use your time and talents to help others.

Enjoy the rest of your evening Bella Mia. <3

Well, now wait a minute here:

https://www.ssa.gov/news/press/facts...alSecurity.htm

Quote:
How is Social Security Financed?

Social Security is financed through a dedicated payroll tax. Employers and employees each pay 6.2 percent of wages up to the taxable maximum of $118,500 (in 2016), while the self-employed pay 12.4 percent.

In 2015, $795 billion (85 percent) of total Old-Age and Survivors Insurance and Disability Insurance income came from payroll taxes. The remainder was provided by interest earnings ($93 billion or 10 percent) and revenue from taxation of OASDI benefits ($32 billion or 3 percent), and $325 million in reimbursements from the General Fund of the Treasury - most resulting from the 2012 payroll tax legislation.

The payroll tax rates are set by law, and for OASI and DI, apply to earnings up to a certain amount. This amount, called the earnings base, rises as average wages increase.

Oh golly, it does seem that you take a "kind of taxpayer funded aid." Whoopsie daisy.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
$20 000 child care costs per child is the reality in the big cities whether you like it or not. You just dont like to face the reality that privatized user fees on everything hurt people far more than taxes, including sales taxes.

We wouldnt even have the need for Meals on Wheels if we had a proper publicly funded safety net and strengthened SS, SSI and SSDI.
Oh, Bullfeathers! You obviously don't know anything about elder care. How is an elderly person, living alone, unable to perhaps see to even prepare meals, supposed to get a meal from SS, SSI, and SSDI?

Why, just look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meals_on_Wheels
MOW programs exist in the Australia, Canada, Ireland, the UK and the US. Which of these countries have VATs? Why, all of them except the US!

Old 03-20-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Bottom line, People have enough to pay for AND need to save for their own elderly years at the same time they are expected to pay for everyone else's offspring and handout.

Let me guess. You're shocked Trump was elected right. I'll clue you in. People are fed up with attitudes like yours. People are fed up with being robbed to pay for everyone else.
Bottom line...many of us who pay taxes and donate money and time to these endeavors have no problem giving money through taxes and donations. So next time...maybe don't assume those of us who support these programs are worthless *******s? Is that asking too much?

As for being fed up? Too frigging bad. I'm fed up with attitudes like yours. See how that works?

Old 03-20-2017, 02:45 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
You're right.

I could care less. About all of them. Their healthcare, well being- all of it. There should be no social security. I've been planning for a world without it so they could cut that too and I wouldn't cry a tear.
You may think you are making a lot of money now, did all the right things life, but you cannot know if life will throw you a curve, and you will need services. Never say never.

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
I'm sorry that its so hard for people to understand that THEIR experience doesn't speak for all. Most people learn that lesson as they age, but sadly not all do.

I'm happy you can take care of yourself. Instead of being so angry about others getting the help they need, perhaps that energy would be better served by being grateful for good health and a pension and perhaps pitching in at charities that could use your time and talents to help others.

Enjoy the rest of your evening Bella Mia. <3
Then get out your checkbook and write a check instead of preaching that others should pay. Make it worth writing while your at it.

8,122 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
"Private user fees on everything", LOL!

Where do you get this 20K figure for child care? Here's what a reliable source says:
https://www.babycenter.com/0_how-muc...are_1199776.bc
"There's no simple answer to this question. It depends on a number of variables, including: (w)here you live; (w)hat type of childcare you choose; (y)our child's age; (h)ow many hours a week your child spends in childcare. The average cost of center-based daycare in the United States is $11,666 per year ($972 a month), but prices range from $3,582 to $18,773 a year ($300 to $1,564 monthly), according to the National Association of Child Care Resource & Referral Agencies." Eight states have costs >$10K/year for infant/toddler care, in order of rank-Massachusetts, New York, Minnesota, Colorado, California, Illinois, Washington, and Wisconsin.
You need to be honest.

When my kids were babies/toddlers the absolutely lowest I've seen for full time was around 11k a year, and the highest was around 18k, and that was some years ago. Nowadays it is way higher.

Now, before you ask, no, I'm not in one of those states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies